Mod Team
Did you know that beloved TV weather icon Al Roker does not have a degree in meteorology?

Yes. Everyone knows that. Most weather bimbos don't.

Nobody :(

No. I did not know that. OMG!

Nobody :(

So what? He's gentle, effeminate, and America loves him.

Bookyanka

So what? A degree is just a piece of paper.

StarzAbove

So what? It's TV, where ratings rule. Nothing on TV is real.

Rooster

So what? Neither does Willard Scott or Janice Dean, the "weather machine".

Nobody :(

So what? He has A degree in communications. That means he knows everything.

Nobody :(

So what? It's only weather. Weather is not important.

Nobody :(

Hmmm...how about that?

BudwickWill_Janitor

Other

Nobody :(

StarzAboveWill_JanitorRooster

Explained by Bookyanka...

( http://biography.jrank.org/pages/2478/Roker-Al.html ) At minimum, meteorologists need a Bachelor of Science degree, which typically takes four years to complete. However, many meteorologists choose to pursue Master of Science or even doctoral degrees.

That's interesting. American Meteorological Association accreditation is required for weathermen to appear on TV. No accreditation - No TV gig.
Oh, by the way, you are required to publicly subscribe to the AMA version of climate change to receive accreditation.

So, apparently you don't necessarily have to me a meteorologist to be a weatherman, just a sell out!

Budwick Budwick

This is not a personal assault on Al Roker, or weather people. It is an assault on TV (smile)

Bookyanka Bookyanka OP

Don't really care as I don't watch him much at all and the weather people are wrong so much any way!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Don't really care as I don't watch him much...

I love when they say "partly sunny" or "partly cloudy with a 50% chance of scattered showers". lol Maybe it will and maybe it won't. (hehe)

Bookyanka Bookyanka OP

In response to “I love when they say "partly sunny"...

Time to spin the dial again! LOL

Rooster Rooster

I don't think his not having a degree matters, they never get the weather right anyway, so a degree means nothing.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Budwick Budwick

In response to “That's interesting. American Meteorological...

All you need is a pretty face, big ****, or a gimmick. $$Ka-CHING$$

Bookyanka Bookyanka OP

In response to “All you need is a pretty face, big ****, or a...

Roker had all three - before he lost all that weight!

Budwick Budwick

A degree isn't required to be a broadcast weatherman.

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “A degree isn't required to be a broadcast...

Obviously, As long as they bring in the advertising dollars.

Bookyanka Bookyanka OP

No, I didn't know that. I wouldn't have assumed that most TV weathercasters did meet all the qualifications to "technically" call themselves a meteorologist. What, does he call himself one, or something?

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “No, I didn't know that. I wouldn't have...

As I stated above, this is not an assault on Al Roker. It deals with trust on television. It deals with what TV wants people to believe. I don't know what Al Roker calls himself. NBC though, has anointed marketed him as a weather guru and cashes in on his weather forecast delivery.
FOX calls Janice Dean "the weather machine". She doesn't have a degree either.
"Meteorologist" Jim Cantore, however, has a Bachelor of Meteorology degree from Lyndon State University.

Bookyanka Bookyanka OP

In response to “As I stated above, this is not an assault on...

Oh, I see. I didn't notice anyone saying or implying that it was, but okay. It's good to know that you don't consider calling a man "effeminate" to be derogatory, like so many people do.

I don't know what Al Roker calls himself either, since I've rarely watched that network's news and weather. I watch the local news for weather reports, usually, and my favorite weathercaster does happen to be an actual meteorologist.

Yes, of course television networks care about ratings and cash.....

Piper2 Piper2

Considering it's a job that being right 50% of the time an acceptable rate of success, I am not surprised. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In Japan if you got the weather wrong you didn't get paid. I wonder if they still do that?
Roker would not be my first choice for weather anyway.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

Let me guess. Cuticle macrame?

Freeranger Freeranger