10 missing and 5 injured near Singapore.  This is the 2nd destroyer collision and 4th incident involving a US Navy warship in the Pacific this year.

Bozette

Nobody :)

Lil_PrincessPiper2Synyster AdaWill_JanitorMaze
10 missing and 5 injured near Singapore. This is the 2nd destroyer collision and 4th incident involving a US Navy warship in the Pacific this year.

It's mind boggling. Destroyers can hunt for submarines all day long, but they can't avoid a collision with a friggin tanker? Somethin just ain't right!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

What the heck is going on with these ship collisions?

Linnster Linnster

In response to “What the heck is going on with these ship...

That's what I am wondering...the 7th Fleet isn't fairing well this year.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “That's what I am wondering...the 7th Fleet...

No, it isn't. I can't believe that with all the electronic equipment on that ship, they didn't detect the presence of the oil tanker. Let's face it, the tanker is not exactly a bathtub sized ship.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “No, it isn't. I can't believe that with all...

Electronics can fail, and are used for more than just detection. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there had earlier been a steering issue.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “Electronics can fail, and are used for more...

I haven't read the articles yet. It's unusual to have two such events happen so close to one another.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I haven't read the articles yet. It's...

The USS Fitzgerald, the sister ship to the McCain, is also a destroyer, the other two are guided-missle cruisers.

Bozette Bozette OP

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “It's mind boggling. Destroyers can hunt for...

I know. Two destroyers and two guided-missle cruisers this year. Three collisions and one run aground.

We also lost three Marines and an aircraft off Australia's coast this month.
https://www.voanews.com/a/austr...t/3975169.html

Bozette Bozette OP

Doesn't seem right and it sounds quite fishy, even a possibility of being deliberate.

Synyster Synyster

In response to “Doesn't seem right and it sounds quite fishy...

Reading through the comments earlier on the Navy post, quite a few are thinking that way.

Bozette Bozette OP

The Chinese can alter and disrupt electronic controls via satellite. So can the Russians. So can the Americans.

Bookyanka Bookyanka

You would think that for 600 billion dollars we would get a Navy that wouldn't have such problems.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “You would think that for 600 billion dollars...

One would think that for $6 Billion+ we could get an audit...

Bozette Bozette OP

If I was to hazard a guess... setting aside the possibility that it's deliberate, obviously radar would make a collision like that next to impossible, but using radar means sending out a signal that can be triangulated to give a position of the ship. The Navy probably doesn't want that, I think they usually want to be as close to invisible as possible, but evidently that has some drawbacks when it comes to avoiding collisions. I can only assume that whatever (presumably passive) system they're using to replace radar doesn't work perfectly under all conditions, and they're not easy vessels for other ships to see. But that's just a guess, I really have no idea.

Maze Maze

In response to “If I was to hazard a guess... setting aside...

There still should be human spotters. This is near one of the busiest passages in the world and the tanker is 3Xs the size of the destroyer! There had been a problem earlier with the steering...

Still nothing on the missing sailors, either.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “There still should be human spotters. This...

I agree. And there's no way a tanker could hit a destroyer deliberately unless the destroyer was dead in the water, because a tanker is much less agile than a destroyer. Being that the impact was to the side of the destroyer, they wouldn't need to use steering to avoid the collision, just thrust. It could be they miscalculated and thought they could beat the tanker by passing in front of it rather than reducing speed and waiting for it to pass. Human error is usually the cause of accidents.

Maze Maze

In response to “I agree. And there's no way a tanker could...

I am curious to see what they come out with, but I think heads are rolling in the case of the sister ship's collision earlier this year.

Bozette Bozette OP

In response to “I am curious to see what they come out with...

I should think they would be. I'm not familiar with the other incident, but if 10 people (potentially) died and a ship was severely damaged because somebody wasn't exercising appropriate caution, that would probably be taken pretty seriously.

Maze Maze

In response to “I should think they would be. I'm not...

Yup. Seven died in the other collision, and that ship has to be transported back here from Japan for repairs.

Bozette Bozette OP

Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself.

ozzyboy ozzyboy