ThisLadyIsDangerous

Nobody :)

PhilboydStudgedru18AdaSukiesnowprimeiroThisLadyIsDangerous
I'm so terrified to grow older. I hate seeing the people around me growing older, I wish them and me could stay young. It eats at me :( I hate aging. It's starting to eat at me. I hate how fast society changes and how everything that was traditional when I was a child, changes and is replaced by something more modern. I hate how the people around me change in personality as they grow older. It feels like I don't recognise some of them anymore after not having seen them for years. I hate how I'm already 21 and how time flies and flies. Before I know it I will be old and grey :( I hate how the cute little kids I once babysit on are now becoming young men and young women. I feel pressured to rush goals I have because I'm scared that I will be old before I know it. I miss the fact that I don't have the safe and warm protection from my parents anymore that I had as a child. When I see old people I feel very confronted with the fact that I will be old and grey myself one day. I want to live ethernal, I want to stay forever young. I want to keep the people I love with me forever, I am terrified by the thought that dead will separate us from each other one day. I am scared of boring routines like having a 9-5 job, barely any free time,... having to figure out how to pay the bills, being in a boring marriage,... Haaalppppp I don't want to have to think about my retirement yet.

I'm old, probably the oldest here, it's not so bad a few aches and pains which are not that bad..if you stay active and eat reasonably well, then you can live a long while..I have a great life and a great family and I never wish I was younger because my grandchildren would not be around and so you accept your life and make the most of it...no one wants to die but you have to accept it will happen ..

JD JD

Unfortunately it is inevitable.

I have found that worrying about things that are outside of my control are an exercise in futility.

I am not saying that your feelings are less than valid, just that there is perhaps better ways to spend energy :)

AliceD AliceD

Everyone worries about getting older...especially people who say they don't. Nothing you can do except think about it and try to come to terms with it.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

JD JD

same, the one consolation I can think of is that aging means the accumulation of experiences, which is ultimately what life is about

DWF DWF

Would you tell a five year old not to turn six?! You do understand the alternative I hope.

shinrin shinrin

Every stage of my life has had its own beauty, and I'm grateful for each of my 70 years. I hope to be a work in progress until the end.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

What jan said

Carla Carla

You know those old people you make fun of now, if you are lucky, one day you will be one of those old people.(smirk)

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In response to “You know those old people you make fun of...

I never made fun of old people. I said I was scared to grow old.

ThisLadyIsDangerous ThisLadyIsDangerous OP

In response to “I never made fun of old people. I said I was...

I didn't either, I just thought it was funny because we really are turning into those old people. Considering the alternative, I'll take old age, for now.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

One's existence is ever-changing. Suffering arises when we become attached to the things we desire. Even as we are enjoying them, we know they won't last. (At least that's my superficial understanding of what the Buddha said).

I found this understanding - along with an equally superficial understanding of the concept of Anatman (no self) - quite liberating.

If you're interested you should look up "the four noble truths". They are insights the Buddha had about human suffering.. Here is just one link.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-f...-truths-450095

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

For you at 21 years old to fear growing old and longing for the days of when your parents protected you and took care of you, unfortunately is a sad indicator that your parents coddled you, instead of raising you to become a confident adult, well adjusted, productive member of society. When those of my generation turned 18 we couldn't wait to MOVE OUT of our parent's home, yet here you are at 21 yrs old in 2017 whining about life changes as you get older and having to live on your own. My 2 teenagers can't wait to move out and live on their own after graduating college....because they were raised to become productive members of society and to not rely on mommy and daddy or the government when they became ADULTS, as my parents taught my siblings and I growing up.
Growing old is a part of life and one is only as OLD as they feel as they age...I'm 54 and I don't feel "old" AT ALL and have never felt old no matter what birthday I've celebrated, yet sadly you already "feel old" at just 21 years old living in the greatest country on Earth with so many opportunities for you to you to pursue your happiness in life.

Gronk17 Gronk17

I am about to turn sixty and I say age is just a number to be ignored.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

I just hate the way this country views aging.

dru18 dru18

Yeah major bummer. δΉ‚ºοΈ΅ºδΉ‚

Ada Ada