High School Teacher Gives Kids 'Shooting at Trump' as Option in Multiple-Choice Quiz. Should this teacher be fired?

BozetteWill_JanitorMazeazlottoZonkeyBalls

I've seen so many people flat out threaten to shoot the president that I'm surprised every jail in the USA isn't filled beyond capacity. In Canada, a few people made threats against the prime minister within this year, and they all got charged for it.

Normally, threatening the US president is something that is taken VERY seriously... why isn't the government taking it seriously now?

Whether you agree or disagree with Trump or Trudeau, threatening them, especially in public is one of the stupidest things you could say on the internet.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

Well, at least checked for sanity!

Budwick Budwick

Fired, no. Reprimanded, possibly. That would depend upon whether the school or the teacher decides where such curriculum content comes from...if the school, then it's on them. She still should be reviewing everything in advance, but in many schools today teacher's hands are tied by stupid policies.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Fired, no. Reprimanded, possibly. That...

Are you saying that it's ok for the sitting President (or really anyone) to have 'shooting' that person on a quiz?

beachbum beachbum

In response to “Are you saying that it's ok for the sitting...

Not at all, and it would take some seriously HD equipment to extract that from my statement, beachbum.

Teachers today often use materials, including quizzes and tests, from the textbook publishers. What textbook they use and whether they use the publishers tests may not be their choice, but mandated by the school. Today's teachers have far less autonomy within their classrooms than in the past, and are also tasked with doing more, often while walking on eggshells trying to follow guidelines, mandates, and changing protocols.

All of these things vary both between and within districts. Schools are run by administrators whose primary purpose is to deliver good standardized test results mandated by the government (NCLB, CC). The Big Three dominate both the textbook/curriculum materials and standardized test markets. If a standardized test comes from a particular publisher, school administrators are likely to use that publisher's textbooks and the quizzes and tests created by that publisher in order to achieve higher test scores. If a particular school or district is underachieving, they may mandate teachers use the publisher's quizzes/tests. Schools today are essentially run on a business model, with test scores representing "profits".

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Not at all, and it would take some seriously...

I understand all that, but there are also teachers who push their agenda on their students.

beachbum beachbum

In response to “I understand all that, but there are also...

Yes, there are. There is not, from what was reported, proof of such, though. I take it you missed the "possibly" and "if" in my response to the question? You see, beachbum, I try not to have knee-jerk reactions to situations reported without all the facts.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Yes, there are. There is not, from what was...

We have company, so did just skim the post.

beachbum beachbum

Something weird is going on here...

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Fired or severely punished. That any teacher or school would think making light of shootings is appropriate, considering the rate of school shootings these days, is a punishable offense certainly.

Logan Logan

I'd have to say yes. We have to have a standard of conduct for ALL teachers. Can anyone here say that any teacher would not have been fired if the name on that quiz happened to be Obama or Hillary?

JustJimColo JustJimColo

the FBI should immediately investigate her and she would have to give a talk to the whole school about why she was wrong to do what she did. She also should have to tell the school 10 good things about Trump and what he is trying to do. If she can't do that, then she should be fired for not being able to be unbiased in her position as a teacher. Kids should get the whole story of a situation, not her personal opinions

ozzyboy ozzyboy

Looks to me like she took responsibility for the problem and basically apologized. I would just counsel her for the incident and put it in her file. I'd also review the material she got the questions and answers from and decide if that source is one that should be removed from the school system.

This is from the source article: The teacher, Carin Aufderheide, told the Jackson Hole Daily that she did not write the question, but takes responsibility for having it on the test. “While I did not write the quiz questions and answers, it was my responsibility to proofread it; had I done so I can assure you I would not have distributed the quiz without first changing the offensive answer.”

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Looks to me like she took responsibility for...

Will, I suspect teachers like this, only backpedal, when they get caught and held accountable.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Will, I suspect teachers like this, only...

That is a possibility.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

No, she didn't write the question and says she failed to proofread the test and if she had, she would have changed it. Unless she's lying, she didn't really do anything wrong. She could have done better by proofreading the test, but that's her only fault in the situation. I don't believe that level of disciplinary action is warranted.

Who should be fired is the person who wrote the test. Using public education to attack a sitting president is reprehensible and shows a worrying lack of judgement.

Public school must be politically neutral, or it isn't serving the best interests of students. There are many sides to domestic political debates and it's inappropriate for schools to teach that one is right and one is wrong because that's INACCURATE. Politics is a matter of opinion, not fact. The only political obligation public schools have is to teach loyalty to the country, and when appropriate, give an accurate and evenhanded explanation of the various sides' positions on issues. Using the platform of a public school teacher to advocate for your own political ideology is an abuse of power.

Maze Maze

Yes they should otherwise it would be unfair to the kid who got expelled for eating his poptart like a gun or the kids playing with gun hands. It's amazing how things slide when depending on what the progressives think, its fine to slander POTUS but god forbid a kid even imagines something remotely pretend violent.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Give me one generation and I will give you the future.Karl Marx
This teacher reminds me of the common run of the mill felon who isn't guilty despite the evidence.

shinrin shinrin

Absolutely.

beachbum beachbum

Fired (if the teacher authored the test)...That's taking the "Freedom of Speech" way beyond its boundaries....and what makes it worse, is teaching young minds to think that way.

azlotto azlotto

Trump is like marmite, you like him or hate him...but he is the president and until he is removed or his term is over, then Americans should show respect and this sort of thing removed and the teacher sacked...

JD JD

It is criminal to threaten a sitting President. It is twisted to insinuate your political views into your classroom. But this has become the norm for Liberal educators.

Dar Dar

Absolutely. If nothing else, teach the kids respect for the office regardless of who it is. The fact that he is the President is worth that respect.

Jaxxi Jaxxi