Free speech rally draws a few dozen attendees, and a few thousand protesters. That's right, thousands of Americans just took to the streets, in effect protesting their own right to free speech, believing I suppose, that only Nazis believe in free speech...? Sh*t is getting weird.

MazeSunny_the_skepticSynyster HowlerAdaSukiesnowNeanderthal_MomdoerJustJimColoPhilboydStudge

DWF

Synyster BozetteAdaSukiesnow

Explained by Maze...

Boston - Organizers of the speech rally had said they were appealing to “libertarians, conservatives, traditionalists, classical liberals, Trump supporters or anyone else who enjoys their right to free speech." "All of us here, in many ways, are true patriots because, in spite of that noise out there, we’re here to stand up for something very fundamental, which is called free speech,” Shiva Ayyadurai told the rallygoers. But thousands of others, fearing that the free speech event would be a platform for neo-Nazis and white nationalists, joined a robust counterprotest. “This city has a history of fighting back against oppression, whether it’s dumping tea in the harbor or a bunch of dudes standing around with bandannas screaming at neo-Nazis,” said a 21-year-old protester who identified himself only as “Frosty” and wore an American flag to obscure much of his face.

Free speech goes both ways.

The counter-protesters were exercising their first amendment rights. The first amendment doesn't just apply to conservatives.

The first amendment does not guarantee you an audience and it does not guarantee that you will not be protested.

Americans are so spoiled they perceive that their rights are being violated when no such thing is occurring.

The first amendment is designed to prevent government censorship of free speech, like the kind that occurs all the time in places like China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, and many other places around the world. Even in Germany it's illegal to display the swastika and deny the Holocaust. We have no such prohibition here.

The first amendment was not designed to prevent two sides from protesting each other; it was not designed to prevent people from talking over each other. It will always be illegal to get violent, but not to march, talk, and yell.

Any rally can call themselves a "free speech" rally in order to make themselves look like the only good side. It doesn't mean that the other side was not exercising their right to free speech and free assembly as well. That's the beauty of free speech: it comes in many different shapes and forms; sometimes those forms seem contradictory even if they're not.

Thibault Thibault

Everyone there were expressing themselves with their right to free speech. It was just some spoke with more voices.

Carla Carla

In response to “Everyone there were expressing themselves...

The rally was in support of free speech, and thousands of people showed up to protest it. Both groups may have been exercising their right to free speech, but a few dozen were there to support that right while the vast majority were there to oppose them out of fear that somebody might say something they don't agree with.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “The rally was in support of free speech, and...

If your speech is about the freedom to spew hate, bigotry and racism, i will try very hard to talk louder than you, too.

Carla Carla

In response to “If your speech is about the freedom to spew...

And you would have every right to do so.

Violence is wrong, not protected, and illegal.

Talking louder is exercising your first amendment rights. And many people don't seem to understand that.

Thibault Thibault

You win an argument through the strength of your ideas, not through the volume at which you speak them.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “You win an argument through the strength of...

I think the numbers, and the passion expressed the strength of the ideas regarding hate and delusions of superiority.

Carla Carla

In response to “I think the numbers, and the passion...

Isn't that "might makes right," essentially? If your ideas are so superior, why do you need to shout down those you disagree with? You should welcome their ability to go out and make fools of themselves in public by saying such stupid things. Why do you think the right doesn't show up to shut down leftist protests? Let them go and do a bunch of stupid shit and show everyone what a bunch of idiots they are. And this was simply a free speech rally, it didn't advocate for anything beyond that.

Maze Maze OP

That would be understandable...but was it?

This is who they shut down in Boston:

Bozette Bozette

In response to “That would be understandable...but was it?...

I believe there were postings regarding members of nationlist groups coming and speaking.
I think most people (not antifa, they truly are an embarrassment, and hurtful) came as a reaction to last weekend.
Gut feelings toward murder by a homegrown, neo nazi terroristic attack should be expected.
There will be more of this until clear heads speak clearly.

Carla Carla

In response to “I believe there were postings regarding...

There were not any of the white supremacist groups that spoke with the original rally group in Boston...the one pictured above and which organized it.

I spoke below of that knee-jerk reaction. That does not change the fact that they shut down a group who had nothing to do with Charlottesville.

That is akin to me shouting you down, Carla, because of what Antifa has done.

Clearer heads will never prevail at this rate. It will simply become a never-ending, self-perpetuating "payback"...until our society implodes.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “There were not any of the white supremacist...

I just read it. And agree, wholeheartedly. And still, everyone in boston had the right to be there.
The cult of violence from all directions should be infiltrated, investigated and shut down.
And...what thibault said below.

Carla Carla

In response to “I just read it. And agree, wholeheartedly...

They did indeed have the right to be there, as I clearly stated on Thibaut's post about this subject...that doesn't, to my way of thinking, count Boston as in any way "successful", however. Okay, it made a bunch of people feel good. It had absolutely no affect on the intended recipients of the day's statement, though, and it likely alienated others.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by, "The cult of violence from all directions should be infiltrated, investigated and shut down." That sounds quite ominous to me. Makes me think of entrapment, dirty undercover cops who started out as good guys, Fast & Furious, abridgements of constitutionally protected rights, and other governmental clusterfucks that have a far greater chance of causing harm than eradicating it.

No, Carla, they need to be shouted down by everyday, ordinary people. Shunned by society itself. That doesn't happen if we, for example, shout Carla down for what Bo did...now does it? While you get censored and shunned, I go about my merry business, chuckling along. That is precisely what happened in Boston.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “They did indeed have the right to be there...

If a group is planning and perpretating violent acts, they should be shut down.
Like any other criminal organization. No entrapment, proper investigation.
Along with public scrutiny.

As far as this weekend is concerned, i feel certain that the group that was verbally overtaken, will have plenty of opportunities to state their views. If their view is freedom of speech, they encountered it in its full glory.

Carla Carla

In response to “If a group is planning and perpretating...

Agreed. That's a bit different than your first statement, though...in my opinion.

"If their view is freedom of speech, they encountered it in its full glory."

I disagree Carla. This is what they encountered:

In all its glory:

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Agreed. That's a bit different than your...

30 or 40 thousand people. A very, very small percentage being antifa.
Always the squeaky wheel, though....

Carla Carla

In response to “30 or 40 thousand people. A very, very small...

Like the man driving the car in Charlottesville, eh?

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Like the man driving the car in...

He killed a woman, bo. Hurt others. There is no equating that to burning a confederate flag or poster.
And has nothing to do with freedom of any kind.

Carla Carla

In response to “He killed a woman, bo. Hurt others. There is...

Where did I equate the two, Carla? Oh, that's right, I didn't.

What did I reply to, Carla? That is what I equated it to.

Every counter-protestor at Boston wasn't Antifa. Agreed.

Every protestor at Charlottesville wasn't the driver of that car. Agreed?

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Where did I equate the two, Carla? Oh...

Absolutely.
But please dont raise your words to me.
Peace, bo
I just have a difficult time wrapping my head around what MOST of those people stand for. And they definately came to frighten people.
Like you say they need shouted down. As do others that employ tactics that terrorize.

Carla Carla

In response to “Absolutely. But please dont raise your words...

Wasn't raising my "voice", Carla...underlining, italics, and bold print are my inflections... and yes, I am one of those annoying people who talks with their hands and I haven't found a way to do that online...yet, I hold out hope. :)

I've not found a way to wrap my head around their thinking, either. I have looked long enough into abyss to satisfy myself that Nietzsche knew what the hell he was talking about, though.

Some did, others really just wanted to fool themselves. Anyone who is really the tough, badass, unafraid people they want you to think they are (including all the Charlottesville groups and Antifa here) doesn't hide behind hoods/masks/bandanas, sheilds, and weapons. Betcha didn't know, but some of the counter-protestors were armed with guns at Charlottesville, too. They faced off...and no shots were fired.

Peace, Carla.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Wasn't raising my "voice"...

I enjoy people who express themselves with their eyes, facial expression and hands. You can see the conviction in their beliefs. If...it is genuine.
Lets me know, please, when you are exasperated enough TO raise your voice. I will try to build a bridge.
I always enjoy your views, and you inspire me to look at things from all directions. I appreciate that.
You have a hell of a way with words.

Carla Carla

In response to “I enjoy people who express themselves with...

That's me! Wind me up and watch me go...lol

I cannot see that happening with you, Carla. You have a calming effect in what can often become a very volatile forum.

Backatcha, Carla. Thanks. :)

Bozette Bozette

Dictatorships like to limit free speech today is sjw who want a safe space aka silence anyone who doesnt kiss their ****, tolerant but intolerant,

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Do you think those 'thousands' were paid?

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Do you think those 'thousands' were paid?

A couple of my college friends were at that protest; no one paid them. Though they did say they thought they saw George Soros handing out checks... ;)

Thibault Thibault

Free speech goes both ways.

Thibault Thibault

In response to “Free speech goes both ways. The...

I just made reference to this comment, sir.
Well said.

Carla Carla

No, they were protesting Nazis who were using the concept of free speech as a guise

DWF DWF

Were they protesting free speech or were they protesting the spewing of hate speech? I suspect it was the latter. In the same way the Supreme Court has ruled that you can't yell fire in a crowded theater (unless there really is a fire), you should not be able to incite rioting or violence with hateful rhetoric. In my personal opinion, "Jews will not replace us" and "blood and soil" constitute hate speech.

Linnster Linnster

I'm betting the vast majority of the crowd was there simply as a knee-jerk reaction to Charlottesville. That is both understandable and the very core of the division in this country today. Knee-jerk reactions to socio-political happenings allow a few fringe dwellers (or more accurately, those who manipulate these useful idiots) to dictate national debate...and to draw the lines in the sand.

A few on one extreme are white supremacists, neo-nazis, KKK, etc. They backed Trump for president. Therefore, per many otherwise intelligent people, all Trump supporters are white supremacists and nazi-fascists.

On the other extreme are the BLM, Antifa, etc. They are virulently anti-Trump. Therefore, per many otherwise intelligent people, anyone who is vocally anti-Trump supports the actions and sentiments of the BLM, Antifa, etc.

In reality, there are many different groups that fall under the umbrellas of white supremacists, neo-nazis, KKK, BLM, Antifa, etc. Most are small groups that are loosely affiliated with the labels attached either by themselves or by their detractors. Most of these people share one or two or perhaps a few broad ideas in common, beyond which they proceed to disagree on ideologies, tactics, goals, etc. Most of the KKK groups listed on the SPLC website, for example, are the result of two larger groups that splintered due to differences. Most BLM supporters are completely clueless that its founders are three gay women who are anti-patriarchy...black patriarchy included.

The vast majority of Americans are just regular folk who want better for our country. We differ in what defines "better", true, but most of us do not identify with a single group listed above. Most of us are truly appalled at the ideas spouted and/or tactics used by said groups.

Isn't it time most of us quit allowing others (i.e. the politicians, the media and those on the extreme fringes) to divide us? Isn't it time we had discussions instead of pre-supposing each other? Isn't it time we quit labeling and started listening? The future of our country depends on who controls the discourse.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Excellent post.

Thank you, Linn.

Bozette Bozette

Huh. "Free speech" needs guidelines? Who has a Free Speech rally anyway...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Huh. "Free speech" needs guidelines?...

Yeah really. Clearly anyone who's in favor of freedom is a fascist. That's just logic.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Yeah really. Clearly anyone who's in favor of...

Snippy today...huh. Free Speech is like body odour...it's best left taken for granted and unspoken about.

Example: that rally was pointless.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Snippy today...huh. Free Speech is like body...

If a rally is pointless, isn't attempting to silence it pointless too? If a few dozen people got together to have a demonstration in support of body odor, would there be any point in thousands of people going there to shut it down and silence them?

Maze Maze OP

In response to “If a rally is pointless, isn't attempting to...

Yes...the protesting was laughable.

You rarely make a point in your Posts, and you rely heavily on links.

What is your point, exactly.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Yes...the protesting was laughable. You...

My point is they're duping people into opposing their own right to free speech by conflating the free speech rights of others with racism. It's really dangerous.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Duping whom?

Everyone they can, presumably.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Everyone they can, presumably.

Everyone in the rally...at least...24 people. Whoopi.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Everyone in the rally...at least...24 people...

Not them, they're in favor of free speech, the point is to dupe everyone else to oppose free speech by opposing them.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Everyone else?

As many as possible.

Maze Maze OP

In response to “As many as possible.

Maybe a few people on Amirite but that's prolly about it. Good for you, tho.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

don't take many words to speak truth

Chief Joesph was spot on accurate

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

It seems that they want to end free speech because they think free speech = nazi hate speech. In their minds, they're doing the right thing because they think they're protesting hate speech, but what they're actually doing is protesting their own right to demonstrate and carry on and openly discuss their own opinions. They are actually advocating a Big Brother 1984 scenario without even realizing it.
Let's just hope enough people realize what insanity this is, because this is a very slippery slope.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet