My take on Jerry Lewis is that he made a fortune imitating people with palsy and then dedicated himself to supporting them through the Muscular Dystrophy Association telethons.  RIP.  What are your thoughts?  Was he a creep or a nice guy?

Lil_PrincessDarkest_SerenitySynyster TiffaneeStarzAboveOzSurferWill_JanitorBub
My take on Jerry Lewis is that he made a fortune imitating people with palsy and then dedicated himself to supporting them through the Muscular Dystrophy Association telethons. RIP. What are your thoughts? Was he a creep or a nice guy?

I think he had talent and that his work for the MDA was amazing. Beyond that, I cannot judge him.

Bozette Bozette

I think in today's world, his humor would be politically incorrect, but back in the day, it was taken to be humor and a desire to make people laugh. I think underneath, he was a very good guy and his tireless efforts for muscular dystrophy helped many people live better lives. I wonder if now that he has died, there will be an explanation for why he worked so hard for MDA. He would never say the reason.

Linnster Linnster

I don't know. But...just like Michael Jackson... RIP.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Wasnt fond of his comedy.
Rip, jerry.

Carla Carla

My parents use to watch a lot of his movies, that's how I got to know him. I did like some of his movies and how can you not watch a little of his MDA telethons on labour day?

RIP Jerry Lewis.

Synyster Synyster

I'm not going to say anything bad about him. I personally think that he was a great man.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “I'm not going to say anything bad about him...

The news just said that he raised almost a billion dollars for MDA.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “The news just said that he raised almost a...

I've loved that guy for my entire life. I can't believe people are judging him.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “I've loved that guy for my entire life. I...

I just read through this, i dont see any judgement. You seeing it elsewhere?
He wasnt a bad guy, said some off putting things sometimes, but many do/did from his generation.
I just didnt enjoy his comedy.

Carla Carla

In response to “I just read through this, i dont see any...

Isn't the premise of the post by the author inferring that Jerry was making fun of the handicapped in his comedy? He was just acting like a silly child.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

The later news tonight said the amount he raised was a billion and a half dollars.

Linnster Linnster

Bozette Bozette

He was very funny, but I think he had a darker side. It will probably come put in tell all books now that he has passed.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “He was very funny, but I think he had a...

I saw a interview with him once and he sounded like a big-headed woman hater. One of his lines was "women are about as funny as a menstrual period."

Tiffanee

In response to “http://www.ibtimes.com/jerry-lewis-still-thinks...

Yep.
Sweet andy griffith was a **** to and about women, too.
I experienced him first hand.
Many from that generation were/are clueless, crass and mean.

Carla Carla

We've all had a dark side at one point or another its just a shame that hollyweird ppl darks sides come out in books it's a shame others will profit from it...let the dark side lay with him

symplycurious symplycurious

He is gone. I won't speak ill of the departed.

Bub Bub

I've never liked his comedy.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I've never liked his comedy.

I think for me he was just overshadowed by Movie Greats like Sinatra & Dean (think)

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “I think for me he was just overshadowed by...

He was OK when he was with Dean Martin, but after they broke up, I thought he was rather bland and not funny.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “He was OK when he was with Dean Martin, but...

I really have no significant memories of him like I do Sinatra , Dean , Sammy Davis Junior and so many others. Maybe because I'm British.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “I really have no significant memories of him...

He always did a Labor Day marathon for muscular dystrophy and made a lot of money for the cause....that's what I remember most about him.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “He always did a Labor Day marathon for...

Nice to see your pretty avi back up (smile)

A good way to be remembered

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “Nice to see your pretty avi back up...

I've been told my avatars are too sexy, and I'm trying to get attention. lol Go figure that crap.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I've been told my avatars are too sexy, and...

I love that new avatar. It really stands out on the page which is great because they are so small on here.

Tiffanee

In response to “I love that new avatar. It really stands out...

Thanks, it's very colorful.... probably too sexy for some prudes on this site...lol lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I have one thing to say before I hit the hay

night Starz (hug)

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “I have one thing to say before I hit the hay...

Thanks Ser, my sentiments exactly. lol We have some jealous prudes on this site. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I think he was one of the UN-funniest people ever.

Tiffanee

In response to “I think he was one of the UN-funniest people ever.

I agree, he just made silly faces and people laughed.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I just watched his last interview lolz
he was a Cantankerous old Codger all the way thru it (hehe)

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “I just watched his last interview lolz he...

Well when one gets to be 90, I guess they can be cantankerous and get away with it. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I think he was very talented and did some real good. Like all of us, he had his flaws. May he rest in peace.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

As a kid I never really got into his comedy, but as other said he made a huge contribution to MDA.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I wasn't a fan of his but I had nothing against him. He did great things for MDA,
perhaps to make up for his early humor? Just let him RIP.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

He was a good man and may he RIP
Doesn't matter what people say, he did what he needed to do and he was good at it

symplycurious symplycurious

Jerry Lewis telethons raised over 2.5 billion dollars. (If that alone doesn't speak for itself, it should.)

While I am not a big Jerry Lewis fan, there were a few movies he made I liked. There was no way he was making fun of people suffering from any disease. Those who believe that are just trying to read something into it that simply isn't there.

Lewis' style of comedy was not that unusual for the time period and it didn't "target" anyone or any group. He usually played a quirky simpleton, that was often the victim of his own naivety, the same as others like; Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, Abbot and Costello, and in more recent years, Steve Martin, and others.

RIP Jerry Lewis.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

When I was a kid I watched his movies with Dean Martin. I thought he was hilarious.

Time passed and Lewis got tired of playing 2nd fiddle to Martin - split up the act. It seemed to me that Lewis got full of himself and became kind of a ****.

Thanks for the early laughs Jerry!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “When I was a kid I watched his movies with...

You know, that is almost exactly the way I saw his career unfold, too.

Bub Bub

Where did the rest of us spend Labor Day weekend for decades.His good outweighed his bad many thousands of children benefited from his work.Let his mistakes be buried with him show some gratitude perfect people of the internet.

shinrin shinrin