The first amendment does not guarantee you an audience

ThibaultVicZincDWFTiffaneeSukiesnowBozetteNeanderthal_MomdoerJustJimColoSofiaSkr3wBallPhilboydStudge

Nobody :)

PhilboydStudgedoctorwho1011Piper2TiffaneeSofiaSukiesnowprimeiro

Explained by Thibault...

The first amendment does not guarantee that people will listen to you, it doesn't guarantee that people won't try and talk over you, it doesn't guarantee that people won't protest you. NO ONE has the right to threaten you with violence. But they do have a right to talk over you. Whether or not that's the most productive option is another question. But you certainly have a right to go that route. The first amendment guarantees it.

I tend to agree and just wondering,

do others have the right to try to prevent people from hearing me speak?

VicZinc VicZinc

I tend to agree and just wondering,

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “I tend to agree and just wondering, do...

I don't think they should have the right to physically block people from attending a speech. That seems wrong to me. I don't know enough about the law to say whether it actually is illegal, but it shouldn't be allowed. People shouldn't willingly block off something that's free to attend.

Now if they get a loudspeaker and start talking loudly through it so you aren't as easy to hear? I'm afraid people do have a right to do that. We can say it makes them look bad and is a cheap tactic, and we can get a louder loudspeaker, but it's not illegal.

Thibault Thibault OP

I support free-speech but nobody should have the right to be a "online" terrorist and threaten violence against others. I see that on most sites I go to and those people should be treated as the potential terrorists they are.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

What is the first amendment. I'm Canadian.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “What is the first amendment. I'm Canadian.

Sorry for my American bias :(

Thibault Thibault OP

Fundamental justice (in section 7 of the Canadian Charter) is therefore interpreted to include more legal protections than due process, which is its US equivalent. Freedom of expression in section 2 also has a more wide-ranging scope than the First Amendment to the United States Constitution's freedom of speech.

Synyster Synyster

In response to “Fundamental justice (in section 7 of the...

See... You can write.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I don't believe "free speech" includes inciting riots or hate speech. The definition of hate speech may be subjective, but I'm sure the law somewhere has defined it. It could be similar to the definition regarding pornography - I can't define it, but I know it when I see it. Chanting "Jews will not replace us" and "blood and soil" in my opinion constitutes hate speech.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I don't believe "free speech"...

Inciting riots and violence is not protected speech. So if hate speech is interpreted as calling for violence, then it might be illegal. But so far in the U.S. we don't have "hate speech" laws like there are in Canada and some European countries. Right now the only way to counter-act hate speech his counter-protest. And that's why it bugs that some people act like counter-protesting is wrong.

Thibault Thibault OP

True.

Counter-protesting is not wrong. If a counter-protest effectively silences the primary protestors because they have more voices, that's not wrong either.

That said, what happened in Boston was an anomaly. People reacted to what happened in Charlottesville by effectively shutting down an organization with no affiliation with any of the white supremacist groups/people that were what/who the counter-protestors in Boston really wanted silenced. This group had planned their rally before the protest in Charlottesville...it just happened to follow on its heels and so they paid for what others did/do.

https://m.facebook.com/BostonFr...l&mt_nav=1

Did the counter-protestors in Boston have the right to do that? Yes.

Does that make the Boston counter-protest a "success"? Nope.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

one has the right to have their say
I Reserve the right to walk away

want proof?

I have not one person blocked on this site for having a different opinion
then mine
I come to read opinions that differ from mine

myself, I find this to be some funny shit

liberals have no sense of humor

IMHO

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “one has the right to have their say I Reserve...

That brings to mind Black Rebel Souljah from SH...man knew more about the Civil War, the Confederacy, and black history than anyone I've ever run across.

Bozette Bozette

Judge Judy doesn't like it when people talk over her.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow