Mod Team
You know what's actually disrespectful to the American flag? The confederate flag and statues of confederate generals.  Kneeling? - that's actually <em><b>always</b></em> been a sign of deep respect.

VicZincDWFTomboyJanetSunny_the_skepticChris_PHAET_DemonTiffaneeCarlaCarmoMashaTrishBub

HowlerSukiesnowThinkerbellhootowl

Piper2TiffaneeSukiesnowCarlaBub
You know what's actually disrespectful to the American flag? The confederate flag and statues of confederate generals. Kneeling? - that's actually always been a sign of deep respect.

South Park had a brilliant solution to this “issue”. Before the national anthem it should be announced “now everyone, please stand, sit, or kneel for the national anthem”. Problem solved.

Logan Logan

I can't believe people are getting riled up about the proper way to pose during a song

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

Kneeling should be a proper position, I think it's even more respectful than standing, I really dont get the problem. Why is a respectful position being criticized?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Taking a knee is a good way to protest. Certainly better than marching with tiki torches and chanting "Jews will not replace us!"

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “Taking a knee is a good way to protest...

Trump thinks those people are "fine" people. Geez.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Trump thinks those people are "fine"...

John Cleese explains the "Dunning-Kruger" effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU

Trump in a nut shell.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “John Cleese explains the...

Ha, he hit the nail on the head with that one. I've said all along how stupid Trumpo is....lol Now we have proof.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Ha, he hit the nail on the head with that...

Right? It explains everything. The man is too stupid to understand just how stupid he is. (loser)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “Right? It explains everything. The man is...

What's sad, is the moron thinks he's smart. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “What's sad, is the moron thinks he's smart...

That comes from an undeserved and unearned sense of entitlement which is not uncommon among those who owe their success to inherited wealth.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “That comes from an undeserved and unearned...

Exactly. He has no idea how the common people live....

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Exactly. He has no idea how the common...

And no sense of responsibility or accountability when it comes to his words and actions.

He's a delusional, egotistical, spoiled man-child who throws a tantrum when things don't go his way.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “And no sense of responsibility or...

You said it all.... and I just saw on TV him bragging about what a great job he's doing helping those in Puerto Rico.... and the governor down there says just the opposite, Trump lies and doesn't realize everything he says can be proved just the opposite. I seriously think he is in the first stages of dementia. He lies so much he can't remember what lie he told 5 minutes ago.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “You said it all.... and I just saw on TV him...

This behavior is nothing new. He's run his entire life like this since the vile and despicable Roy Cohn first took Trump under his wing in the early 80's.

Interesting reading; https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06...n.html?mcubz=0

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “This behavior is nothing new. He's run his...

Wow, thanks for the info. Looks like Trump laid down with a dog and got up with fleas. I don't remember Cohn, but if Trump had any morals way back then, he wouldn't have listened to that guy. But the past is past, now we have to contend with this incompetent jerk, who is ruining America.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Logan Logan

None of this would be happening if Trump had kept his yap closed. Now most of the NFL teams are objecting to him, not the flag, but to the president.

Oh, by the way, our minister asked all of us to kneel in prayer this morning....I guess Trump would have objected to that as well, just saying.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “None of this would be happening if Trump had...

It's been going on since the beginning of the season, way before Trump opened his mouth.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “It's been going on since the beginning of the...

Nothing like what has happened today. They are all standing solid now against Trump because of what he has said. That's a fact, believe what you want, but Trump is causing this problem.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Nothing like what has happened today. They...

Players were kneeling last week and the week before.

Today was just a nightmare, some kneeling, some standing and the Steelers didn't come out during the anthem.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Players were kneeling last week and the week...

Yes, just a few were in the weeks past, and if Trump hadn't said anything, none of what occurred today would not have happened. Today they were all standing together, whether they were kneeling or standing. And it was all because of what Trump said, even called them SOBs. What kind of a president does that, I'll answer that. A stupid, hateful man like Trump, who doesn't care about the people he's supposed to govern.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Apparently the gist of this post is to try and discern from a particular ideo-political worldview as to what is and is not respect/disrespect for the American flag in our current state of American, ideo-political upheaval.

Certainly kneeling has traditionally been one way of respect and reverence toward something and/or someone, possibly even submissive in some instances.
However, the current NFL kneeling trend (even being copied by some youth football squads) is displayed as an expression of American dissent, and particularly now as a result of the Trump presidency.

My observation with this posting is that a valid argument is trying to be rationalized that the American flag is justifiably not worth traditionally, peacefully showing respect for - even for a couple of minutes of standing.
Yet it is worth removing historical statues/renaming parks when America, through its electoral college system elected a populist, semi-conservative, politically incorrect populist to replace eight years of a politically-correct, left-leaning, Progressive, Alinsky-ite with eloquent, yet misleading speech, a pen, and a phone who is currently loving every minute of the continuance of his leftist vision of the "fundamental-transformation of the United States of America".

If kneeling is a respectful expression as is iconic, American statue removal, it will be interesting to see the argument on this historic, American display -

Howler Howler

Donald wouldn't kneel to the head of Saudi Arabia...which shows then that he has no respect.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

What is the matter with that? Like...how or why does it bother you?

In Canada there is the partie Québécois....they are for seceding from Canada... Why is something like that threatening?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “What is the matter with that? Like...how or...

The French twigs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “The French twigs aren't going anywhere...

Isn't calling them "twigs" a bad thing? Marky.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “Isn't calling them "twigs" a bad...

Nope ... could've called then frogs or peppers.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Nope ... could've called then frogs or peppers.

What do they call people like us?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “What do //they// call people like us?

English pea soup. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “English pea soup. (hehe)

I don't get it. We'r'e not green.

I'll bet they have a whole array of names for us...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “I don't get it. We'r'e not green. I'll bet...

I'm sure they do as we do for them. lol

SynysterGates SynysterGates

A flag is a symbol, nothing more. What a flag symbolizes varies with the individual, and clearly all Americans do not agree with what either the US or the Confederate battle flag signify. Per usual, I'll piss everyone off by stating my opinion that there is little difference between the two - save one, that being that one represented winners in a particular war, while the other was flown by those who lost their war. Both wars were fought for independence...for some. Both were fought in defiance of those whose rule they wished freedom from. Both were instigated by slave owners who intended to remain slave owners, yet the vast majority represented in both wars did not own slaves at all.

There's an old saw that history is written by the victors. There is truth to that, but more importantly, history is made by the victors creating a new paradigm. Had the founders lost the Revolutionary War, they would have been hanged as the traitors they, in point of fact, were. But they did win, and so are now revered for doing so, as well as for subsequently penning a document, also revered by many yet today, which counted slaves as 3/5s of a human and did so only for the political benefit of their owners.

Everything looks different from the other side of the chessboard. A "traitor" becomes a "freedom fighter", and vice versa, when you look at the game from the opponent's viewpoint. Winning doesn't automatically make everyone on the winning side "good", nor does losing automatically make all on the losing side "bad".

The Confederate battle flag symbolizes slavery to many, rebellion and the right to be free from oppressive government to others. The same can easily, and factually, apply to the US flag. Personally, I recognize the truth - good, bad, and ugly - in the history of both.

Tearing down statues and banning a flag does what, exactly? Should we dismantle all such reminders of slavery? Should we tear down the WH and Capitol Building, UofV, and all the other monuments and state houses built using slave labor? I would suggest that if those who were enslaved here could communicate to us, they would wish we focus on ending the institution that enslaves millions yet today around the world. That would create a powerful, living, breathing legacy to honor them to which no statue or flag could compare.

As far as the controversy over professional athletes kneeling vs. standing during the national anthem...some see it as disrespectful to our flag, our country, and our veterans. Some feel it is simply a personal expression in non-violent protest. Setting aside employer-employee arguments (which may yet come into play) and the fact that the government paid the NFL to stage such "patriotic" displays beginning back in 2009...doing so may be seen as disrespectful, or as an effective means of protest, depending upon one's personal opinion. Those who feel it disrespectful are free to counter-protest by boycotting the NFL and/or their sponsors, and many are claiming they'll do just that.

Like it or not, these protests are the very embodiment of what our flag supposedly stands for...freedom. Our "freedoms" are slowly but surely being infringed out of existence. Don't give up another one because you disagree with the protest/protestors, or out of a misguided sense of patriotism.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

In response to “A flag is a symbol, nothing more. //What// a...

Very well said, Boz!! As usual! (smirk2)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Very well said, Boz!! As usual! (smirk2)

Thanks, Will. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Thanks, Will. :)

Sorry about the Lions last yesterday. I think they got screwed on that last play. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Sorry about the Lions last yesterday. I...

I heard there was a controversial TD reversal, but I didn't get to see it. Hoping to find a way to stream them soon!

Bozette Bozette

Take a kneeeee, Mr. Z
Take a kneeeeeeee!

fuzala fuzala

I don't really care. Perhaps just one more thing for people to **** and complain about something. Worst case scenario an attempt to rewrite history...

DW2 DW2

"Kneeling? - that's actually always been a sign of deep respect."

Oh, Really? I'm lucky to have you to explain these things, Vic. I learn something new every day.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “"Kneeling? - that's actually //always//...

Those kneeling are being forced to show respect for their captors. Ball player are not forced. However some would like to force them to stand out of respect.

You can't force someone to respect you but you can force them into a postural position.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “Those kneeling are being forced to show...

Ergo, kneeling is not always a sign of deep respect.

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Ergo, kneeling is not //always// a sign of...

You win. You are so much smarter than me. I kneel before you in deep respect of your superior intellect.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “You win. You are so much smarter than me. I...

You don't have to kneel, Vic, just try to mend your muddleheaded ways.

After all, isn't that what a good communalist should strive to do? (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

Statues and the Confederate Flag is our history.Deep respect is kneeling on two knees.

hootowl hootowl