SukiesnowOzSurferPhilboydStudgeTiffaneeBubBubTrishPartyOfOnehootowl

Nobody :)

PhilboydStudgeDarkest_SerenityTiffaneeOzSurferWill_JanitorSukiesnowRoosterBub

Explained by Sukiesnow...

It would be about the starving people in Biafra...you don't know how lucky you are...or the "when I was young I had to walk 4 miles...etc" argument... whichever fit whatever you were complaining about... (MOM! Is this what we're having for dessert? You KNOW I don't like it...)

It was the starving people in India for me.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Never heard about the starving foreigners argument when I was a kid. Got the stories from my parents about growing up in the depression on farms in Western Kansas. Some families gave away children because they couldn't feed them. My Mom was all but sold to a store in town for a year to work for money that all went to her family when she was 13. She was the oldest girl so they made her quit school after the 8th grade to work in the fields and help with family. (She always felt bad for not being allowed to get an education, while her younger siblings were eventually sent to college.)

JustJimColo JustJimColo

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Yes I got that but I think the biggest shock was discovering people were starving where I live. My first experience of seeing people living under bridges and things like that was a major eye-opener for me.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Yes I got that but I think the biggest shock...

People should take their kids...probably around the age of 10...around to see these places....

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

It's the same area of the world decade after decade...

Bub Bub

We give millions and millions to these countries and each year they come back and want more...where does the money go, it can't be to these kids as they send the same pictures year after year....with the money they get, they should be living better than us....

JD JD

No, I always got the "Kids are starving in China" routine. Still didn't work to make me eat liver or beets! YUK!

Rooster Rooster

....and when I got older, my thoughts ranged around the thought that...lets cap the pieces of shizz who do this to their people and lend a humane leader a hand....

Freeranger Freeranger

I used to tell my parents,they could send what I don't eat to them.

hootowl hootowl