Mod Team
<b>Why and how was this planet called Earth?</b> <em>Like, really.</em>

doctorwho1011TiffaneeDandyDonAdaWill_JanitorSukiesnowRooster
Why and how was this planet called Earth? Like, really.

Explained by Sukiesnow...

Okay, Google it... I don't care enough to google but thought it was a good question. Can we speculate instead of Google?

The band voted on it?

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

With more than 70% of the planet being water It'd be more logical to call it Water.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

No real reason...it could've been named salami..

Earth was a word not already being used..

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “Salami! Ha!

(smirk2)

DandyDon DandyDon

The band voted on it?

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Well, just off the top of my head, I'd say The modern English word Earth developed from a wide variety of Middle English forms, which derived from an Old English noun most often spelled eorðe. It has cognates in every Germanic language, and their proto-Germanic root has been reconstructed as *erþō. In its earliest appearances, eorðe was already being used to translate the many senses of Latin terra and Greek γῆ (gē): the ground, its soil, dry land, the human world, the surface of the world (including the sea), and the globe itself. As with Terra and Gaia, Earth was a personified goddess in Germanic paganism: the Angles were listed by Tacitus as among the devotees of Nerthus, and later Norse mythology included Jörð, a giantess often given as the mother of Thor.
Originally, earth was written in lowercase, and from early Middle English, its definite sense as "the globe" was expressed as the earth. By early Modern English, many nouns were capitalized, and the earth became (and often remained) the Earth, particularly when referenced along with other heavenly bodies. More recently, the name is sometimes simply given as Earth, by analogy with the names of the other planets. House styles now vary: Oxford spelling recognizes the lowercase form as the most common, with the capitalized form an acceptable variant. Another convention capitalizes "Earth" when appearing as a name (e.g. "Earth's atmosphere") but writes it in lowercase when preceded by the (e.g. "the atmosphere of the earth"). It almost always appears in lowercase in colloquial expressions such as "what on earth are you doing? Does that help?

Ain't I intelligent? (hehe)

Bookyanka Bookyanka

In response to “Well, just off the top of my head, I'd say...

I want to know what these folks call it.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I want to know what these folks call...

If they're monitoring, they call it Idiocracy.

Bookyanka Bookyanka

You get an "A."

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

It's called something else in almost every other language.

It's like why do we call water, water, in English but it's called eau in French.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Out of all the planet names it is the ugliest one. I would prefer it be called Saturn.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

The name "Earth" is derived from both English and German words, 'eor(th)e/ertha' and 'erde', respectively, which mean ground. But, the handle's creator is unknown. One interesting fact about its name: Earth is the only planet that wasn't named after a Greek or Roman god or goddess.
https://www.livescience.com/322...-its-name.html

Rooster Rooster

In response to “The name "Earth" is derived from both...

That is noteworthy; and probably why we are so conventional...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

In response to “That is noteworthy; and probably why we are...

...and what I said (no)

Bookyanka Bookyanka

The word for "earth" in many languages is also the word for "soil" or "ground".

Thibault Thibault

In response to “The word for "earth" in many...

I thought of that...but doesn't every planet have a "ground" of a sort?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

Birth Place of Civilisatation?

Amish1 Amish1