<b>Feminism</b> is a negative word....<em>amirite?</em>

SukiesnowSunny_the_skepticWill_JanitorSynysterGatesPiper2Mazesh9683

BubTiffaneeRoosterDWFErasmusB_FurmanSmallSkr3wBallsoberlikekesha

Piper2TiffaneeBozetteOzSurferWill_JanitorSukiesnowMazeBubSynysterGates
Feminism is a negative word....amirite?

Explained by Sukiesnow...

I see the positive aspects of the word "feminism" but it seems as if I'm fighting an uphill battle... Why is that? Why has that one word become so negative?

** hats! Let's face it. Nobody can seriously a person wearing a ** hat. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

It's ok with me

JD JD

The Cons would like you to think so. Same for liberal, progressive, idealistic, compassion, Mexican, Muslim, peace... on and frigging on...

Bub Bub

Depends on who you ask. Feminism as an idea was pure, get women the equal opportunities - pros AND cons just as same as men, fairness for women as much as men. THAT idea I like because it's only fair that way. However feminist groups of today aren't the same, a lot of them view men as the enemy and are biased against anything that would favor men. Seeing that you can understand why men don't want anything to do with feminism and because of that movements such as MGTOW emerged who have men just as sexist towards women as the feminist sexist towards men.

I was really fascinated by this topic years ago with many Youtubers covering them and I saw all kinds of people from both sides.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

No, certain people and some of the media would say different though.

Tiffanee

The connotation of the word feminist has changed.

Today's Liberal feminism...not my cup of tea.

Dar Dar

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “**** hats!...

(hehe)(hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “**** hats!...

Wait till the **** hats arrive.

Don't laugh, it is only a matter of time and I am sure a lot of guys crying over ** hats will happily walk down the road with a ** on their head.

Tiffanee

In response to “Wait till the **** hats arrive. Don't laugh...

I don't think so, Tiff. If they do, I won't be taking them seriously either.

I can't think of anything this guy could say that would interest me. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I don't think so, Tiff. If they do, I won't...

I'm making a joke of it of course but I just find people complaining about **** hats more ridiculous than the hats themselves. IMO.

Tiffanee

In response to “I'm making a joke of it of course but I just...

I'm one of those that has mentioned it a few times on here. I think they made a big mistake by offering that as a diversion instead of sticking to their points of interest. JMHO.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I'm one of those that has mentioned it a few...

Well they wore the hats to draw attention to issues but the only issue ended up being the hats and I find that pathetic.

Not talking about you...just what you see and read in the media.

Tiffanee

In response to “**** hats!...

No shit!

Bozette Bozette

In response to “**** hats!...

Ya know, I think I see the problem the woman on the left is having...the one who feels "violated"... Hey lady, pull your head outta there! (biggrin)

Bozette Bozette

Only if you're a **** person

DWF DWF

Not to me, and I've not known many women who are not some degree of a feminist. It's always been a negative word to some people, of course, but I understand why it's become more of one.
The most obnoxiously vocal of those who support most any good ideal, can give it a bad name with their extreme views.

Piper2 Piper2

Feminism was originally a positive thing: equal rights for women, but modern day feminism is NOT about equality, not by a longshot. It's unashamedly hateful towards men.
Most self-proclaimed male feminists are "useful idiots".

I support equal rights, and equal opportunities, that's why I don't support third wave feminism.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

In response to “Feminism was originally a positive thing:...

*Most self-proclaimed male feminists are "useful idiots".*

Could you expand on this at all? Especially what you mean when you said "male feminist"....

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow OP

Feminism in my small circle has always been a positive thing which supported women who were being abused and treated poorly in many ways. However from what I have discovered from reading online, in the US there have been extreme left wing movements that have called themselves feminists to hate on all men. I still support feminism in it's true form and I think it's needed more than ever, but I don't support it being hijacked like this... if what I have read is correct.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Kind of. If feminism was equality, it would be called equality, not feminism. It's basically gender supremacy masquerading as fairness, though I'm sure a lot of feminists would disagree with that definition. But that's what I see.

I mean, turn the situation over and look at it from the other side. If men had a masculist movement, and masculists told you they were just seeking equality for men, would you buy that, or would you think their intention was to get a leg up on women?

So, I have no problem with gender equality, but I don't think feminism is about equality, it's about dominance.

Maze Maze

To me, the word has a negative connotation. A strong, intelligent woman, doesn't need a "label". They don't feel they need to go out and join a group that wants/demands that others "give" them, what she has already obtained on her own.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “To me, the word has a negative connotation. A...

⬆️This! ⬆️

Bozette Bozette

Certain facets of it. Absolutely. I think like most everything, your view of the world and those in it began at the foot of your parents and the tenets they raised you with.

Freeranger Freeranger

Feminism started because women were not equal. They did not have the same rights and opportunities as men. Early feminists combated these inequalities. It had to be called "feminism" because the issues were unique to women. Men already had these rights.

Nowadays, with large-scale gender equality extant, feminism seems "unnecessary". That doesn't mean women don't have unique issues even with widespread equality present, but so do men (such as being disfavored in divorce proceedings or being guilty until proven innocent when accused of sexual crimes). So for me, I have to support both women's and men's issues and labeling myself a "feminist" seems inappropriate.

Logan Logan

It's a word without connotation. It's simply a noun. Much like cabinet or fish. If it were a slur it'd be a negative word, or a word like "not" or "no" it'd be negative. Feminism is just feminism.

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

modern day feminism is, and for good reason

sh9683 sh9683