TiffaneeOzSurferWill_JanitorRooster
Is equality natural? I don't see equality in nature so why do we strive to achieve equality? Is life supposed to be fair?

Equal rights under the is not the same as equality. Nature goes by the law of the jungle. I doubt many people would like to go back to that.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I would

I believe that is a short sighted answer. Nobody stays on top forever. There is always somebody bigger, stronger, faster, or smarter that will come along. Boxing, UFC, professional sports on the whole exhibit this proof every year. JMHO

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I believe that is a short sighted answer...

isn't equality rewarding the weak and not encouraging people to strive to be the best?

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “No.

Isn't equality unnatural though? Even trees fight for light. It just seems like a human concept that is unachievable to me

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “isn't equality rewarding the weak and not...

If you mean communism type equality, yes. It takes away competition and people just rot.

On the other hand protecting the weak from bullies, but allowing them to prosper with their talents is rewarding and encouraging.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “If you mean communism type equality, yes. It...

^^ This.

Well said Will.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

I just don't get why we value the idea equality at all. Won't rewarding the weak stop the human race from growing stronger?

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “I just don't get why we value the idea...

Maybe brute force, but then it will get a lot dumber too.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

to fight an opponent they both need to be equally adequate to fight each other, they never allow two fighters to be bigger than the other fighter/s to make the fight fair until one wins. In an science experiment/s we need to make sure everything is the same until the experiment/s result comes out different. so I believe equality can be achieved if you want it to.

bird1986 bird1986

Not natural but we are not animals living in the wild even though some act like it sometimes.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Not natural but we are not animals living in...

Where does equality come from if it's not from nature?

gypsyking gypsyking OP

it actually doesn't matter if something is natural

DWF DWF

In response to “it actually doesn't matter if something is natural

I disagree. Mother Nature knows best.

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “I disagree. Mother Nature knows best.

Mother nature created Alzheimer's and parasitic wasps

DWF DWF

In response to “Mother nature created Alzheimer's and...

I'm sure she had her reasons

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “I'm sure she had her reasons

If mother natures created a virus that would wipe out all life in the universe would that be ok with you too?

DWF DWF

In response to “If mother natures created a virus that would...

I believe in God. If he thinks it's time to end the world then so be it.

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “I believe in God. If he thinks it's time to...

I suppose I should just be grateful that this situation is absolutely nothing like the one I was referencing there

DWF DWF

Is buying your food at a grocery store natural? Is brushing your teeth natural? Is using a stick to beat your pray so you can eat natural? Is anything that humans create (speech, music, tools, laws, customs, shelters) natural?

I say it is all natural, some would say none of it is.

Equality? Sure. the concept of equality is natural, the attainment of that quality is impossible. You don't see it in nature because it doesn't exist outside of the mind of humans being. Fail as they may equality is a pipedream worth smoking.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Is buying your food at a grocery store...

I agree that all of those things are natural. I disagree that we should be chasing pipe dreams. I think it causes problems. We arnt all equal. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. We should celebrate our differences, not all pretend to be equal. Some people and some groups of people are better at certain things than others. Why is it a pipe dream worth smoking if the attainment of equality is impossible?

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “I agree that all of those things are natural...

It is like religion or philosophy or higher mathematics: not attainable in any conclusive way, but it leads to advances in thought and progress in humanity.

Some examples:
1) We treat everyone as having equal right to own property (even if some are more capable of capturing and defending property).
2) We assume everyone has an equal vote (even though some are dumb as a rock, others are blinded by ideology, and precious few are capable of making informed choices.)
3) We don't, on the other hand treat everyone as equal when it comes to boxing. (Some people we pay lots of money to watch them beat the crap out of each other -- but we don't pay anything to watch two drunks fight in an alley.)

So in all cases we recognize people are not equal, but we behave accordingly because we are decent humans who are all descended from a common ancestor.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “It is like religion or philosophy or higher...

I'll try and give a few of examples of why I think it's no good. I don't think we will agree though.

1) if something is impossible to achieve then it's a waste of time. I know I'll never be able fly no matter how much I wave my arms about so I don't do it.

2) there are people that are better at certain things than other people. Its them that should be encouraged to go on and progress with their natural talent. If a kid can't kick a football then is it worth devoting as much time and effort to help him succeed as someone who has natural talent?

3) look at what has happened with the pursuit of gender equality. It has caused all sorts of problems. Divorce rates have sky rocketed, children are without fathers. Male unemployment has sky rocketed because there's not enough jobs for all men and women. And male suicide has increased because men have had their natural birth right of being able to provide taken away from them.

I really don't think it's a good thing at all

gypsyking gypsyking OP

In response to “I'll try and give a few of examples of why I...

You are prolly right, we don't agree - try this:

1) Try telling the Wright Brothers that flapping arms is a waste of time.

2) We won't play the kid who can't kick as a star punter but we won't deprive him of the fun of kicking either. There would only be one soccer player in the world if we only let the best one kick.

3) The problems in employment come from productivity gains due to technology, not from gender equality.

VicZinc VicZinc

No, we are not all "equal", nor can we ever achieve anything resembling true equality. Nor do I think we should we try.

If we are to coexist in any semblance of a civilized society, however, which most people recognize as requiring some ground rules (i.e. our laws), then we should apply those rules equally. In reality, as Orwell pointed out, some animals are more equal than others. Striving for equal treatment before the law is a uniquely human endeavor, but if we are to have laws, a noble one.

As far as the idea that all children should receive a "participation" reward so as not to injure their sense of self-worth...I think that does more harm than good. Eventually, they move on from the coddling facility and must compete on their own merits. That can be a rather rude, and unnecessary, awakening. But then, I disagree with how we "educate" children, and that's a whole separate topic.

When it comes to the other areas society tries to impose equality...I can live with the concept of equal opportunity, but that should come with no guaranteed outcome.

Life isn't "fair". That is simply a fact.

Bozette Bozette

Equality rewards a society with opportunities to develop intelligence and adaptability and long-term that gives them the greatest chance of survival over a society ruled by the law of the jungle where hunting and fighting are the only required skills.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

It's better if its fair, things are not but it's a nice idea, it's what separates us from animals. for us to thrive we dont require raw physical strength to survive like our cave ancestors. Then again a lot of things in society today are mostly fair, you get what you deserve unless someone has it all ready for you and you just eat like a baby bird.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Equality is not natural. However if we look at the behavior of bonobos we can see a natural society where everyone is taken care of and the strong protect the weak and intern are given better treatment. The thing is there is nothing wrong with alpha male type people some people are amazing and stand above the rest and people want the great to succeed and many people with give lots of money time and resources to those people and that is great. I think the main reason people have started to hate those at the top is that they are shirking their responsibilities as an alpha they are given the best to protect and serve and when they fail to do so they have broken the unspoken contract. Power in itself is not wrong it's how those in power use it. The alphas need to be leaders not tyrants.

Willcooper Willcooper