Yes

BudwickStarzAboveBozetteVisigothicreignOzSurferLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredZolfieWill_JanitorRoosterAliceDFreedomFighterJetOh_DaveyshinrinSynysterGatesQuizzyCbear1

No

DW2JustJimColoHowler

Probably

VicZincPiper2TiffaneeSofiaPartyOfOnebird1986Sunny_the_skeptic

Unsure

TrishsoberlikekeshaJaxxiBichrissykrying

Other

ZonkeyBallsBub

DW2doctorwho1011Piper2TiffaneeStarzAboveBozetteOzSurferSofiaWill_JanitorSukiesnowMarianneprimeiroZonkeyBallsBubDar
Suppose your region loses power for a month or two. Would society break down? Could you survive?

Explained by PhilboydStudge...

Sandworm, a group of Russian computer hackers, have been wreaking havoc in the Ukraine. One of their targets has been power grids. Some experts are concerned because the software intrusions gain access to a secure system, but then stop short of causing the maximum damage. It could be that the Russians are merely honing their skills for later use against the United States.

Anything longer than 3 days would be a problem, and it would get much worse every day there after.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Losing electricity in the middle of the winter can be extremely annoying and somewhat dangerous. Losing electricity in the middle of the summer can be extremely annoying and somewhat dangerous. Probably those of us with axe grinding workshops can fare better than most, unless they get paid in grinded axes, in which case the breakdown of society is inevitable. Such a feedback loop could grow and grow to insane proportions.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

It's the same kind of danger / difficulty we would face with an EMP attack. It would be like being suddenly thrown back to the mid 1800's.

No power means no light, no heat, no water, no refrigeration, no gas pumps. We're simply not prepared for such an event. It would be pretty bad.

Budwick Budwick

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

A month or two? For a necessity like electricity that we're used to for years? I'm grumpy even when we lose power for a few hours let alone month, survive yes I would but life would become very difficult.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Life would be very difficult. I'm not sure I have enough candles for that length of time or batteries for my lantern or other electronics. I would run out of reading material which would make me very unhappy. On the bright side, I could lose a bit of weight.

Linnster Linnster

I don't think I would survive. I might have to go back to reading by candle light - and you know how hard that is on the eyes.

We were without hydro and I start panicking. Of course I survived Toronto's Blackout but that was only a day or 2. You just know it's not going to last long.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

It would be very difficult, but I would survive.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I have a generator in the garage, it would be inconvenient but I would survive.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Back to camping. A month would be a bit long but I'm pretty sure we could do it if we had to.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

I would eat others to survive.

Visigothicreign Visigothicreign

A college town with no electricity in 2017? Funny

Wunderscore

I'm trying to think of what we need electricity for.

Do gas stations stay open with no light?
Do hospital and clinics generators last indefinitely?
What about subways and trains? Only Bus now? I normally use the subway, and when it goes on strike, I have to use the bus, and it's a nightmare. Too many people on such a little space and many people end up not fitting inside.
And can schools open with no electricity? I guess that one could happen, but most colleges provide the material through the internet or copies, so everything would go old school, and I'm not sure that would work on such a short notice.
Also, I couldn't charge my phone, so no way of communicating with anyone without being face to face, and I live in a big city with no car. A lot of things would go wrong if it went for too long.
Also, all the food in the refrigerator and in the freezer, bye bye. (that would hurt - I have my freezer full).

I mean, can I survive? Sure. But it would be a clusterfuck.

Sofia Sofia

I have no religion... thank God

Bub Bub

In response to “I have no religion... thank God

Region Bub, not religion. "Suppose your region loses power for a month or two. "

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Region Bub, not religion. "Suppose your...

My comment stands

Bub Bub

What's all this fuss about Presidential ****? It's a topic that's irrelevant and something I'd rather not think about. And besides, it's really none of our business.

Wait, what? Presidential Elections? Oh. That's different. Never mind.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge OP

In response to “What's all this fuss about Presidential...

Presidential **** stopped being interesting after Clinton.

Tiffanee

I honestly read that as religion and as such the post intrigued me... LOL

That know-it-all BW had to point out what a dummy I was/am... (cry)

Bub Bub

In response to “I honestly read that as religion and as such...

That know it all Budwick read it the same way you did! I was also intrigued by the question.

It was when I read some of the other answers that I realized my mistake.

I would also tell you if your zipper were open - to prevent embarrassment if one of the hens took a look ... and didn't see anything. I'm a helpful kind of guy Bub. It wasn't meant to hurt your feelings. Would you like for me to delete your comment and mine? Happy to do it!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “That know it all Budwick read it the same way...

You are a lovable old crank and know-it-all... I thought my lighthearted jab at you was appropriate and humorous, no?

Bub Bub

In response to “You are a lovable old crank and...

Totally!
I wet my Depends!
But, it doesn't matter - they're phuckin diapers!

Budwick Budwick

Yes and no.

The main part of our society, i.e. institutional and a great deal of commercial aspects would be brought to a standstill. Water, food, and medical care would be critically unavailable and, frankly, people would suffer and die. Particularly if such happened during temps of either extreme.

I think that many would pull together, help others, and that our ingenuity would kick in once people realized it would last an unknown period of time. It would be devastating and tragic, it would bring out the best and the worst in people, but overall, we would get through it. Sadder, wiser, and perhaps (one would hope) with a greater understanding of what is truly important.

Great question, Phil.

Bozette Bozette

I would be very trying, for sure. Just a few days have been, even when it hasn't been brutally hot or cold. I figure it would be pretty chaotic, all around.
I saw a little bit of that chaos yesterday, just because hurricane Irma might hit my region. People were getting sort of aggressive about their needs, like food, water, and fuel. Many weren't, but I saw signs of it.

Piper2 Piper2

It would be chaotic anarchy.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

There would be an emergency situation, for sure, and many things would have to be done manually. And priority with generators and alternative energy generation would have to be given to hospitals and other, important public services, distributers, etc.

We had once a power failure in a whole region for hours at freezing temperatures on New Year's Eve. We could not cook, the heating did not work, we had a cold supper with candle light, talked to an officer at the emergency center (with the cell phone), wrapped in warm blankets ...

The power was back around 3 a.m., while everybody was fast asleep.

Marianne Marianne

because the part of the country that I'm from down in the South we were very resilient when it comes to no power we can basically survive up land provider on heat water food clothing shelter and we have places that we can go to safety and bring anybody else that wants to come along and try to survive and then before you know it you got a whole militia on your hand stand up for each other as a patriot group if you will what do they does everybody's cause an anarchy has to come up hill to Dethrone you and that ain't that easy to do I play King of the Hill when I was a kid is never defeated that I can remember but answer the question yes we wouldn't survive in the southern region where I live Arkansas in the house

Cbear1 Cbear1

I could get by for a month living where I am now as I have enough food in the pantry and a huge freshwater lake near by. But it would really come down to how others react. If others in town keep it together we all should be ok providing the elderly and disabled etc are brought water, but if law and order breaks down water would be the least of my problems.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Yes I am in Maine, so many people here live on the edge already, it would be a pain but we all expect it. Every wimnter the power is down for weeks at a time. Most have a woodstove and propane in the house. Food dosen't spoil because it is cold , just pack it up and put iot into a snowbank.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

I would be much better off and more useful if I knew the power was NEVER coming back, than wondering WHEN it was coming back.

Know what I mean? (hmm)

Oh_Davey Oh_Davey

Yeah a lot of people rely on power for security, entertainment, comfort... and without these people would be bolder to be trying more risky things such as stealing and other things that hurt socirty.

Zolfie Zolfie

7 acres in the woods one of only 6 homes on 90 acres total cul de sac me thinks we would survive.

shinrin shinrin

Would be a pain, but hey this is maine half the people here live with nothing to start with. Very Very poor, I will go stay with my buddy Jon, he built his home under a hill of springs plenty of water, enormous wood stove in the cellar heats it well power or no. Once when power was out for a month he had a bunch staying with him, they didn't want to leave when the power came back. Oh he grows lots of pot so maybe that is why they would't leave . (goo)

One month.. maybe. Minus 5 percent of the population. 2 months probably 15% of the Population. 1 year... Depending on the area I’d be shocked if more than 20% of the current population was alive. 10 years. 2%

DW2 DW2

We had a bad ice storm last January. Over a 100,000 without power for up to 10 days. I had no power in the middle of the City for 3 days. People get nasty without the ability to charge their devices. So I can't imagine what kind of chaos a month or two would bring. It wouldn't be pretty.

Dar Dar