What's your income tax percentage rate? Are you getting screwed like we are in Canada? Based on a 80k yearly salary, the average percentage rate is 25 to 30%. Exclude pension, medical etc. Only - Federal/Provencal/State etc.

Lil_PrincessOzSurferSukiesnowDar

Explained by SynysterGates...

Disclaimer: Do not comment about politics on this post.

37% all in including fed, state, and FICA, plus 8% sales tax on everything except groceries and yachts.

VicZinc VicZinc

Canada has to pay for that free health care somehow.

Dar Dar

In response to “Canada has to pay for that free health care...

You got that right. And people think it's free here in Canada.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “You got that right. And people think it's...

No such thing as free. I live in Canada and the States. Canadian citizen. But my husband is American. He worked for the State of Texas and we get private health care when we're there. But even that was screwed over by Obamacare. I have had to enlighten a few folks down here as to the reality of Canadian Health Care.

Dar Dar

In response to “No such thing as free. I live in Canada and...

Ha! I lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, I too got to see both sides. I'm back in Canada and have been for awhile.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Ha! I lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, I too...

Wait times for some tests and procedures are terrible in Canada. I was shocked when my American Doctor said I could have an MRI 3 days after seeing him. I think by jaw actually hit the floor.

Dar Dar

In response to “Wait times for some tests and procedures are...

Yes they are, it's like they have no staff. Seeing Specialist is even worse.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

in 1999-2000-2001 ... I paid $85,000 of income tax each year. The good old days when high tech was booming.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In Indiana it is 3.3% of a taxpayer's federal adjusted gross income

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “In Indiana it is 3.3% of a taxpayer's federal...

Wow ... Do you have State tax on top of Federal?

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Wow ... Do you have State tax on top of Federal?

Yes and local county tax as well. So the slap us with federal, state, and local (sad)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Yes and local county tax as well. So the slap...

Same here, Federal and Provincial.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Same here, Federal and Provincial.

I am sure the government is loving me working a 100 hours a week (hehe)

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “I am sure the government is loving me working...

I'm sure they do, those bastards. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Last year, when I worked the entire year full time, I believe my tax bracket was 23%. Now that I only work three days a week, I'm not sure what it will be.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Last year, when I worked the entire year full...

That seems very high compared to Indiana. Is 23% just Federal and State tax?

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “That seems very high compared to Indiana. Is...

Yes, federal, state and city.

Linnster Linnster

I don't pay any so I haven't a clue what the British rate is.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

In response to “I don't pay any so I haven't a clue what the...

Thanks. Lucky you.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

I rue the day someone figured out how to get the people to pay for almost everything...

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “I rue the day someone figured out how to get...

Ontario's tax rate is out of control. If I ever win the lottery Canada's not get a penny.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Ontario's tax rate is out of control. If I...

I just heard there is another new tax on some foods. Next time...after you go to the grocery store...check your receipt.

Sukiesnow Sukiesnow

In response to “I just heard there is another new tax on some...

Ah man ... I certainly will, I normally do anyway.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

I pay around 15% income tax but that rate increases the higher your income until some pay 45% for every dollar they earn over $180,000 per year. Then we have GST which is 10% so we all pay that on anything we purchase. Then there's company tax which gets passed down to consumers, and superannuation has three levels of taxation on it. Then there's a whole range of extra taxes on Government services like registering your car or getting a drivers license.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I pay around 15% income tax but that rate...

You have GST too? Ours is 7% (sales tax) then we have provincial tax totaling a whooping 13%. The GST was a 'temporary tax" but it will never go away. Income tax at 15% is pretty good.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “You have GST too? Ours is 7% (sales tax) then...

Yes we have 10% GST and was told it would never increase but I know the Government really would like to increase it. Most here pay around 30% tax due to their incomes. Mine is lower as I'm on a lower income. Is Provincial tax like another GST?

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “Yes we have 10% GST and was told it would...

NO Provincial is like a State tax in the US, It's a province tax which is 8% in Ontario but different in other Provinces.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “NO Provincial is like a State tax in the US...

Ah I see, yes we have state taxes too, but they are called Stamp Duty and are attached to things like vehicle registration, purchasing homes etc so it's not upfront like GST is, and can be any amount the State Governments decide they will make it. I think our tax system needs a huge overhall. Also Governments waste so much of it, it could be lower but that'll never happen. Usually when they try and cut back on operating costs, they get rid of a lot of the lower level employees that do most of the work then vote themselves a pay rise for saving money.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “Ah I see, yes we have state taxes too, but...

Same here, it will never come down and if it does, it will be added to something else. The Feds are really good at moving money around.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “Same here, it will never come down and if it...

I think Governments everywhere become addicted and dependent on how much money they get in each year and actually want more to try and entice voters for the next election. Even Governments who say they are conservative and believe in lower taxes and smaller Governments never apply that to themselves when they are in... well at least not here. To do that they'd have to say, well now we are elected, we need to have less money and reduce our size and amount of power. I wonder if any Government anywhere has ever done that?

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I think Governments everywhere become...

I agree, they have a budget set and are always way over it.

I highly doubt there's any such Government that would say, we need to have less money and reduce our Gov, size and power.

There salaries keep going up. Members of Parliament make about $175,000 a year plus various bonuses that amount to $80,00. I need that job. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “I agree, they have a budget set and are...

Yes me too! but if I could only get it without the stress and the public profile (hmm)... actually stuff democracy, I want to be dictator, i know what's best for everyone, vote for me and you'll never have to vote again (hehe)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “Yes me too! but if I could only get it...

There's no stress with MP's. They create projects that can't be achieved and have no end state. I can do that very well. (hehe)

Yes you do know what's best for everyone, I don't know why people don't listen. Just fire all of them. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “There's no stress with MP's. They create...

The thing with MP's is that they can create any kind of project at the lowest price and come in under budget, then hand it off to other departments to use different buckets of money to fix all the things that were missing in the original project then finally blame the cost blow out on the opposition (roll) (hehe) as dictator I'd get to fire them with the firing squad (biggrin)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “The thing with MP's is that they can create...

hahaha. You got that all right. That's exactly what they do. The departments are stuck with a project that will end up in the back burner or just fail. (smirk2)

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “hahaha. You got that all right. That's...

See as dictator I'd just bring a mandatory surfing component to all projects, mp's would have to catch a certain amount of waves to be eligible for a payrise. That would teach them to go with the flow (biggrin)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “See as dictator I'd just bring a mandatory...

haha. That would be fun to watch. See them get beat up by swells. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

In response to “haha. That would be fun to watch. See them...

Yes, if they got wiped out, so would their budget (hehe)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “37% all in including fed, state, and FICA...

37% ? That's high, but the sales tax is set at 8% is good, way better than ours.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP

Getting screwed

Brianl Brianl

In response to “Getting screwed

I hear ya.

SynysterGates SynysterGates OP