DeKalb County police officer repeatedly beating a defenseless homeless woman - in my mind, the officer's behavior was subhuman - what do you think?

Lil_PrincessTiffaneeOzSurferAdaWill_JanitorSukiesnowMazeBubSynysterGates

Upon the officer’s arrival, the female, identified as Katie McCrary, attempted to push the officer out of the way. The officer stopped her at the door and asked her to step back. Words were exchanged between the officer and McCrary with McCrary subsequently assaulting the officer. She continued to aggressively resist the officer’s commands, resulting in the deployment of the officer’s baton.

Ok now that I have read the eyewitness accounts. I find that the homeless Prostitute started the altercation by refusing to listen to the officer. Now having said that. Do I think he needed to wail on this person probably not.

But as someone who has done ride alongs with law enforcement. I can tell you that things are seldom as thet appear. I recall a time when we were called to a disturbance at a restaurant. Upon arival we found a black woman who was quite hostile not only to us but anyone else.

After repeated attempts to reason with her to come out side so that we could get to the bottom of what was wrong. It got ugly fast. Long story short it took 4 grown men to get this one skinny little woman in the patrol car.

Some people leave you no choice but to have deal with them harshly. The person in question according to the people who work in the conveniance store has been a problem for a long while.

I know everyone is on the side of the woman and I'm not saying that the officer is blameless. But don't think for one second that this woman wouldn't stick you in the ribs to take your money if that's what they wanted to do and have zero remorse.

Ok you all are free to savage me for my observations and comments.

Brianl Brianl

That was disgusting.

Here is another link - http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/11/u...ing/index.html

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “That was disgusting. Here is another link -...

and infuriating that the department would send anyone like him out in the field.

Thanks for your comment and the link - I'll check it out now ;)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

I'm surprised the cop was cleared of any wrongdoing prior to the release of the video, especially when you compare what he did to what she might've done - what an effed-up mindset the department has and gets away with.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

They should do more psychological tests on cops before they become cops. Power-hungry ****.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “They should do more psychological tests on...

I coudn't agree more - certainly more thorough tests and a stricter behavioral policy for anyone going out into the field.

Thanks for your input, cherie :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “There is

It obviously is not good enough.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I doesn't matter if it's a cop,priest,kid, whatever, beating up on a defenseless homeless woman is digesting.
He should automatically be suspended for 6 months with no pay, then reevaluated.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “I doesn't matter if it's a cop,priest,kid...

Not a bad idea.

Thanks for your input ;)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

You can only change your name twice on Amirite.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “You can only change your name twice on Amirite.

True, but how does that fit into this issue? I'm missing something :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “True, but how does that fit into this issue?...

That was for Markymark.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “That was for Markymark.

Ahhh... I didn't tie that in with the whole thread, hierarchy thing; some days I'm not terribly on-the-ball :) Thank you ;D

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

Nope ... I may change it again.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

It sure looks like a severe over reaction or out right battery.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Brianl Brianl

In response to “Upon the officer’s arrival, the female...

I still have to say that using the baton as hard and as often as he used it seems to me overkill and cruel. I can't comment on her part of the issue since I haven't seen it - still, I appreciate your input... it does lend some balance so thank you :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “I still have to say that using the baton as...

I do agree about the use of the baton. He did let his emotions get away from him.

One thing we need remember is these guys are human being's not programmable machines.

And think about this, what if everybody you dealt in the performance of doing your own job was almost always pissed off at you.

Having to deal with that day in and day out I think would begin to affect even to most stable minded person.

Brianl Brianl

In response to “I do agree about the use of the baton. He did...

I'll admit to the day-in, day-out effects of abuse towards law enforcement personnel - I can appreciate the psychological aspects that they'd have to sort through, adapt to, and reign-in, not to mention too much of the pressures within the department they work within - that must be a pressure cooker.

With all that said, and all that the woman may have done, I still stand firm that what he had done should not be excusable, nor should a punishment be lightened.

Once again, thank you for all your efforts to make this a fairer issue than the smaller contribution that I had originally made.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

Now it's completely different when we hear the full story, otherwise when you see a big bad cop beating a small woman with a baton of course all hate shifts to the law.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Thanks Brian. Someone needed to say this.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Thanks Brian. Someone needed to say this.

Thank you for being brave enough to say so. Look I know there are bad cops. just like there are bad doctors, Lawyers, accountants etc.

Something we need to think about where it concerns our law enforcement officers is they too suffer from a kind PTSD from doing an extremely tough job everyday of their lives.

And other than their scheduled day off they get no real break from the psychological impact of doing what is essentially a thankless job.

The divorce rate for law enforcement officers is at a higher rate than the national average.

How would each one of us deal with going from having to work a horrific traffic fatality in the morning.

To in the afternoon trying run down a crack head who just drug an elderly woman to the ground, killing her to steal her purse just so he can get high again. (this BTW actually happened here in my town)

Do we need to strive to weed out the bad ones. Yes of course

Brianl Brianl

so this is bad i am shock no one is actually running the story.

ergoproxy ergoproxy

what kind of name is dekalb?

ergoproxy ergoproxy

In response to “what kind of name is dekalb?

It took its name from Baron Johann de Kalb who fought in the American Revolutionary War - Google search for more information.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

I have mixed emotions about this, she might have provoked him, wouldn't obey, and he had to take action. Just looks like he could have went about it in a different manner, like tazing her instead beating with a club...just my opinion.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I have mixed emotions about this, she might...

I would have rather she was tazed, once - twice if completely necessary - many officers go overboard with that, too.

Thanks for your input, Starz, I appreciate it :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “I would have rather she was tazed, once -...

I've always thought when there is a police shooting/killing, why didn't they just taze that person before shooting.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I've always thought when there is a police...

I've often thought the same. I guess it depends a lot on the speed at which altercations develop and the likelihood that the perp's advantage is at a higher level (?)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “I've often thought the same. I guess it...

That's true, and emotions run high when in a life/death situation! I had a friend who was a cop, and he watched his back all the time, even in a restaurant he would never sit with his back to a door for fear of getting shot. That would be pretty terrible to live like that.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “That's true, and emotions run high when in a...

I can only imagine...

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

Starz you are correct in your perception of the facts in this case. Not saying the officer didn't go overboard. But as there usually is there is a lot more to this story than what the video shows.

Brianl Brianl

In response to “Starz you are correct in your perception of...

I agree. We just never know for sure what has happened to provoke this behavior. I do know that the cops have a very tough job, they never know when a person will turn violent and shoot them. We had a cop in the area who went to help an accident victim, and the driver of the car shot and killed the cop, for no reason whatsoever. Go figure that one.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I agree. We just never know for sure what...

Starz see my original response to this post. I have an eyewitness account of how this went down.

Brianl Brianl

Have to agree.Some people should never be cops.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

In response to “Have to agree.Some people should never be cops.

Thanks for your input ;)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

There's an old English saying that goes "Don't pick up fag ends." 'Fag ends' being slang for cigarette butts. The concept is, don't jump to conclusions about an interaction between two people based solely on the few seconds you just saw, as that can be misleading. This video looks like a classic example.

On the face of it, it looks like the officer is being unnecessarily violent, and for all I know that might be the case, but I didn't get to see everything that led up to those few seconds of footage, the video doesn't show how the situation started or how it developed, only how it ended, making the video a classic fag end. So I'll resist the urge to pass judgement, that's for others to decide anyway, but it definitely doesn't look good.

I hope it goes without saying I don't mean any homophobic shit by saying fag ends, it's just old British slang that has nothing to do with that subject. But, for the sake of clarity in the age of PC...

Maze Maze

In response to “There's an old English saying that goes...

I appreciate your input, either way you see it - thanks for your views.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “I appreciate your input, either way you see...

Thanks for your interest.

Maze Maze

I am afraid that we see increasingly police, soldiers and other representatives of authorities overreacting or abusing, in a climate of violence, hate, fear, speed and extreme performance demands, where weaker, poorer, naive, disbled or somewhat different people, are still widely considered as a threat or as the ideal scapegoats.
And violence toward children and women is still considered by too many as normal or as unimportant "failures" - as a consequence, also police forces tend to follow such ideas.

There is no excuse for police violence, but there is also a problem with the whole system - with governments, organisations, justice, leaders, economy, health control, education and further training, values, superstitions, political influences and beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P..._United_States

Marianne Marianne

In response to “I am afraid that we see increasingly police...

Thank you, Marianne, for your generous, insightful contribution - it's appreciated :) I hope you and those you care about have been well in every sense of the word :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “Thank you, Marianne, for your generous...

You're very welcome, Party Of One, and thank you for your kind words. Right now, I am dealing with sad news, but I hope that I can do the right things.

Marianne Marianne

In response to “You're very welcome, Party Of One, and thank...

I'm troubled by the pressure that must be weighing on your mind. Please feel free to be in-touch if there's any form of relief I could give.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “I'm troubled by the pressure that must be...

Thank you very much, Party Of One, your kind words are already helping a lot.

I am quite aware that all of us have to carry a heavy burden.

Marianne Marianne

In response to “Thank you very much, Party Of One, your kind...

As you wish... still, if needs change, I won't retract the offer - I'll leave that up to you, of course.

Best wishes. *hugs*

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

In response to “As you wish... still, if needs change, I...

Thank you so much, Party of one; I will come back to you, of course, but by private message. (l)(smile)

Marianne Marianne

If only our society lived up to it's own ideals of justice

Willcooper Willcooper

In response to “If only our society lived up to it's own...

I'm with you on that issue.

Thanks for posting your feedback, it's appreciated :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

It's reprehensible. I always say I'd die rather than live homeless. You're not safe from: the elements, robbery, abuse, rape, or murder. The truth is, people living in homelessness are seen as animals. They're blamed for their situation. They're targets. It's sick. These are our fellow human beings. There's no excuse for this.

Trish Trish

Oh that is extremely sad. He should have handled the situation better in my opinion.

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

Inhuman for any reason

S_Tirta S_Tirta

I see no article of this so therefore I cannot say anything

symplycurious symplycurious

In response to “I see no article of this so therefore I...

Just the same, thank you for your willingness to post as much as you have... that's appreciated.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/vi...6489042099.mp4

//The footage above is from a Daily Mail this news article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news...man-baton.html
乂ᴼₒᴼ乂

Ada Ada

In response to “http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/07/...

Thank you, kind Ada :D

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP

47 seconds of video is not evidence enough to provide what lead to his need to subdue her in such manner. I would bet the farm she resisted, had she grabbed his gun would we feel better if one of the two were mortally wounded instead of banged up but still breathing?

shinrin shinrin

In response to “47 seconds of video is not evidence enough to...

Food for thought :)

Thanks for posting your views, that's appreciated.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne OP