Why on Earth are gas station bathrooms locked anyways...are they terrified someone might go in and clean them๐Ÿ™„

Lil_PrincessVicZincRoosterTiffaneeDarOzSurfersh9683

Nobody :)

TiffaneeBozetteOzSurferRoosterMetal_god14Dar

Explained by Lil_Princess...

Why on earth is the men's bathroom 10 times cleaner than the ladies room?๐Ÿ˜˜

They are probably scared about what you might find inside. They are usually disgusting.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

Probably so! You couldn't pay me to use one of them. I think they also keep them locked to keep stray people from using them unless they're buying gas.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Probably so! You couldn't pay me to use one...

A couple of years ago, I was out with a friend and we were looking for turtles and stopped at a gas station. He couldn't figure out why I wouldn't use the ladies room. I opened the door and said would you, it was rather bad but the men's bathroom was spotless. I had noticed this at almost every gas station I have ever been at.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “They are probably scared about what you might...

Sadly that is so true. I remember stopping at one that looked like something from the movie "Wrong Turn" (omg)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

In response to “Sadly that is so true. I remember stopping at...

Yeah I remember going into one and the toilet bowl was full of shit right up to the rim like it hadn't been cleaned in years. Isn't there a law about that stuff? (ill)

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Yeah I remember going into one and the toilet...

I think there should be a law if there isn't

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

Too funny. Finding a gas station washroom worthy of peeing in is a rarity.

Dar Dar

In response to “Too funny. Finding a gas station washroom...

That is no joke (hehe)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

In response to “That is no joke (hehe)

Unlike the boys who have options...

(jolly)

Dar Dar

I think they keep them locked because 1 they are filthy and disgusting and 2 they think it's funny when someone is needing a bathroom quick they have to get the key and boom it's too late

Metal_god14 Metal_god14

In response to “I think they keep them locked because 1 they...

I honestly believe that on the second one (hehe)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

Vandalism.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Vandalism.

Good point. I see a lot of that in the Wal-Mart bathrooms. My thing is who takes a sharpie to go to the bathroom (ono)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

In response to “Good point. I see a lot of that in the...

Service station bathrooms are often accessed from the exterior of the building out of the line of sight of employees, usually on a side of the building towards the back. If not locked, serious damage to plumbing and/or fixtures could easily be done without the attendant's knowledge. Even what one might consider teenage pranks could prove prohibitively costly to the station owners, who are actually providing a service to the public.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Service station bathrooms are often accessed...

I think I have only been to one that was on the outside and was shocked that it was not locked but what was even more shocking is the bathrooms were spotless. I know wish I would have asked them why they didn't lock them but I really didn't think about it till now.

My ex-brother in law runs a gas station with interior bathrooms and had vandals come in and caused all kinds of damage. He had one customer that could have been seriously injured had she not noticed what they had did.

Sad that there are people like that out there.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

In response to “I think I have only been to one that was on...

It used to be pretty standard that the public restrooms were outside entrances, back when there were service stations. Today most gas stations are also C-stores and many are combined with fast food restaurants so restrooms are often inside.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “It used to be pretty standard that the public...

Out of all the ones we have, I think only one has an exterior restroom.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess OP

In response to “Out of all the ones we have, I think only one...

Like I said, things changed a lot when service stations were replaced with self-serve gas stations/C-stores.

Bozette Bozette