Harvard Has Got Go!

They should close it down

Nobody :(

They should set it on fire

bird1986

They should be sentenced to 5 year community college

Nobody :(

You know this is all sarcasm, right?

DW2Bookyanka

Other

shinrin

Synyster Bookyanka
Harvard Has Got Go!

Explained by Budwick...

Since the latest fad is to air brush our history, you know stuff that if you dig deep enough, you're bound to find something that will piss you off. And, Lord knows [oops - I invoked God!], any thing that's been around since the 1600's has got to have some shit way out of bounds. And what do you know - Harvard is steeped in all manner of hateful things. Stuff like religion, prestige, elitism, books, the Massachusetts Bay Colony - which practically cries out genocide of indigenous people. Did you know Harvard didn't let women enroll until 1945? They managed to keep out the Jews until the early 1900's. As late as the 1950s, Wilbur Bender, then the dean of admissions for Harvard College, was seeking better ways to "detect homosexual tendencies and serious psychiatric problems" in prospective students. Protests broke out after Harvard admitted its first black student, Beverly Garnett Williams, in 1847. Students, faculty, and pro-slavery Southerners (apparently a large faction back then) rioted upon hearing the news. But the anger was all harbored in vain. Williams died just before the academic year began, and thus never entered the college. Harvard wouldn't accept another black student for 23 years. Even today, there is a separate graduation ceremony for black students! Harvard must be dealt with harshly! Please, post your ideas how to rid this menace from society!

Now you get the picture (smile)

Bookyanka Bookyanka

In response to “Now you get the picture (smile)

OK Book - Got It! Message received.
Thank you.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “OK Book - Got It! Message received. Thank you.

Perhaps a little research on your part might have been a good idea:

"The graduates will be wearing kente cloth stoles over their robes to celebrate their African ancestry and specific struggles that Black students have endured in America and even on the campus. Last year, the university changed its seal responding to complaints that it was based on the family crest of the slave owning founder of the nation’s oldest university.

The event called Black Commencement 2017 was organized by students and supported by the faculty and administration of Harvard University.

Michael Huggins, president of the Harvard Black Graduate Student Alliance, which is organizing the event, stated to media, “The primary reason we wanted to do this is we really wanted to come together to celebrate Harvard Black excellence and brilliance.” Huggins will be receiving his master’s degree in public policy from Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government."

https://rollingout.com/2017/05/...uate-students/

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Perhaps a little research on your part might...

(clap) Yayyy!! I love to Google, copy, paste, and condescend too! Makes me seem intelligent. Keep up the fight (smile)

Bookyanka Bookyanka

In response to “(clap) Yayyy!! I love to Google, copy...

It wasn't meant to be condescending, but to show that it was the students and faculty that asked for and agreed to have a black commencement.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “It wasn't meant to be condescending, but to...

Reads a bit condescending, but that's me.
Now if you had used your own words instead of copying & pasting, your condescension might be warranted. (pce)

Bookyanka Bookyanka

In response to “//Perhaps a little research on your part...

Read it however you want. You are certainly an expert when it comes to condescension. When you post something, post it however you want to. When I post it, I shall do the same.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Read it however you want. You are certainly...

I'm a well read, highly educated liberal. It's my job to condescend.

Bookyanka Bookyanka

In response to “I'm a well read, highly educated liberal...

Well, then condescend somewhere else. I'm not interested in your opinions.

Linnster Linnster

Linn - I'm sorry you got snookered, but this whole post is one of sarcasm. One of the choices reads "You know this is all sarcasm, right? "

The fact that students chose to have a a separate graduation is hardly a defense against racism though - IMO. They're students - join the commencement or not - your choice. Where's a yearning for diversity? The desire for inclusion?

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Linn - I'm sorry you got snookered, but this...

People don't comprehend sarcasm anymore. They are too emotionally impulsive and ideologically driven. They read three words and go off half cocked with a foolish emotional rant . Sad (no), but it is funny.

Bookyanka Bookyanka

In response to “People don't comprehend sarcasm anymore. They...

I understand.
When I include it in my comments, I've taken to something like -
***** SARCASM ALERT ****
Insert sarcasm here
***** END OF SARCASM ALERT ****

It bothered me at first, but then I realized that people that understood the NEED for such silliness didn't really spoil the sarcasm, but enhanced it!

I'm a fan Book! You got me good!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I understand. When I include it in my...

** SARCASM ALERT **
So Bookyanka and Budwick are sitting in a tree?
With their sarcasm trolling down to a tee? (xp)
** END OF SARCASM ALERT **

(wink)(biggrin)

Zolfie Zolfie

I think it also depends on how clear the sarcasm is...

Sadly, there are some weird extremes out there...

Like I read something about people still believing the world was clearly flat... and I thought it was sarcasm or a joke... but nope... they strongly believe it...

So what's the different between some sarcasm and strange extreme beliefs? ... only the person (if you know them) and the delivery

So the person has to be well known or the delivery has to be great or funny.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I think it also depends on how clear the...

Exactly right. And, it is more difficult to get across sometime in writing - no facial expression or tone of voice, etc.

Book is pretty new here and frankly I didn't know him well enough to see any sarcasm or have an idea on his stance on stuff.

One thing is certain - I will be reading his stuff more carefully from now on! He got me good!

Budwick Budwick OP

To be fair, I never read the choices, I just post, so my apologies if I responded to strongly.

My honest opinion is that if the students and faculty wanted a separate commencement, let them have it. Diversity, shmiversity. I'm sick to death of hearing about it. Sounds as though they want to be separate but equal - fine.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “To be fair, I never read the choices, I just...

I understand - no apologies required.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I understand - no apologies required.

Thank you. :)

Linnster Linnster

"to celebrate Harvard Black excellence and brilliance.”

That seems kinda racist... and does means they don't have to celebrate the non-Blacks? and takes the Blacks out of the main graduations?

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “"to celebrate Harvard Black excellence...

For my part, they can do whatever they want. Everyone knows that Harvard is one of the premier American colleges. If they are so unsure that the quality of the education they got along with the white students needs to be acknowledged separate and apart, let them segregate themselves. I don't see the white Harvard students voicing objection.

Linnster Linnster

Thinking by using logic instead of feelings?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I hate Harvard because I didn't get in. And now that I'm at Brown, I'm required to hate it. Down with Harvard!

Thibault Thibault

Dad and Mom both went to Harvard. A fat load of good that did. :)

DW2 DW2

/historical-facts" target="_blank" title="http://www.harvard.edu/about-ha...glance/history/historical-facts"" target="_blank" title="http://www.harvard.edu/about-ha...glance/history/historical-facts"" rel="nofollow">http://www.harvard.edu/about-ha...cal-facts" rel="nofollow">http://www.harvard.edu/about-ha...storical-facts
I don't know if this says anything but I believe Harvard is an established college/ university in the US of A Harvard was as it says in this source above that he was A religious person ( he was catholic) you can't get more religious than a catholic person, can you?
and what is wrong with being religious ?

http://www.harvard.edu/about-ha...glance/history
he gave his library / books to the college

Harvard is one of the most prestigious colleges in the country and is known for producing some of the world’s most influential people. Of Harvard’s long list of past alumni are eight who have signed the Declaration of Independence including John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, William Ellery, William Williams, William Hooper, Elbridge Gerry, and Robert Treat Paine. Eight seems like a magical number because eight Harvard alumni have also served as United States presidents including John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, George W. Bush, Rutherford Hayes, and of course, Barack Obama

bird1986 bird1986

In response to “/historical-facts"...

Williams died just before the academic year began, and thus never entered the college. Harvard wouldn't accept another black student for 23 years

bird1986 bird1986