Mod Team
Is it just a coincidence that Apple announced it's new phone will unlock using facial recognition only weeks after news broke that AI can now tell if someone is a criminal, or gay, by analyzing their FACE?

Just a coincidence

Nobody :(

No way that's a coincidence

Nobody :(

Other

TomboyJanetZonkeyBalls

ZonkeyBallsSynysterGates

Explained by Maze...

[DailyMail] The AI that can 'detect sexual orientation' with 91% accuracy: Images from controversial study reveal how it uses 'facial landmarks' to tell if you're GAY. [and if you go way down to the last paragraphs of the story] Last year, a controversial paper was released, which investigated whether a computer could detect if a human could be a criminal, by analysing their facial features. The researchers write: 'All four classifiers perform consistently well and produce evidence for the validity of automated face-induced inference on criminality, despite the historical controversy surrounding the topic. Also, we find some discriminating structural features for predicting criminality, such as lip curvature, eye inner corner distance, and the so-called nose-mouth angle.'

I'm sure it's related. AI is a budding technology, but it's evolving faster than some of us think.

As for "computerized gaydar", I find that fascinating and I wonder if a person's purported "gaydar" draws on some of the same facial features. I have sometimes been able to correctly guess a man was gay by noticing certain facial features associated with femininity: rounder face, fuller lips, etc. but I can't rule out other factors (body language, voice) playing a role. Judging it just from a photo alone requires a much narrower set of criteria. I would have to submit my own photo and see whether this Gaydar(tm) could correctly guess my homosexuality.

Logan Logan

We have had that tech for years.

We just can't use it, due to legal problems.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “We have had that tech for years. We just...

Who's "we"? The Finnish? (smile)

Maze Maze OP

In response to “Who's "we"? The Finnish? (smile)

Uhmm... Yes.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “Uhmm... Yes.

(maniac)

Maze Maze OP

Logan Logan

In response to “I'm sure it's related. AI is a budding...

I understand if you figure someone out by their tone, gestures, clothes (I imagine the actor who plays Cam in Modern Family) but facial features? Nah, it sounds childish - you have a round face and full lips AHA! You're gay!

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “hahahaha

Headline: Face-reading AI will soon detect your political beliefs and IQ, researcher behind controversial 'gaydar' software claims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/scie...eliefs-IQ.html

Yep, nothing to worry about there.

Maze Maze OP

Wonder how you tell a person they're gay by looking at their face, imagine the surprise for someone who's phone keeps telling them they're gay(biggrin)(biggrin)

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Wonder how you tell a person they're gay by...

I wonder if this means that facial surgery could change someone's sexual orientation?

OzSurfer OzSurfer

If I know corporations, they'll mainly use that info to serve ads. But if I know power, there's a dark side to it too. Manipulation depends on knowing the target, the better they know you, the better they can appeal to your sensibilities, and thus the better they can manipulate you. That's good for sales, but if they can use that knowledge to sell you products, they can also use it sell you ideas.

Now, you're a dedicated skeptic, so you're the type of person who'd see what I mean, but what about the gullible? Will they be sold by the novelty of being able to send talking **** emojis?

Maze Maze OP

In response to “If I know corporations, they'll mainly use...

Sure they will, if it's the new rad thing to do. It's the best new idea since the time when people were convinced to make accounts with their actual name, age and photo of themselves and location each time they log in.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

black boxes are built in to every car in America today to record your driving habits. Televisions can eavesdrop on your conversation and those same t.v.'s and lap tops with cameras can watch you in your living room. It is now legal for private citizens to fly their drone over you and your property and YOU will go to jail if you try to shoot one down.
The beat goes on.........

Freeranger Freeranger

when shits the fan
I fully expect to see cellphone addicted users laying all over the place

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer