I wouldn't give one of these to my child any time soon

TheCensoredBritRoosterBubBudwickMashaMetal_god14TrishLil_PrincessThinkerbellSunny_the_skepticTiffaneeBlewynanifailSukiesnowPartyOfOneSynysterGatesprimeiroCarlaZolfieLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredDumbGoatOzSurfer

Nobody :)

Lil_PrincessPiper2TiffaneeOzSurferWill_JanitorMashaPartyOfOneMarianneMazeThinkerbellprimeiroCarlaRoosterBubSynysterGatesMetal_god14

Nice article, although I dont see anything new, the same risks exist for any smart device. At this modern age we're pretty much used to the convenience of all the smart devices we use.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I don't have any kids here anymore but after reading that article? I sure wouldn't want anything to do with those. Good post! Best to keep track of things like this!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I don't have any kids here anymore but after...

Right and keep track of your kid by watching and protecting them instead of letting them run wild then wondering what happened. Parents need to get better at their job.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Reviews on Amazon for this product say it sucks - wasn't designed to work in the USA for some reason.

Yeah, ya gotta wonder if maybe we're a little too deep in technology.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Reviews on Amazon for this product say it...

We were much too deep into it a very long time ago. When our local McDonald's card reader went down, they had to turn people away who didn't have the cash to pay for their orders - in today's world, that'd include most people. Instead of whipping out a pad of paper and pen to write the order(s), they lost out on several hundreds in sales. When banks go down, they go down in a big way... no non-electronic alternative. Imagine the threat of a large level EMP going off in cities around the country - again no non-electric backup. For the sake of speed and profit, we've boxed ourselves into a potentially-bigger mess.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “We were much too deep into it a very long...

Totally correct! When the register fails to show change to be received - the cashier 9 times out of 10 is dead in the water - can not make change.

The EMP thing scares the shit out me. In that event there will be chaos beyond imagination, extraordinary death toll - a true life changing event.

Budwick Budwick

Right that is why i keep some cash hidden in my car and house , enough to get me thrugh a short emergency.

In response to “Right that is why i keep some cash hidden in...

Very perceptive - I think that's a smart move as long as the cash doesn't get taken along with the car :)

Nice to see you again, Lorraine.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “Very perceptive - I think that's a smart move...

Well thank you PO1, Had no internet for a week big windstorms here blew all the wires ad trees down I have to go get money out of my car right now just got back from the bank, I only leave some in the car hidden under bunches of junk. Nobody could find it. Same in the house, being a packrat has some benefits (biggrin)(biggrin)

In response to “Well thank you PO1, Had no internet for a...

We've been getting strong-ish winds over the last couple weeks (upstate NY) but no known local devastation, thankfully.

That's kind of a crafty idea with the "hidden in plain sight" money thing, lol - I never would have thought of that but it actually seems ingenious :D

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

Good article.

Masha Masha

Yes technology is amazing and at same time is I wonder necessary this is classic example I mean a smart watch that people could use to track eavesdrop and even communicate with children that is very frightening to me the implications are too much to even contemplate

Metal_god14 Metal_god14

No technology no matter how “secure” companies claim it is is ever safe of hacking

sh9683 sh9683

In response to “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRw1ERj2Gc

Why did you send me that troll video? Haha.

sh9683 sh9683

In response to “Why did you send me that troll video? Haha.

I thought it was funny.

Maze Maze

Oh I sure wouldn't purchase one of those for my kids.

I am very blessed that my kids fully understand the dangers of things like that and the internet.

Thank ya for sharing the article.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Why The heck do kids need a smart watch anyway?Security is never likely to be absolutely foolproof with these devices.Clever people can find a way into anything.No matter how much you educate your kids you can never be sure they are completely safe.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

It's a bad idea but why do kids need watches anyway?

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “It's a bad idea but why do kids need watches...

Especially these days when the time is everywhere, computers, phones etc. Everything has a clock on it. Who needs a watch?

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Especially these days when the time is...

Exactly I haven't worn a watch in years not sure I can remember what a wrist watch looks like 😉

Metal_god14 Metal_god14

In response to “That's what i said.

I thought it first. (smirk2)

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “I thought it first. (Smirk2)

You did. (biggrin)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I see nothing. Wrong with a plain watch. Teach em how to tell time. A rare thing nowadays

sh9683 sh9683

In response to “I see nothing. Wrong with a plain watch...

Yes...there is nothing wrong with a plain watch...unless you are mud wrestling or playing any of the other games that kids play...like jumping from the hay mow or tree climbing. Then it can be superfluous.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

Technology is making our lives more dangerous..they can unlock your car, your home and track your children and access your bank accounts...it's freaky...and scary

JD JD

In response to “Technology is making our lives more...

Very definitely nefarious business practices - they should be shutdown.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

I remember an article put out about a doll little girls could "talk to" to share thoughts about whatever girls talk about which could be used to mine personal information coming out of the conversation; I didn't keep the web address or I'd be more specific. Anyway, that too was a potential threat that was on store shelves.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “I remember an article put out about a doll...

I saw that. That is totally crossing the line I think.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Most new technology comes with good and bad .

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

What happened to old school. It's getting dark, you go home, don't need a watch or tracking device on your kid.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

The biggest problem I see with it is that it’s a huge distraction attached to to the wrist of a small child who needs to be focusing and learning about what’s going on around them. Kids need to learn about technology but not like this.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I can understand the appeal of such devices, and the resistance too. I don't have kids and I don't like the idea of wearing a phone, but if did, and I gave my kids something like that, I'd get a standard phone watch, not one intended specifically for kids. That way I wouldn't be painting a target on them, because it would just show up as a phone, not a kid's device. Then I'd make sure it's running good security software. Most watch phones run Android, so finding good security software shouldn't be difficult. As a bonus, a basic watch phone is about $35, which is a lot less than the devices in the story.

Maze Maze

As a professional hacker/cracker, I can tell you guys this.

I don't own a watch. My own cell phone is the cheapest model Nokia one can buy. I used to have an Android, but deemed it to be too dangerous to own. Hell, I wouldn't even use this computer, unless it was a necessity in my current situation - Windows sucks ****.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “As a professional hacker/cracker, I can tell...

What do you think of Blackberry 10 in terms of security?

Maze Maze

In response to “What do you think of Blackberry 10 in terms...

It's not bad, actually.

I wouldn't want one, but, it's not bad.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “It's not bad, actually. I wouldn't want one...

lol You and everyone else.

I have a Z10 as my phone, encrypted, with no downloaded apps and no app permissions given. It does everything I need it to, like make calls, set appointments, take pictures and videos, listen to music etc. But I made a conscious decision not to use a phone for entertainment, it's just a phone. Having a BB helps ensure I stick to that.

I assume it's not an OS a lot of hackers bother working on, since the payoff would be tiny compared to Android or iOS.

Maze Maze

It is not new that latest technologies have their flaws or vulnerabilities, but in this case, the safety of children is involved:

https://www.fastcompany.com/404...ng-on-your-kid

Marianne Marianne

Technology has made us all vulnerable. Keeping a child safe? Teach them how to be safe.
Phones, watches, ipads....those may be things children want, but...they are, in my mind burdens.

Carla Carla

True, but how is this different than any other smart device? All tech is hackable. ALL TECH!

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “dddd

Any reason why you are spamming my question?

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit OP

sorry, that was an accident!

msith718

Sometimes my palm hits my touch pad on my laptop and it clicks the cursor down.I thought i was in Notepad but the cursor must have clicked down on the textbox here and i didnt notice. so when i hit enter, it entred on this site instead of what I was doing in notepad.

msith718

That must be expensive the big reason NOT to give it to a kid. Better to instal a phone finding divice in the kids clothing where they can't even find it, but you can then search for them and get directions to where they are exactly.