In your opinion, who was the ultimate tragic figure in American history?

Thomas Migdley Jr.

While working for GM In 1921, he found that adding tetraethyl lead (a neurotoxin) to gasoline significantly reduced the juddering condition known as engine knock. It was the start of leaded gasoline.

Then he moved on to solve a problem with early refrigerators, which sometimes leaked dangerous/deadly chemicals into the air. As Bill Bryson wrote in "A Short History of Nearly Everything", "//with an instinct for the
regrettable that was almost uncanny, he invented chlorofluorocarbons, or CFCs//".

Later in life Midgely was crippled Polio. He died when a contraption he invented that would raise him or turn in bed strangled him.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

President Kennedy

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “President Kennedy

An event that was etched carved in my memory.

Bub Bub OP

Thomas Migdley Jr.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Thomas Migdley Jr. While working for GM In...

I shouldn't be laughing. I'm sorry, Phil. But this phrase did me in:
"with an instinct for the
regrettable that was almost uncanny"

Bub Bub OP

In response to “I shouldn't be laughing. I'm sorry, Phil. But...

I like reading Bill Bryson because of his turn of the phrase.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Probably someone no one remembers

Willcooper Willcooper

In response to “Probably someone no one remembers

I bet there are millions of them

Bub Bub OP