• Topics:PoliticsFree Speech
  • Featured on the home page on Aug 25th 2017
  • Post Of The Day on Aug 22nd 2017

doctorwho1011Darkest_SerenityTiffaneeBozetteWill_JanitorMashaSukiesnowMazegypsyking
What is hate speech?

Explained by altonschwab...

I have been hearing a lot of talk about this subject but I am have a problem figuring it out. I mean my granddaughter would surly have a different opinion on this then me as I am sure everybody would. So what is hate speech?

Hate speach is an atificial term used to slowly chop away at people's right to say what they think or believe.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Prime example of Hate Speech would be derogatory to Nasty to absolutely Evil comments said about or to someone because of the color of their Skin.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “Prime example of Hate Speech would be...

Ok but who gets to decided what is derogatory or nasty or evil like I said my grannddaughter would consider the word sh** nasty. and my wife considers the use of Gods name in vane evil. so who gets to decide.

altonschwab OP

In response to “Ok but who gets to decided what is derogatory...

I suppose it has been decided by Law through incidents of Hate Speech.

There are certain things if you say to a Person of Color can get someone into a lot of trouble , especially in certain environments like Schools.

A Teacher could lose their whole Career from making one Racist remark to a Pupil.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “I suppose it has been decided by Law through...

You are being pretty vague I mean person of color what color? Yes it has been decided by the Supreme Court its call free speech and you have the right to say what you think without being subjected to violence. But you can't yell fire if there is none. If your word endanger others you can get into trouble so I ask again what is hate speech?

altonschwab OP

In response to “You are being pretty vague I mean person of...

Black for eg

Hate Speech are words that can inflame another to the point of Killing someone.

If I walked out at this time of night , walked up to a Black Man in a Gang and called him a ** Black or called them all **'s etc .......I wouldn't fancy my chances of seeing another Sunrise.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “Black for eg Hate Speech are words that can...

and not that I think you would ever do that but if you did I would have to wonder if you had a death wish. LOL but at the same time wouldn't that be stupid speech also.

altonschwab OP

In response to “and not that I think you would ever do that...

I wouldn't Dream of offending someone in such a way but yes you would think I had a Death Wish. lolz

No because I think it goes beyond Stupid when there is Blood behind those words and we all know that Racism is the cause behind so many Deaths in this World.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “I wouldn't Dream of offending someone in such...

Let look at what was said. If a term was used against blacks, it was just called hate speech, and there are laws, and that the person who said it might be killed.
Lets flip that and a black used derogatory name for whites. What is the result? It it called hate speech? Would the black's life most certainly be in danger? Is there a law preventing the derogatory comments again whites....? No.
While some say racism is the cause of so many deaths... why doesn't anybody look at the numbers and see what racists are killing who.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Let look at what was said. If a term was used...

Racism and Hate Speech can indeed be Black against Whites Jim.

When I was 18 a Black Gang of Women came close to Shanking me I think it was the term the Leader used just after calling me a ** White , White **.

I still remember her name because it was on her ring , glistening from cubic zirconia's as She stood in front of me under the street lamp .....Ebony

I stood their Praying to myself "please not my Face" resigned to the fact I was going to get stabbed.

Luckily my friend came along and distracted them so I could get away , well there were at least 15 of them to me and my friend who were on a night out and each one of them was tooled up but I heard many terms referring to the color of my Skin by the whole group.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “Racism and Hate Speech can indeed be Black...

Very true.That's getting even worse these days. While racist remarks should be a double edged sword, they aren't. Some are not held to the same standards of conduct they demand of others.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Very true.That's getting even worse these...

Well folks this is not simple if you have read the comments to this post it is anything but simple. I was always told sticks and stones will break your bones but words can never hurt you. I think I have come to a conclusion that is mine and mine alone. Hate speech really doesn’t exist and I will no longer use it as a term in my daily conversations because to do so would be spreading the lies that seek to divide us and pit us against each other. You are free to believe what you will but for me this is just stupid. I personally don’t hate anybody and would like to think that nobody hates me. With all the troubles in this country the homeless, the poor, people trying to destroy our history, the gangs, the cost of health care, the continuous attacks on our freedoms by the politicians who are only interested in staying in office and the media who are only interested in their ratings they believe shock sells. I would like to thank you all for your comments your opinions do matter.

altonschwab OP

Oh come on the whole world isn't about skin color. Hate can be against mostly anything. Hateful people spew hate. Let's all be nicer to each other instead.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Oh come on the whole world isn't about skin...

altonschwab OP

Hatred of a particular group of people. Who those people are is irrelevant.

Tiffanee

In response to “Hatred of a particular group of people. Who...

altonschwab OP

Speech that is intended to offend, insult, intimidate, or threaten an individual or group based on a trait or attribute, such as sexual orientation, religion, color, gender, or disability.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Speech that is intended to offend, insult...

altonschwab OP

Anything demeaning others, for instance the neo-nazis hating on Americans.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Do they hate Americans?

They hate anyone that doesn't believe the way they do. They hate the blacks.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Anything demeaning others, for instance the...

altonschwab OP

Hate Speech: Legal Definition

Hate speech is a communication that carries no meaning other than the expression of hatred for some group, especially in circumstances in which the communication is likely to provoke violence. It is an incitement to hatred primarily against a group of persons defined in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and the like. Hate speech can be any form of expression regarded as offensive to racial, ethnic and religious groups and other discrete minorities or to women.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/h/hate-speech/

Maze Maze

In response to “Hate Speech: Legal Definition Hate speech is...

altonschwab OP

In response to “Well folks this is not simple if you have...

I thought it might add clarity to the discussion if someone posted the legal definition of the term.

Maze Maze

Ok Folks I guess I am slow but I am still missing it . so what if someone were raised in a religion to believe that Homosexuality is wrong it would be hate speech if I said he was a Homophobe?

altonschwab OP

In response to “Ok Folks I guess I am slow but I am still...

I don't class that as Hate Speech though one could certainly be offended by being labeled a Homophobe.

Generally it's Hate Speech when it's said against a certain Sector in Society that Suffer at the Hands of Bigotry.

ie the LBGT

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

In response to “I don't class that as Hate Speech though one...

I guess that is what I am trying to say the words hate speech are being thrown around so much that they have lost there meaning.

altonschwab OP

In response to “I guess that is what I am trying to say the...

I understand and it makes sense that this would happen because millions of us have our different opinions on this actual subject.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

Hatred against homosexuals is hate speech. I was called a freak this morning for being bisexual, that is hate speech.

Tiffanee

In response to “Hatred against homosexuals is hate speech. I...

What jerk did that to you?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “What jerk did that to you?

Another sock/troll. Now suspended.

Tiffanee

That was a Troll but good eg (think)

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

Hey Tiffanee how are you. I am sorry that happened to you. what I was trying to say is that to you it is hate speech and I will tell you that I agree I also think that you should have told whoever it was to take a hike. But I don't think it is hate speech to call someone out on things you disagree with. Some people think abortion is killing others say it’s not who get to decided what hate speech is Goodness I hope it not me

altonschwab OP

In response to “Hey Tiffanee how are you. I am sorry that...

When he called me a "freak" it became hate speech. If he had of said I don't like it I wouldn't have cared.

Tiffanee

No. For one thing, you are addressing one person's opinion. If you were to get up on a soap box and spew hateful words about homosexuals to a group of people with the intention of moving them to violence, i.e., going after and physically harming homosexuals, that would be hate speech.

Linnster Linnster

Probably, you are supposed to treat them better than anyone else you can't even disagree or they say you are doing something wrong. I wish people would grow a thicker skin and just shrug it off.

It is an ambiguous term subjectively interpreted by individuals, groups, legislatures, and courts.

Damn good question, btw.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “well said

Thank you.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Thank you.

altonschwab OP

Man Threatens To Smash Actor James Woods Over the Head with a 2×4

freedom of speech
is far different then threats

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “Man Threatens To Smash Actor James Woods Over...

like I said I am slow. so are you saying that if someone tweets I want to smash james woods over the head with a 2x4 he should go to jail or just band from twitter?

altonschwab OP

In response to “like I said I am slow. so are you saying that...

making threats,there are laws against that

being an racist
being a bigot
those just makes one an ****
but they are not illegal

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “making threats,there are laws against...

but you didn't anwser the question. should someone who tweets I want to smash james woods over the head with a 2x4 go to jail or just band from twitter? you dicide and let see how many poeple agree with your views on this. I say neither

altonschwab OP

In response to “but you didn't anwser the question. should...

James Woods is filing charges against the person

find the story
see the punk's face
his Life will not be the same from this day to his last
we all have the ability to choose
that guy, he chose wrong

we're done

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

Oh I don't think it matters if it is a celebrity and you just talk silly about it. HEY DID Ya'all hear about that judge who was shot at today, he pulled his own gun and killed the guy Score 1 4 the judge!!

In response to “Oh I don't think it matters if it is a...

yes and thank goodness he was carrying. but I did not here much about it from the big media

altonschwab OP

altonschwab OP

Is it hate speech to announce to the public that a president "should be assassinated," to me that is the very definition of hate speech. Don't even try to hide behind "free speech." Free speech for some is hate speech for others.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In response to “Is it hate speech to announce to the public...

Come on do you know how many times I heard the same thing said about President Obama, Bush, Clinton and Reagan. I guess I am dating myself. But I didn’t here it from a state legislator. They should take these things seriously but people get angry and say thing they don’t really mean it happens all the time. and that is all I have been trying to say one man hate speech is another mans free speech.

altonschwab OP

In response to “Come on do you know how many times I heard...

A Missouri legislator called for Trump to be "assassinated" and when given the chance to rescind her words doubled down
on her wishes. She has now backed down but she still wished for his killing.
She is in a position of leadership and her behavior, as such, is
unforgivable and she should be removed from office. This is not some hopped up drunk, private person, who was also investigated for his threats to a president.
She, absolutely, be held accountable and not given the cover of "free speech." It would have not been acceptable in the last administration nor should it be forgiven in this one.

https://politicalwire.com/2017/...calls-trump...

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In response to “A Missouri legislator called for Trump to be...

Maxim Waters has said far worse about President Trump. Don’t hear anybody calling her out for hate speech. speech is speech action is action.

altonschwab OP

In response to “Maxim Waters has said far worse about...

That is the problem - some are more equal than others.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

Jeesh that was a stupid thing to say -- I think they are pretty well protected. If not I think someone would have gotten OBummer.

In response to “Jeesh that was a stupid thing to say -- I...

I can't disagree with you on that. Perhaps the updated version of the Animal Farm story is that some are protected and some aren't.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

Right because a representative does have access to the president saying I wish is almost like saying I will.

altonschwab OP

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Hate speach is an atificial term used to...

altonschwab OP

Apparently anything that makes your blood boil.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Hate speech laws in Canada include provisions in the Criminal Code of Canada, provisions in the Human Rights Act and in other federal legislation, and statutory provisions in each of Canada's ten provinces and three territories.
Section 319 - Criminal Code

Maybe it's time for Americans to change their laws, juts like we did in Canada.

Synyster Synyster

In response to “Hate speech laws in Canada include provisions...

Wild Bill for America, also known as William Finlay, a popular author and speaker, was arrested today, June 24, 2017, at a Canadian airport for “smuggling hate speech” on his iPad. He was invited to speak at an event at Calgary’s Olympic Plaza called the “Patriotic Unity Mega Festival” coordinated by Cananda’s Worldwide Coaliation Against Islam (WCAI) which also has organizations in Europe and Australia.

Kind of sounds like the law was invoked to protect an agenda!

Maybe, just allowing free speech is a good idea.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Wild Bill for America, also known as William...

It's hard to say how far they will prosecute for hate speech. Canadians are way too nice.

On another note: Things have escalated here in Canada after the Charlottesville event.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/m...eute-1.4254792

Synyster Synyster

In response to “It's hard to say how far they will prosecute...

Too bad Canada doesn't allow Free Speech. Then there wouldn't be a question as to 'how far they might go.'

Yeah, those hate groups ; skin heads, nazis, bigots, anti-fa - are pretty wide spread and many just travel from protest to protest!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Too bad Canada doesn't allow Free Speech...

Freedom of speech in Canada is not absolute; Section 1 of the Charter allows the government to pass laws that limit free expression so long as the limits are reasonable and can be justified in a free and democratic society.

Many use this law above to protest and speak at the Parliament grounds.
They are controlled by the RCMP and if it gets out of hand, it's shut down for good.

So end results, Free Speech in Canada is limited, however protests aren't.

Just like what happened in Quebec City, the far right marched with silence in downtown Quebec City but yet anti-fascist counter-protesters turned violent and things got out of hand. A few anti-fascists were arrested.

Synyster Synyster

When someone doesn't like who they are, and someone else reminds them of who they are, that's hate speech.

BlueRose BlueRose

In response to “When someone doesn't like who they are, and...

Good point, if you are happy with yourself you shrug it off.

altonschwab OP

It's the end of free speech if people buy into it

gypsyking gypsyking

In response to “It's the end of free speech if people buy into it

altonschwab OP

Attacking people, calling for harm, death, murder. Saying certain groups deserve to suffer or be oppressed. Things like that.

Trish Trish

In response to “Attacking people, calling for harm, death...

so antifa and blm called for the death of police officers that was hate speech? the neo-idiots chanting Jews won't replace us death to all nonwhites that was hate speech? oh and I just watched the Presidents speech where he stated he intended to search out and destroy issi and the talaban that was hate speech? I am so confused

altonschwab OP

altonschwab OP

Yes hate speech exists. Sorry, but you wanting to ignore or dismiss it does not make it go away. That's not how reality works.

Trish Trish

In response to “Yes hate speech exists. Sorry, but you...

ok then what is hate speech? because all I have heard is a bunch of opinions some I agree with some I don't. I am not ignoring it I just can't figure out what it is and in reality you can't tell me what is either can you?

altonschwab OP

Now it can be anything so why do people still hate. Chill all

Rude, harmful comments directed toward {insert population group(s) here}.

Masha Masha

In response to “Rude, harmful comments directed toward...

altonschwab OP

Apparently anything that makes anybody or anything sad or angry.

DW2 DW2

In response to “Apparently anything that makes anybody or...

altonschwab OP

Depends on who you're asking, a normal person would say that it's hateful talking to someone without presenting a logical argument eg racism.

While practically, hate speech is what PC police uses to silence people who they don't like. In short, it'd be stripping you of your voice by branding you evil

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Depends on who you're asking, a normal person...

Absolutely. What is deemed "hate speech" is dictated by those who are powerful/influential enough to promote their own agendas and politically correct mandates.
It's hate speech to condemn radical islam but not hate speech to condemn Christianity.
It's hate speech to condemn groups like BLM or the Black Panthers but not hate speech to condemn White groups.
It's hate speech to speak out against people illegally entering this country and committing crimes if they are not white. They have made it into a racial hate issue instead of a criminal issue.
It is hate speech to suggest any group or organization could be made up solely of whites, while all the organizations that are solely one minority or another, are applauded. (i.e. Black caucus, black awards, black entertainment, hispanic political groups, etc etc.)

How long before it is considered a crime to use "hate speech", in other words, disagreeing with a particular candidate, or the government? It's already here! How many times has it been labeled as hate speech, when people spoke out against any of the progressive candidates, agendas or corruption? Why are all these "hate" laws, directed at only one race?

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Absolutely. What is deemed "hate...

That's why there needs to be resistance, a group perhaps called " Anti moronic agendas group" or " Logic and reality over feelings" or " stop the retardation" We can think of many names. But you have to hand it, it's clever because as one of them you get to be intolerant and even violent and it's ok as long as you paint the other side as evil and on top of which you can make yourself look like the knight paladin, the protector of the underprivileged, shield of minorities, savior or feminists and gays. You get to be as self righteous as you want, it's brilliant!

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Depends on who is doing the listening.

Brianl Brianl

In response to “Depends on who is doing the listening.

altonschwab OP

Any speech that has hatred as the main topic...hatred to another person is not acceptable..you can give your opinion about someone without being offensive....being hateful is a weakness...

JD JD

In response to “Any speech that has hatred as the main...

altonschwab OP

HATE SPEECH IS HATE SPEECH simple

bird1986 bird1986

In response to “HATE SPEECH IS HATE SPEECH simple

altonschwab OP

pretty simple, censorship.........

shinrin shinrin

In response to “pretty simple, censorship.........

altonschwab OP

Sunny and JustJim gave the best summation of the commonly accepted definition of hate speech nowadays in their posts above. It's all pointed in only one direction. Sort of the same way the words "racist" and "racism" are used nowadays. We are told that it is impossible for a Negro to be a racist, but I remember hearing racist quotes by Jeremiah Wright at the church that the Obamas always attended in Chicago!

goblue1968 goblue1968

altonschwab OP