Mod Team
<b>Is LGBTQ missing the initial "S"?</b>

Darkest_SerenityOzSurferAdaWill_JanitorSukiesnowMazeZonkeyBallsBub
Is LGBTQ missing the initial "S"?

Explained by Sukiesnow...

And I've noticed the word "Straight" is not listed on Amirite's selection of Topics...although Gay and Lesbian are.

That's ok. I don't think straight rights are in question.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “That's ok. I don't think straight rights are...

No?

Alberta, Canada’s Progressive New Government Bans the Words “Mother” and “Father” in Schools
https://www.amren.com/news/2016...er-in-schools/

Astral Drive Elementary School in Halifax, Nova Scotia, removed all Mother's Day and Father's Day celebrations in 2011 and replaced them with an "International Day of Families," which was celebrated May 15. The annual event is recognized by the United Nations.

The change in policy reportedly came after a same-**** couple complained about the separate Mother's Day and Father's Day holiday celebrations at the school. The couple expressed to school officials that their daughter didn't feel comfortable participating in either Mother's or Father's Day activities at school, CBC News reported.
https://www.deseretnews.com/art...ebrations.html

Maze Maze

In response to “No? Alberta, Canada’s Progressive New...

Is someone being arrested for celebrating Mother's Day?

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Is someone being arrested for celebrating...

Is someone being arrested for being gay?

Maze Maze

In response to “Is someone being arrested for being gay?

No but there have been legal and financial issues with several state laws that discriminated against gay folks.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “No but there have been legal and financial...

Oh, I see. So, how does persecuting straight people prevent that? How is it okay to be able to celebrate gay pride, but not to be able to celebrate Mothers' Day?

Maze Maze

In response to “Oh, I see. So, how does persecuting straight...

You can celebrate Mother's Day if you so desire anytime you like. Where are you being persecuted? I don't feel persecuted at all.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “You can celebrate Mother's Day if you so...

They kicked it out of school.

Maze Maze

In response to “They kicked it out of school.

Ya know, I don't ever remember celebrating Mother's Day in school. I do remember celebrating it at home with my family, and I still didn't feel persecuted.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Ya know, I don't ever remember celebrating...

So because you didn't feel persecuted back in the day, when things were normal, now nobody else should feel persecuted when everything normal is being marginalized and everything abnormal is being celebrated?

I'm all for tolerance, but it goes both ways. In the case of that one school, that community was absolutely tolerant of the gay couple, but the gay couple wasn't tolerant in return, demanding the community's institutions tear down longstanding traditions to prevent their child from having to face the abnormal reality they created for her. Or am I reading the situation wrong?

Maze Maze

In response to “So because you didn't feel persecuted back in...

Maybe I am reading it wrong. I don't think schools should have much to do with celebrating holidays. If they would handle the basics of education I would appreciate them much more.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

As a gay man I have to say I'm puzzled as to why a same-**** couple would object to Mother's or Father's Day. If they have a child then they are both mothers or fathers.

There are bigger things to worry about than this.

(no)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

And the spiral down into insanity continues.

Brianl Brianl

What, short lesbians get a special treatment these days?

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

No. The S is there. It's just silent so nobody knows it stands for Segregated. (hehe)

ASPD ASPD

In response to “No. The S is there. It's just silent so...

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that was smart! It's so catchy because it's cool. How times change, I guess it's revenge for the past mistreatment of gays and now it's looked down on being regular.

A scenario just came to my mind.In a super pro LGBTQRSTUV house. A boy sits down on the table for breakfast and says "Mom, mom..........I'm....straight.... and one of the moms is outraged while the other is understanding but is crying.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that was smart! It's...

I think a sit-com had a scene like that....was it Friends?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “I think a sit-com had a scene like...

I havnt watched friends a lot

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

i'm offended, I'm going to protest.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

That would mean they'd be fighting for everyone's rights, and that's not how identity politics works. It's about keeping people divided - seeing the world through the lens of us and them.

Maze Maze

In response to “That would mean they'd be fighting for...

insert " everyday is straight pride parade " if you dare say something.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I think you have it all wrong.

Inequality is what keeps people divided and "identity politics" is the result.

You said sarcastically "That would mean fighting for everyone's rights,..." Well the obvious question I have for you is exactly what rights are you not already enjoying? Have you ever been fired for being heterosexual? Have you ever been denied an apartment or refused service because you're straight?

The reality is that there are federal anti-discrimination laws covering race, ****, age, religion, country of origin, mental or physical disability, and even genetic predisposition, but there is no federal statute that covers sexual orientation or identity. State laws vary greatly, only some have anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBT people, and several states have even had ballot initiatives or proposed constitutional amendments reversing or outlawing any anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBT people. As a result in most places in the United States, it is perfectly legal to deny LGBT people housing or employment.

That's what's "keeping people divided" and that's why people see the world through "the lens of us and them".

And one last thing if I may? "fighting for everyone's rights" sounds great, but in this context what does it really mean? You have rights that are denied others. Are you fighting for everyone's rights? And what about those on the other side? They not only oppose LGBT rights, they are actively fighting against them. Aren't they seeing the world through "the lens of us and them"? Aren't they also using "identity politics"?

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “I think you have it all wrong. Inequality is...

Look at the language used to define the debate, typically the conversation is about "group x rights," rather than how group x is being denied their "individual rights".

We all have our individual rights, so it's in my interest to ensure that your individual rights are being respected, just as it's in your interest to ensure that my individual rights are being respected. Because if someone can get away with violating your individual rights, that means they can get away with violating my rights too, because it's the same set of rights.

Not so with framing the discussion around gay rights or women's rights, black rights or native rights, it's easy to see that as somebody else's problem. I'm not gay, why should I care about gay rights? So it divides people up into little groups that don't stand up for each other, and I believe it's deliberate.

Maze Maze

In response to “Look at the language used to define the...

So if I'm following you correctly, your objection is with the idea of "group rights" as opposed to "individual rights"? Okay. Interesting...

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

I'm missing the point.....lol

JD JD

I get that the L, B, and T mean "lettuce", "bacon", and "tomato", but what's the Q? Quiche? Quail egg?

Logan Logan

In response to “I get that the L, B, and T mean...

I like spinach quiche.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Now I'm hongry...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

1 LGBT sandwich please, and dont spare the mayo

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “1 LGBT sandwich please, and dont spare the mayo

Ha ha...that comment really had me rolling on the floor, laughing my **** off....

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

No, the entire point of the acronym is to talk about people who aren't straight

DWF DWF

In some parts of the world they have issues that don't relate to straight people, so it seems reasonable that they have a category specifically for this.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “In some parts of the world they have issues...

Yes but will it be forever? Maybe we're all used to it by now...or soon...then they can drop the acro.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Yes but will it be //forever?// Maybe we're...

Well hopefully at some point. I don't know about other parts of the world but we are in the midst of a marriage equality vote and the hate and discrimination that's going on has never been so great in Australia. It'd a dark time for us at the moment. So yes I guess there is that division here but I would love to see a time when there isn't a need for the acro like you said.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “Well hopefully at some point. I don't know...

Yes... Well, I know it in my mind...but I realize most people don't feel that way....so...we might have to keep the initials around for awhile.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

LGBTQ is missing the boat not just another letter of the alphabet

Brianl Brianl

In response to “LGBTQ is missing the boat not just another...

If you had your way Brian, we'd be stuck in the 50s.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “If you had your way Brian, we'd be stuck in...

Would I be STUCK in the 50's? No. But despite what has been made of the 1950's most of it was good.

Were we still wrestling with some major social issues. of course we were.

And frankly if the federal government hadn't stepped in and "fixed" things we would be better off today.

Brianl Brianl

In response to “Would I be STUCK in the 50's? No. But...

(smile)

What was your experience of the hurricane...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

During the storm it was very intense. The strongest part of the storm right over us.

The home sustained some minor damage. My beautiful Oaks took a pounding. especially my big grandfather oak.

Lots and lots of water. We were the lucky ones and only without power for a little over 3 days.

Still trying get things back to normal.

Brianl Brianl

In response to “During the storm it was very intense. The...

Glad you didn't suffer more...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “Glad you didn't suffer more...

Thanks we were very fortunate.

Brianl Brianl

No, "S" is not missing.

LGBTQ is really more of a political term than anything else. It's most often used when discussing issues regarding equal rights.

There's no rule against adding "S" but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve.

I'm not sure why amirite doesn't have a "straight" category.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon