Once a man was asked, 'what did you gain by regularly praying to God?' The man replied, 'nothing...but let me tell you what I lost: Anger, ego, greed, depression, insecurity and fear of death.' Sometimes the answer to our prayers is not gaining but losing; which ultimately is the gain."

BudwickSynysterGatessh9683Will_JanitorBrianlmona1986TheCensoredBritkrying

PhilboydStudgesoberlikekesha

BudwickWill_JanitorMazeSynysterGates

I imagine this is true for most, but not for me. I was still angry, depressed, insecure, and feared death.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I imagine this is true for most, but not for...

I too was angry with God when My father died of cancer when he was just 57.

I have come to understand that my understanding or my need to understand Gods workings are many, many times outside of my ability to comprehend.

This is where our faith/trust in God comes in to play. As a child I had to depend on blind faith that my parents knew what was best for me even when I didn't agree.

And in those times that I was in disagreement with them I was subject to their will.

As children we tend to push back against our parents authority. When what we should be doing is embracing it.

It is no different in our relationship with our Creator. If we stop pushing back and learn to trust. Our lives would change dramatically.

The idea of death would no longer bring dread. But instead the knowledge of a new and completely different life.

I look forward to that life for it will be like nothing you can possibly imagine.

Brianl Brianl

In response to “I too was angry with God when My father died...

If that's what works for you then run with it. I could never get myself to stop pushing back (i.e. asking questions).

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “If that's what works for you then run with...

There is nothing wrong with asking questions or questioning the Creator.

It is no different then when my sons were growing up they asked many, many questions of me.

They didn't always like the answer. The difference is whether or not to trust in the answer.

Brianl Brianl

I agree. I think a lot of people are truely comforted by prayer.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I agree. I think a lot of people are truely...

Its for more than just personal comfort Will. I can say with all the honesty I posses that I have had prayers answered.

Brianl Brianl

So very true.

Brianl Brianl

and praying for ourselves is good but not good enough when we can pray for others...as we choose to pray for others we gain more as you had mentioned we lose all the selfish trades...that is what I have learnt as a Baha'i and followed to do, but I don't pray as often as is needed to but I don't feel like praying any more.

mona1986 mona1986