Mod Team

BudwickQuiz_TimeWill_JanitorPhilboydStudgeDandyDonozzyboybeachbumHowlerFrankRubinger

Nobody :)

DW2DandyDonWill_JanitorMarianneSynysterGatesQuiz_Time
My, oh my - How things have changed in 21 years!

Explained by Budwick...

Just 21 years ago, Bill Clinton was president. Back then it was the Chinese blamed for trying to influence American politics. Bill Clinton introduced welfare reform and was not cited for trying to starve children or kill old people. The NBA's longstanding rule for team conduct states that players, coaches, and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the national anthem. Citing its rule, former NBA commissioner David Stern suspended former LSU and star Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (Chris Jackson) in 1996 for sitting down during the national anthem when he played for the Denver Nuggets. Abdul-Rauf suspension was lifted after one day when he agreed to stand during the anthem but pray silently in his hands. Different circumstances, different sport, but same controversy. But the progressive left hadn't gotten around to influencing public thought on things like marriage, sexual identity or patriotism. The masses are a bunch of puppets.

Influencing public thought?
If it is the left raising awareness, those that listen and agree are puppets?
If the right influences public thought, the people who listen and agree are what?

Carla Carla

I just find it endlessly entertaining that this is the BIGGEST ISSUE right now in our country. I really, truly, honestly, from the bottom of my heart, couldn't. care. less. I care about what Hillary Clinton is up to right now more than I care about "kneegate". It is such an obvious distraction and the fact that people are actually buying into it makes me want to laugh out loud and chortle.

The fact is, the masses care about what they're told to care about. They're like grass; they sway with the direction of the wind. No one was making a protest statement with it back in the 90s. They are now. That's why an issue. Protesting is a first amendment right, but it's a right that enrages us when the people protesting are not on our side.

Logan Logan

In response to “I just find it endlessly entertaining that...

The left has taught you well!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “The left has taught you well!

Is it too much to ask you to have an independent thought for once, Budwick?

Who am I kidding? I know it's too much.

Logan Logan

In response to “Is it too much to ask you to have an...

I often stand alone Logan.
I always stand for America.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I often stand alone Logan. I always stand...

So will I. That includes standing for the American virtue of free expression :)

Logan Logan

In response to “So will I. That includes standing for the...

Me too!

I was expressing my dissatisfaction with the attitude of so many that patriotism is important. That there's a time and place for spoiled NFL players to express their faux oppression.

It's unfortunate that so many of the left have allowed themselves to be coerced into compliance.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Me too! I was expressing my dissatisfaction...

And it's unfortunate that so many of the right have allowed themselves to believe a lying, corrupt president, sad and shameful.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “And it's unfortunate that so many of the...

Honoring the national anthem, the country is not corrupt or shameful.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Honoring the national anthem, the country is...

No one is dishonoring our country, except Trump. And you know it.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “No one is dishonoring our country, except...

Every athlete kneeling during the anthem dishonors the country.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Every athlete kneeling during the anthem...

I kneel when I pray, am I dishonoring God?

I find it strange that you never defend Trump....but I understand why. Everything I've said about him is true. He's the only one dishonoring our country everytimg he opens is mouth.

End of conversation, I won't waste any more of my time talking to someone who has a closed mind. Enjoy your day.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I kneel when I pray, am I dishonoring God? I...

Honoring God and America are two different things done in different ways.

You really sound foolish trying to make it sound that players are actually adding extra honor by kneeling.

Trump wasn't the topic - despite your continual attempts to derail the conversation - I refused to take the bait. Deal with it.

Budwick Budwick OP

You don't stand alone...millions stand with you, to include God! :-)

Quiz_Time Quiz_Time

In response to “You don't stand alone...millions stand with...

Thanks Quiz!

And thank you God!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Thanks Quiz! And thank you God!

You're welcome. :-):-)

Quiz_Time Quiz_Time

Influencing public thought?

Carla Carla

In response to “Influencing public thought? If it is the left...

If the left does it = bad

If the right does it = good

Budwick's entire philosophy delineated in the simplest possible manner.

Logan Logan

In response to “If the left does it = bad If the right does...

He's one that if Trump stood in Times Square and killed someone, he would think it was OK. Sad.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “He's one that if Trump stood in Times Square...

Really Starz? You think this crap is about Trump? You believe that kneeling during the anthem is disrespect for Trump?

For as long as I have lived, everyone stood and placed their hand over their heart for the national anthem. I did that in grade school for Pete's sake.

It's respect for the flag, the country, our history, the men and women that fought and dies for the country.

Your comment is demeaning to yourself Starz. (no)

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Really Starz? You think this crap is about...

And your comment is demeaning to me. It is exactly about Trump and you know it. He didn't say much when the first football player kneed and now all of a sudden to divert the conversation from his other failures, like the health care bill, his loss in Alabama, the Russian investigation, and whatever the loser chooses to divert, he does nothing all week except diss the NFL.

Those players weren't disrespecting the flag or the anthem, and everyone knows it, even Trump. They were protesting the injustice that is being done in ourcountry.

You seem to forget we have freedom in this country. I stand when the anthem is played, I put my hand on my as well. My emotions run down my face during a parade when the flag goes by....but That's my choice, and everyone should have their choice as well, whether you agree or not.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “And your comment is demeaning to me. It is...

You are wrong Starz. The players may be protesting how they are so oppressed, but doing by kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful to the country.

The whole point of this post is to point out how feelings toward something like this have changed. You are driving that point home very well - thank you.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “You are wrong Starz. The players may be...

I will wager, well everything, that when you sit down to watch a game in your living room, when the anthem is played, you remain seated on your easy chair.

Carla Carla

In response to “I will wager, well everything, that when you...

I won't be watching.
PS - The players are actually there Carla.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I won't be watching. PS - The players are...

So. The anthem is being played. You were part of the process by tuning in. If you didnt stand, you are as unpatriotic as you claim the protesters are.

Carla Carla

In response to “So. The anthem is being played. You were part...

Standing in front of the television is not the issue Carla. We're in the real world here.

PS - U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

(b) 1C
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;

You thought that one out good!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Standing in front of the television is not...

And when was that written?

Carla Carla

Raising awareness? Of what? That football players disrespect America on a wholesale basis?

In answer to your question - when the right raises awareness it called racism, bigotry, xenophobia, deplorable.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Raising awareness? Of what? That football...

That is often what it is.

Carla Carla

In response to “That is often what it is.

I rest my case.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I rest my case.

I hope it sleeps well..

Carla Carla

In response to “I hope it sleeps well..

Knowing America's military is on the job protecting you and me helps me sleep like a baby.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Knowing America's military is on the job...

What branch did you serve, bud?

Carla Carla

In response to “What branch did you serve, bud?

Army

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Army

Ahhh....
Well, freedom is what you and i served to protect.
That is exactly what these people are exercising.

Carla Carla

In response to “Ahhh.... Well, freedom is what you and i...

That's your big 'gotcha'?
Of course they have freedoms. I think they are exercising their freedoms in a totally incorrect place and manner. That's what this is all about!

Protest their alleged oppression on their own time. Not during the national anthem which dishonors the very place that gives them their freedom.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “That's your big 'gotcha'? Of course they have...

I dont play the gotcha game, bud.
That's your game.
They are using the biggest platform accessible to them. I see taking a knee as a sign of respect, while at the same time silently speaking.

Carla Carla

In response to “I dont play the gotcha game, bud. That's your...

Then what was the branch of service crap all about?

I see taking a knee as disrespect of country.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Then what was the branch of service crap all...

I was just curious.
Seems you would be far more open to using freedom of expression if you served to protect such freedoms.

Carla Carla

In response to “I was just curious. Seems you would be far...

Carla, I've mentioned a number of times that I have no problem with the athletes freedoms, yours or mine.

What I've said repeatedly is that they have chosen the wrong place and time to express those freedoms.

I know you are smart woman - I know you understand what that means. There's a few others here that believe those words mean that I support Trump even if he killed someone in cold blood. I don't think you believe anything so ... foolish. But saying that I respect their freedom does not mean that I do NOT respect their freedom. Certainly you can see the difference.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Carla, I've mentioned a number of times that...

People who have something important to say, but are generally ignored, find ways to be heard.
Guess what they are doing is generating conversation.
It is too bad that so many are confusing the message.

Carla Carla

In response to “People who have something important to say...

NFL athletes are generally ignored? What planet is that?

Other athletes use their fame in more constructive ways. Go out in the community or schools to deliver inspirational messages, encourage kids to stay in school, etc. They are not ignored and when they do stuff like this in fact it usually gets a lot of press.

It's too bad they chose to deliver such a confusing message - and even though it is now known to set so many people off - continue to do it!

Budwick Budwick OP

Dissing the NFL when people are starving in Puerto Rico and Trump does nothing about it until 8 days later and only then because the press as been reporting it. He should have waived the Jones Act a week ago and all of this would have been prevented, but instead he has been tweeting about football players not honoring the flag, the anthem and the military. But yet he chooses to diss John McCain for being a prisoner of war, and that he was no hero. And Trump had 5 deferments to get out of serving the flag, the anthem and the military..... he has no room ever to talk about the NFL, ever.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Dissing the NFL when people are starving in...

Trump is able to multi-task. Puerto Rico would still be devastated regardless of what comments Trump made. Nice attempt to deflect MY topic.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Trump is able to multi-task. Puerto Rico...

All Trump knows how to do is tweet and diss people he doesn't like. Multi-task, the man doesn't know the meaning of the word.

I'm not talking about what Trump has said, I'm talking about his inactive responses to Puerto Ricans in desperate need to survive. He should have acted long ago. He took care of Houston and Florida, but not Puerto Rico. Someone should explain to him that they are Americans too.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “All Trump knows how to do is tweet and diss...

And this post is about how the left supports disrespect of the country.

Again - you are proving my point - and for some reason you hare having trouble sticking to the point.

You might consider posting your complaint on your own post!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “And this post is about how the left supports...

I know the truth has always hurt you, I was hoping you had grown up somewhat, but I see you will never change. I thought this was an opinion side, and I've just been told by a mod to get off his post. Whatever happened to freedom of speech.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I know the truth has always hurt you, I was...

I hope you are on your knees while you whine.

I've asked you to stay on point. You are welcome here. I've NEVER blocked you!

Budwick Budwick OP

MY RANT: Okay I've been wanting to say this for awhile now.

I will us Canada as an example.

Canada isn't any different than the Americans.
We honor our flag singing OH Canada (our national anthem) before Hockey, football and baseball games.

"The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee. "

When I was in grade school, I stood with my right hand on my chest and sung Oh Canada every morning ... all the way to high school.

Our anthem, our flag, and our military ... standing proud to honor our country and the Canadians who served our military.

However Football, baseball, hockey are an entertainment and should NEVER have our anthem and flag associated with these sports or any sports for that matter.

If Canada would decide to do away with the anthem ...which I highly recommend they do, issues like kneeling, sitting down instead of standing would NEVER be an issue again.

If we have to move historical statues in Ottawa because some people find it offensive and racist ... then I think we ( Canada ) can do away with the anthem when it comes to sports.

Something to think about neighbors

JMO ... but think about it.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “MY RANT: Okay I've been wanting to say this...

Thank you Gates, intelligent comments. And I agree with everything you've said. If the OP here is so against the NFL and what they are doing, then he should NOT watch football ever again. You think?

I was just asked if I was on my knees while I whined..... since when is giving an honest opinion whining. And that coming from a mod who should know better. Maybe he should go back to Mod School and learn how to treat people appropriately, instead of picking fights.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Thank you Gates, intelligent comments. And I...

I won't be watching football.

You were whining about something off topic when I called you on it.

I'm a mod - BFD - A member just like you. No better, no worse.

I believe it has been you picking fights my dear.

Budwick Budwick OP

I mean no disrespect Synyster, but America is a patriotic country and we’re different from the rest of the world in that respect. It's part of that whole American exceptionalism thing. It's real. I think Canada is great too! I'm sure you do too - but where you could consider canning a 100 year old tradition of playing the anthem at ball games ain't gonna happen. At least, not without a fight.

The song is about a battle in the War of 1812. The first documented time that it was played at an American sporting event came at a baseball game in 1862, during the Civil War. The tradition of playing it at sports events got a dramatic boost at the 1918 World Series, during World War I. And the tradition of playing it before games was popularized during World War II.

Francis Scott Key wrote the song in 1814 and it became the nation’s de facto anthem not long after. Congress made it official in 1931. World War I vets had been lobbying for it for years.

I suggestion to ditch the anthem in favor of some made up oppression story doesn't solve a problem, it merely sweeps it under a rug somewhere.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I mean no disrespect Synyster, but America is...

I understand Bud ... Canadians, maybe not me, are very patriotic and love everything about our national anthem and our flag. You get caught sitting during an anthem at a hockey game and your in big trouble.

It is just my opinion, I know ditching the anthem isn't going to solve the issue, but neither is removing all statues that offends people regarding racism. That's just an example.

The teams hire players, pay them millions to play football. Not to talk about politics, not to enforce them to kneel, stand or sit, but simply to play football and help the team win games.

Should they be disrespectful by kneeling down,standing or sitting during the national anthem .. absolutely NOT.
Are they ****...YES, but that's not why they get paid millions for.

Also, have you seen the type of players they have playing in the NFL? Its' not like the olden days, Maybe they should do more background checks.

My opinion: Should they stand during the anthem? Yes if they had class and honor they should.

Even the rules .... say they should...NOT they have too.

See the rules below.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “I understand Bud ... Canadians, maybe not me...

I wasn't aware there was already a rule.

I knew we were basically on the same page. You're an honorable guy.

I don't know how this will shake out. I don't think it's going to end well for football. I think it hurts the country. It think it hurts what ever cause these guys think they are bringing awareness to. There's no upside. Well, except that everyone knows Kapernick's name now.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I wasn't aware there was already a rule. I...

I don't know how it's going to play out either.

I'm a big NFL fan and have been since I was 12 years old. I Played for years up to semi-pro, I coached my son two years ago and will do it again next year.

I hate what's going on right now. I wish Trump would've never said those comments. Everything has now changed.

I feel for you Americans ... it's been a bad 2017.

God bless you all.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “I don't know how it's going to play out...

Trump could have chosen better words. But the fact is no matter what he does or would have done, the media would find a way to twist it and say it was too late, too soon, too strong, not strong enough. They hate him.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Trump could have chosen better words. But...

I agree, the media takes all his tweets and comments and twists them to make him look bad.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

You had some good thoughts there that I agreed with and one paragraph I wanted to comment on.
"Should they be disrespectful by kneeling down,standing or sitting during the national anthem .. absolutely NOT.
Are they ****...YES, but that's not why they get paid millions for."
Football is not a game. It's a business. It's entertainment and nothing more. What's the most important thing in business? Protect and promote the "Brand". You see the same thing with other brands, like Disney, and others. Owners have rules to protect the brand and their financial interests. Employees, do not have the right to tarnish that brand. (By any behavior)

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “You had some good thoughts there that I...

You see that's exactly what I wanted to get through in my comment.

You can't expect a player that came say from the ghetto with possibly several misdemeanors to be the poster boy, to respect the countries anthem, because he plays in the NFL making millions. BUT ,,,you can expect as a receiver, making millions ... he better catch that ball .. because that's why he's paid millions, it's to make those big plays.

People need to separate their emotions with these players.

That being said: They are **** and totally disrespectful.

I just wish people would stop bringing up the fact that they make millions so they should respect the anthem by standing.

Again totally disrespectful YES ... **** ... Yes

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Made up oppression story? which one, the one about how you right wingers are oppressed by having to face the reality of the baked in inequity of our society?

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Made up oppression story? which one, the one...

No, not those bogus inequities. I'm talking about the bogus inequities the NFL kneelers say their disrespect for America is all about.

It's all that BLM crap, the lies that the Trayvon Martin protests were built on, 'hands up don't shoot' baloney.

I know you don't believe in truth, so this might be hard to understand - but when they build a movement on lies - it won't stand.

I know police officers aren't perfect. I know there are examples of brutal police behavior. And, since that's all media plays - I understand how people that do believe in truth could believe it's common place.
But it's not.

Budwick Budwick OP

Memories get very short in politics. Both ways.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Memories get very short in politics. Both ways.

The one comment that is most true. :)

DW2 DW2

I agree that our memories are short and selective.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

a wife, a widow wrote what I could not
Taya Kyle

Dear NFL,

You were doing your part to bring people together and heal the world. That’s really how healing works. We heal by loving each other and leading by example; showing people what is possible when we love each other just as we are and not only recognize our differences but celebrate them and look at how we can use them together to make us jointly better than our separate parts. You were doing your part celebrating each other based on skills, talent and a joint vision without regard to color and religion.

You were doing your part and we were doing ours. We showed up cheering and groaning together to as one. We talked in the concession lines and commiserated and celebrated our team together. Did it ever occur to you that you and we were already a mix of backgrounds, races and religions? We were already living the dream you want, right in front of you.

Your desire to focus on division and anger has shattered what many people loved most about the sport. Football was really a metaphor for our ideal world –different backgrounds, talents, political beliefs and histories as one big team with one big goal - to do well, to win, TOGETHER.

You are asking us to abandon what we loved about togetherness and make choices of division. Will we stand with you? Will we stand with our flag? What does it mean? What does it mean if we buy a ticket or NFL gear? What does it mean if we don’t? It is the polar opposite of the easy togetherness we once loved in football.

It was simple – we loved you and you loved us – with all of our races, religions, different backgrounds and politics. Simplicity in a crazy world was pretty awesome.

You dear NFL, have taken that. You have lost me here.

If you ever want to get off your knees and get to work on building bridges, let me know. I have found screaming about the problems in service marriages or even standing in silence in front of them, hasn’t healed even one of them. On the other hand, funding the Chris Kyle Frog Foundation, building a team and rolling up my sleeves to get in the trenches during my “off time” -volunteering there outside of my paying jobs - has proven to make real change.

You have a lot of strong guys, I am sure in the off season a lot of them could build some pretty big bridges if they care enough to do the hard work. That would involve getting off their knees and getting to work though. I can do it while I raise two kids as their only parent and work through the greatest pain of my life, let’s see if they can do it for the issues they say they care so much about.

Go Longhorns and Sic ‘Em …

Sincerely,
Taya

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

Nice to see the effects of Trumps hand up your **** manifest itself so neatly into one post Budders

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “Nice to see the effects of Trumps hand up...

This all began with Kapernick - during the Obama regime.
I mentioned here then how disgusting I thought it was. Without any influence from Trump.

You mentioned in another post that the concept of patriotism escapes you. Don't embarrass yourself further. This is something you simply will never understand. And, that's OK - I couldn't possibly think any less of you because of it.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “This all began with Kapernick - during the...

I'm not embarrassed Budders. On the other hand, you might want to think about your inability to explain patriotism to someone and bury your head in shame.

I wonder if Trump does ventriloquism acts with his puppets.

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “I'm not embarrassed Budders. On the other...

Of course you're not embarrassed. Even people like yourself can get used to be being that way.

Your inability to understand far outweighs my ability to explain.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Of course you're not embarrassed. Even...

How can you make that claim when you haven't bothered to explain anything Budders? Its almost like you're ashamed and your ducking out.

And its kind of hard to be anything other than not embarrassed when faced with someone who can't explain his own views without having to look to his higher-ups for guidance.

Kind of reminds me how some birds regurgitate their meals for their young to eat.

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “How can you make that claim when you haven't...

Like I told you the first time around - part of patriotism is within American culture. So, get yourself born and raised in America. Then maybe you'll understand.

You can't learn or embrace and cherish American culture otherwise.

And, let's be honest - you don't give a shit about my explanation. Your real interest is in feeble attempts to try to shame me for my beliefs. Ain't gonna happen Sparky. Far better than you have tried - and failed.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Like I told you the first time around - part...

So why claim I'm embarrassed for not understanding when you won't even give me a chance to try?

And if you weren't ashamed of your beliefs, you'd be happy enough to explain them. Keep on telling yourself you aren't ashamed of them. Your actions speak louder than your words ever could.

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “So why claim I'm embarrassed for not...

Poor, POOR Brit!
Big, bad Budwick has made him a victim!
Let's all have a moment of hysterical tears .. shed for poor Brit.

OK,I'm good!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Poor, POOR Brit! Big, bad Budwick has made...

Poor poor Budders. Doesn't even have the braincells to explain his own views without being drip fed from othes

Lets all have a moment of hysterical laughter at his own delusional projections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k06QouAHyTQ

xD

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

All bs aside....the anthem and the flag are the most important things for any country...they come first whoever the leader is...you love and respect your country, that means total respect..you stand and salute the flag when it's flown and the anthem when it's played...disrespect is not acceptable....

JD JD