Mod Team
In politics mounting anger should be addressed first... <em>amirite</em>?

BubSynysterGatesTiffaneeCarlaPhilboydStudgeTrish

Nobody :)

PhilboydStudgeTiffaneeSukiesnowCarla
In politics mounting anger should be addressed first... amirite?

Yes....among other things.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

That or plain stupidity ... you know, like our PM.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “That or plain stupidity ... you know, like our PM.

I'm glad you are in Ottawa and not me. Canadian politics bores me to friggin' tears.

Bub Bub OP

In response to “I'm glad you are in Ottawa and not me...

Yup. I've never seen people who can't make a freaking proper decision. The ones that are doers are the ones that I get along with, the rest should all be fired.

I found out that there are 145,000 people in Ottawa working for the Feds.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Yes....among other things.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

Yes.
Control of ones temper should be paramount.
I think all political candidates should have proper phsycological evaluations. Especially those that may have the "code".
We shouldnt have to be concerned with a potus that likes to play, **** for tat.

Carla Carla

In response to “Yes. Control of ones temper should be...

Yup. Let's start with tests to see if the folks running to be our leaders are qualified to serve...

Bub Bub OP

In response to “Yup. Let's start with tests to see if the...

Then you get into the whole thing of who writes the tests and who determines what "qualified" means. When that happens, you can just eliminate elections altogether and turn it over to a committee, or the politburo.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Then you get into the whole thing of who...

Well, what would YOU suggest?
Can't some consensus be arrived at before we get Kid Rock running a state? Or Oprah?

What if amateurs ran the military?

Bub Bub OP

In response to “Well, what would YOU suggest? Can't //some//...

The military is not a democracy. We don't elect generals, or any of our military leaders. We elect politicians who select the generals. (We've had some great generals and we've had some really bad generals as well) The biggest difference between generals and politicians is that generals have 20 years+ experience in the military before they are selected to be general officers.

We already have a list of celebrities who have been elected. Some good, some not so good. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, Sonny Bono, Ronald Reagan, Jesse Ventura, and others. We've already got a boatload of unqualified nut cases in office who many of us would probably agree have zero qualifications to be there, but then, do I or you or anyone else have a right to say people can't vote for them?
I don't have a solution for a better way to get the "right" people in office Bub, so I'd just have to say we stick with letting the people decide, be it good or bad.
How much difference is there between a Kid Rock and a Jesse Ventura? I doubt if you or I would vote for either one but then. You or I may not see that much of difference between that, or a Clinton/Trump option.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “The military is not a democracy. We don't...

Well said, Jim. (y)
Right now I'm wondering if the way leadership is decided in Russia or China, for example, is the way to go.

Bub Bub OP

Yes, jim. What do you suggest? They have testing for law enforcement. Not always accurate, but it's something.

Carla Carla

In response to “Yes, jim. What do you suggest? They have...

Academic testing for a job (Like law enforcement), while good, is still a tainted system made to give some an unfair advantage. These tests are generally not for the job, but just to be admitted to the various police academies. If these tests were standardized and the results all based on the same criteria, it would be fair, but it isn't.
Do you know that if you and I took the same test and answered the same number of questions correctly, we wouldn't get the same score? I would be able to add 5 points to my score because I am a Vet. You get to add 5 points to your score because you are a woman. if you are a minority, you get to add 5 more points. If you come from a low income area, you may get to add 5 more points. If you speak Spanish, add 5 more. And the list goes on. Do you recognize who will never get those "extra" bonus points? (The same "point" system is also used in applying for government jobs)

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Academic testing for a job (Like law...

That isnt the psychological testing, though. Even if it only scratches the surface, sometimes that is all that needs be done to uncover instability.

Carla Carla

Here, the only qualifications one needs to become president is meeting the age limit and being born here.
Pretty low standards.

Carla Carla

In response to “Here, the only qualifications one needs to...

Correct, and we seem to have hit the bottom rung on that ladder.

Linnster Linnster

More like no standards if Trump can be president.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

If you were billionaire, would you really even want the job Carla? If you were happy, and successful in the private sector, why would many of the people who we might feel would be great leaders, " want" the job? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Like Trump or hate Trump, there are others out there who we may like to see as our leaders, and they look at the office and all that comes with it, and say, "Oh, hell NO"!

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “If you were billionaire, would you really...

If i was a narcissist, thought i could do anything, thought i was more intellegent than most, had unlimited funds, time on my hands, and a thirst for an audience, i would.
There are people out there, who have spent thier entire lives in service to this country and her citizens. Those are the folks, agree with thier political leanings or no, that i am comfortable with.
Old billionaires with no public service experience who wish to become potus, should be highly suspected.

Carla Carla

In response to “If i was a narcissist, thought i could do...

Carla.... anyone willing to spend a billion dollars of other peoples money for a job that pays 400K a year should also be suspect. Nobody writes a million dollar check for a contribution without expecting something in return.
I for one, don't trust ANYONE in political office to do what is best only for the country.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Carla.... anyone willing to spend a billion...

I also dont believe any one politician is selfless.

Carla Carla

Well, we wanted to make sure that even a community organizer could run so, ....

Budwick Budwick

Yes. Every politician should be required to show his tax returns. Plus, every president (Trump especially) should see a neurologist to make sure he is mentally capable of being president Another test Trump would have failed.

We would not have Trump as president if those had been the requirements.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Yes. Every politician should be required to...

Why?

What shocking news do you think is tucked away in his tax return that would change everything?

Budwick Budwick

One of my country's biggest problems is the hatred that exists between many of its citizens. All I can think to do is avoid partaking in the melee as best I can.. but I am human too. I'll occasionally get butt hurt and respond in kind.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge