The European Parliament posted this PSA on Thursday, the same day as the people were mowed down in Barcelona.  There were other incidents in Spain that day that may be related, as well.  On Friday there were knife attacks in both Finland and Germany.  I would really like to hear our European member's thoughts on both the video (3:14) and the immigration situation in their countries.

Lil_PrincessSynyster
The European Parliament posted this PSA on Thursday, the same day as the people were mowed down in Barcelona. There were other incidents in Spain that day that may be related, as well. On Friday there were knife attacks in both Finland and Germany. I would really like to hear our European member's thoughts on both the video (3:14) and the immigration situation in their countries.

The responses of the Europeans were decidedly outrage.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Merkel has opened the gates and allowed 100,000s of immigrants to flood all the major towns in Europe ...amongst these immigrants are a large percentage of terrorists and would be terrorists and we are getter murdered ...I don't know if the authorities realize what the ordinary person is thinking but unless they start getting rid of these people and sending them back to the countries they came from, then these weekly attacks will be daily....murder and rape and nothing is done...

JD JD

In response to “Merkel has opened the gates and allowed...

The replies to the post were decidedly negative, I noticed.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “The replies to the post were decidedly...

What is happening now, is completely different from any other migration that has taken place before...we see boatloads of young men and hardly any families...these people are here to ruin our countries, we are finding more and more **** rings and these are all Muslims , rape in Germany has risen to an all time high ...and we have one in five getting benefits and houses..there are some genuine people but this is going to get worse before or if it ever gets better...

JD JD

In response to “What is happening now, is completely...

As I have said elsewhere, by simple proximity you and the continent are getting an influx we are not seeing here.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “As I have said elsewhere, by simple proximity...

And we are not getting anything like the rest of Europe ....lets hope it stays that way...a few days ago a boat arrived on a beach in Spain and about 100 young men ran passed security and all disappeared , then this happens in Barcelona...not a coincidence....

JD JD

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “The responses of the Europeans were decidedly...

Scrolling down near the bottom, one poster said about 1,000 earlier posts, predominantly negative, had been deleted.

Bozette Bozette OP

I try to think back to when my grandparents emigrated (legally) to this country from Poland and Russia. They came in the early 1900s to a country where they didn't know the language, didn't know the culture or customs and had no **** assistance to rely on. At that time, in order to be admitted, you had to be healthy and you had to have a sponsor who would guarantee that you would not become a ward of the state. In spite of the difficulties in getting here, there were organizations who sponsored emigres so they could meet the qualifications. They taught them to at least speak English, made sure they had a place to live and found them jobs and eventually, they assimilated into our society.

The difference between the immigrants of yore and the immigrants of today is mainly that the early ones lived by Judeo-Christian principles which many of the newcomers do not. The earlier immigrants knew that when they got here, there would be no handouts from the government and they were prepared to work hard to earn their keep. Another great difference is that they were mostly educated or had skills.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I try to think back to when my grandparents...

Those organizations were generally community-based, run and funded by previous immigrants from the various countries. I don't know about elsewhere, but we have a large (if not the largest in the US) ME population in this area, and while I don't know about actual "organizations", there is a great deal of community-based support in both the Arab and Muslim populations here. We also tend to have a more educated population of immigrants from the ME than what Europe is now experiencing.

I know this isn't a popular view, but I'm speaking of the many ME immigrants I have and have had dealings with here, and they are hard-working people, supportive of new immigrants from their countries. While many are Muslim, there are also a great many Christian Arabs here. I have also worked with quite a few Mexican immigrants, and again, the ones I have dealt with have been hard-working people.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “Those organizations were generally...

I understand that not all are bad in any group. Yes, the earlier organizations sponsoring immigrants were privately funded. There was no welfare back then as we know it.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I understand that not all are bad in any...

I personally don't know any on welfare, though there must be. The one thing I have heard, but do not have any numbers on, is small-business start-up help. Given the sheer number here that do own small businesses, that is likely a possibility. On the one hand, I'd say that help should be given to Americans before immigrants and that no minority preference should be given. (As I said, I do not know the facts on this...I have heard it spoken of a lot, though.) On the other hand, while they tend to employ mostly family, they do have other employees, they sometimes extend credit (that was vital to my own small, seasonal business), and they are generally local mom-n-pops that live, work, and spend within their communities, keeping that money circulating there. I can see both sides to this.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “I personally don't know any on welfare...

It is well documented that immigrants are the ones who open most small businesses and employ locals. Here, where I live, is a very large Russian immigrant population. They have taken over or opened almost all of the small stores on the shopping strip. They don't want the business of non-Russians and they make it very clear. I've had my issues trying to shop in those stores. They are very insular - have no interest in the rest of the community. When I shop at the local supermarket I see many of them using food stamps.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “It is well documented that immigrants are the...

The immigrants here are very clanish, but welcome business from all. I've both bought from and sold to them...the tendency to want to negotiate gets a bit tiresome, and I have sometimes turned away jobs from some I felt might be troublesome, but overall I've had good dealings with them.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “The immigrants here are very clanish, but...

The Russian store owners are more than clannish. I stood on line waiting to pay for two tomatoes. The man in front of me finished and was leaving so I put my wares on the scale at which point, the cashier took the man after me on line saying that he was there first. When he finishes and the cashier repeated that same action with the man behind me again, I told him where to put his two tomatoes.

Linnster Linnster