PhilboydStudgedoctorwho1011Piper2Tiffaneedru18DandyDonBozetteWill_JanitorMarianneazlottoZonkeyBallsRoosterMetal_god14
What book gives you happy memories?

Rainbow 6 because I read it while on vacation in St Maarten about 15 years ago and it had a very cool ending!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Rainbow 6 because I read it while on vacation...

Think I've read just about all of Clancy's books and just pre ordered the newest one today. But I loved Russian: Красный Oктябрь, [ˈkrasnɨj ɐkˈtʲabrʲ] "Krasniy Oktyabr"

Rooster Rooster

The first book I ever read treasure island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Metal_god14 Metal_god14

Not happy memories, per se, but there was a book that just made me feel good. It was, surprisingly, a Koontz novel. (For those unfamiliar with Dean Koontz, I think of him as being Stephen King's twin, that they were separated at birth and raised on separate coasts, but still so alike.) It was several years ago that I read it, but looking through the list of his books, I'm pretty sure it was Breathless (2009).

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Not happy memories, per se, but there was a...

I was a Koontz fan as well until his books became over-descriptive in unnecessary areas, lending nothing important nor enriching - still, his books were a good read till then ;)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “I was a Koontz fan as well until his books...

I've always loved Koontz, but I recall one book of his I could never get past the first few pages, and I tried several times as others assured me it was a good read. Sometimes both he and King (another favorite) do get wordy, it really depends on the individual book whether it is too much or not, imo. If you haven't read the book mentioned above, I recommend it. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I've always loved Koontz, but I recall one...

I put it on my B&N wishlist, and thanks for the steer :)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

Oh yeah! Dean Koontz can weave a story when he wants!

Rooster Rooster

My favorite of his was Watchers.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

The Hobbit. My first introduction to the Lord of the Rings.

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

In response to “The Hobbit. My first introduction to the Lord...

I liked it as well, and the trilogy that followed.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

This was such a great book that I got from the library close to 20 years ago and hooked me good.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “This was such a great book that I got from...

I enjoy Cussler, but don't recall reading that one.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I enjoy Cussler, but don't recall reading...

Cool book! Written before they knew Titanic was broke in two!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Cool book! Written before they knew Titanic...

I'll check it out, thanks.

Bozette Bozette

The Tarzan series, back in grade school, which initiated my love of reading.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

http://mybookwormblog.files.wor...ttes-web1.jpeg

Any book by E B White.

Oh yes, and this one too.

dru18 dru18

My Senior Yearbook.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

My high school yearbook.

Linnster Linnster

This probably doesn't come as a surprise to those, who know me better on the site, but my parents were a bit crazy. Not in the same Loony Toons way, that I am, but more like "We can't bother, let him do it by himself." So, when I was two and a half years old, they decided to teach me how to read. Finnish is quite an easy language to read, when you understand the basic rules, which include that 99.9% of the words are pronounced in the same way they are read. So, if you know the word pronounced, you are very likely to know it, when you see it. Naturally, we do have some very tricky words, which even today are difficult - at least for me - such as "ymmärtämättömyydellänsäkään", but those are joined words with conjunctions included in the word itself.

As for the question itself, I started reading science fiction, when I was eight. But mostly I remember my first horror novel, which gave me quite - well - horror. I'm not certain, which one I read first, but both are written by Stephen King, who back then even knew how to be scary and not just scary in the wrong way. Christine and Pet Sematary are those two first horror novels, which I ever read and the mere thought of how I felt back then gives me proper shivers. As a science fiction fan, with certain weird sense of humor, obviously Douglas Adams is, has been and will probably always be my favorite author, but I was already sixteen, when first read his work.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

King Solomon's mines by Allan Quatermain, I hate the movie though.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

I would rather say that books provide happy moments; stories can fascinate, inspire, teach, bring about laughs, tears and thoughts. They can be shared with friends and amateurs, and they allow also to get away from all the noise, crowds and speed of our hectic world. (smile)

Marianne Marianne

Any book by Dr. Seuss...Reminds me of my tranquil childhood.

Then all of a sudden this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIGMmReV0Q

azlotto azlotto

Grisham: The Racketeer. Good book for cheering in the end. :)

DW2 DW2