I'm really surprised that Game of Thrones has never been a topic on this site. What do you think about the show? Do you like it?

Yes

VicZincErasmusB_FurmanSmallSofiaTheCensoredBritZonkeyBalls

No

PhilboydStudgePartyOfOneRooster

Other

LoganDW2TiffaneeprimeiroSynysterGates

Darkest_Serenitydru18SofiaSukiesnowprimeiroSunny_the_skepticZonkeyBallsRoosterSynysterGatesDar

Sorry, not a fan of that show. Watched maybe two episodes and got bored with it! The one I liked best, they suddenly took off!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6z71l6HQwQ

Rooster Rooster

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Sorry, not a fan of that show. Watched maybe...

Haha Steve Buscemi, say no more :D

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “Haha Steve Buscemi, say no more :D

He was great in that show!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “He was great in that...

He's also one of the closest friends of Peter Dinklage who's a major character in GoT

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

Rooster,

I'm with you there about Boardwalk Empire. That was a DO NOT MISS show on my TV watching agenda when it was running. But I don't know why you say it was suddenly taken off, because it ran for five seasons.

I also liked the fact that it introduced many actors who were not very well-known at the time who went on to greater recognition after the show ended.

goblue1968 goblue1968

In response to “Rooster, I'm with you there about Boardwalk...

The reason I said that was because I had read that it wasn't getting that good of ratings, so the last season skipped about six years of history there. I thought it was great show.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “The reason I said that was because I had read...

Oh, thanks for the clarification.

goblue1968 goblue1968

Excellent show! I was disappointed when it ended.

Dar Dar

I've never seen it.

Budwick Budwick

I've been wanting to see that for awhile now. I'm a huge Walking Dead fan and Fear of the Walking Dead, so not sure I have time to get into another show.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “I've been wanting to see that for awhile now...

It's similar to the walking dead too form one aspect :D they have white walkers.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “It's similar to the walking dead too form one...

I heard it's a great show, just need to get into it.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I usually answer "other", in these cases, and throw in a silly, stupid joke.

Not this time. I'm a huge fan of the show. It's absolutely brilliant. The start is slow, yes, I give that to Rooster - it's alright to disagree on matters of personal taste - but the rest of it. Whoooeee! Dragons and shit. Well, mostly shit, but also dragons. It's absolutely, well, considering the amount of full frontal nudity (although Lena didn't do her own shots, but she used a body double for the walk scene) and other weird shit, that is becoming the new norm, well written and balanced.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “I usually answer "other", in these...

A basic description of the show is ****, dragon and killing

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “A basic description of the show is ****...

Yes, but there are other aspects, that are actually deeper than that. Betrayal, hesitation, learning who you are, friendship, brotherhood/sisterhood etc.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “Yes, but there are other aspects, that are...

It kinda teaches me that you will be screwed over if you're kind and honest, poor Ned got what he did because he was honorable.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “It kinda teaches me that you will be screwed...

I actually was totally gutted after the end of the first season and completely abandoned the whole series for five years. I couldn't stand it. Somehow, after I noticed, that the series were just carrying on and on and on, I decided to have a fresh view. So I watched the first season again. Then the second, the third, etc. Now, I'm completely hooked.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “I actually was totally gutted after the end...

I was hooked immediately, I had no idea what I was watching, I wanted to see some medieval series because I love such things and when I got the first taste of GoT I was mortified, sickened and hungry for more.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “I was hooked immediately, I had no idea what...

You gotta love a girl with dragons!

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

I liked it until it ran out of book material and the plots became more and more ridiculous. For me the fun was seeing books I loved come to life. But the book series is unfinished, so I knew after a point I’d no longer be interested.

Logan Logan

In response to “I liked it until it ran out of book material...

Ah, so you're from the fans that read the books, the true ones, I figured out that I might be unsatisfied if I compared the 2 so I didnt read the books. What works for books doesnt always work for TV

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

Logan: Seriously, for this one and only time, just for your convenience.

The books - any book or series of them, that has ever been made into a movie or series of movies - are always different from the depictions on film (no matter, what format, analog or digital). It's very difficult to properly compare these two styles of expression, written form leaves room for the imagination of the events, whereas film is always straight-forward in that sense, showing us the actions of the characters, whom we might have pictured in our minds to look like totally different than the actors and actresses. The angles are precise and chosen by the director. The script usually lacks some of the subtleties, that we love in the literature itself.

But, however... Taking off from that point is not a sin. Some may not like it, but I'm not here to judge. The freedom of expression, based on a Universe, in which things can go there, there or there... It's not always about the books themselves, but the premise that they offer us.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “Logan: //Seriously//, for this one and only...

And it didn't work for me. The first few seasons actually adapted the books fairly faithfully. But this was a unique situation where the material in the books necessarily had to run out because the series was unfinished. My purpose in watching the show was to see the books in TV form. That was not the purpose of everyone who enjoys the show. I am explaining why the TV show stopped appealing to me.

Logan Logan

In response to “And it didn't work for me. The first few...

It's alright, as I said. I'm not here to fight for my own stupid point of view - we can all live happily ever after. ;o)

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In my opinion trying to fit the books in several 55 min episodes is like trying to catch all the rain in your hat, you may try as much as you want but you will fail.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

I'm one of the 1% who have never watched it.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I'm one of the 1% who have never watched it.

It really takes a hard stomach to handle it.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “It really takes a hard stomach to handle it.

I'm not a fan of overly violent shows. It's one thing to allude to a violent event, but I don't want to see it in living color. That's the main reason I stopped watching Criminal Minds. Not only did the cases revolve around more and more violent acts, but they began showing them and that's not for me.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I'm not a fan of overly violent shows. It's...

In that case it's great that you don't watch GoT, some scenes will definitely leave your jaw dropped at least, if not also some intense heart rate.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “In that case it's great that you don't watch...

LOL ... my heart rate is already faster than it needs to be at times!

Linnster Linnster

In response to “LOL ... my heart rate is already faster than...

The others who watch will know this, but I wonder what would the reaction of people who havent watched GoT be if they watched a certain wedding of a certain pigment.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “The others who watch will know this, but I...

I have no idea, but I really don't care who marries whom - on TV or in real life.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I have no idea, but I really don't care who...

Haha alliances are made and lost in marriage!

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “Haha alliances are made and lost in marriage!

Yes, among certain clans, they are.

Linnster Linnster

Yeah, Criminal Minds is pretty hard to watch. I avoid it.
There is also a "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders" that somehow manages to be even more disturbing.

primeiro primeiro

In response to “Yeah, Criminal Minds is pretty hard to watch...

I watched one of the Beyond Borders episodes and decided that wasn't for me either.

Linnster Linnster

One of the only TV shows I watch religiously.

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “One of the only TV shows I watch religiously.

Well hello there brother, you are not alone.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

I think it is a tad overblown.

dru18 dru18

In response to “I think it is a tad overblown.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, but for real it's not for everyone's heart.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

It was a topic on here once...halfheartedly...no one is interested.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “It was a topic on here...

People seem a lot more interested now with more than 30 comments.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “People seem a lot more interested now with...

Yes...they are interested in affirming that it's a boring show.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

I've never watched the show, mainly because, as you said, it takes a hard stomach to handle it. However, I've read some of the books, and I enjoyed them. The author is a freaking genius. The characters seem to have all the complexity and imperfections of real humans. But the violence is pretty intense. Even just in the book, some of the violent descriptions are a bit too much for me. I don't think I could watch it on TV.

primeiro primeiro

In response to “I've never watched the show, mainly because...

George RR Martin is cool in the way that his characters are not simply good or evil, they're complex in the matter that they have things to protect and they're willing to go to different lengths for them be it honorable like poor old Eddard or cheating like CerceiTywin.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic OP

In response to “George RR Martin is cool in the way that his...

Yep. Exactly that.

What I also find awesome is how the drama never ends. Even if there is eventually a happy ending for one or other character, there isn't any foreseeable happy ending for the world that he created (I guess this is much like our real world). I mean, even if you are hoping for an end, realistically you can't. You just have to look at all the stories from the past to see that the drama seems to unfold for ever. Any time you check, be it 500 or 5000 years ago, there are always uncountable characters entangled in nets of complex situations.

Even if you identify with the current characters in the story's "present time" and are cheering for them to succeed, you can't help thinking that you would find equally relatable characters even if you go back thousands of years.

primeiro primeiro

Love Game of Thrones! The last two seasons were the best! Peter Dinklage is awesome!

Have you seen the The Station Agent? Or Rememory?

Dar Dar

I loved all the books and think RR Martin should share the fate of all his characters for not finishing the final book!

DW2 DW2