I don't think about it.

PartyOfOne

It's not my fight.

Nobody :(

I support the military.

JDBudwickhootowlWill_JanitorRoosterSynysterGatesDar

I don't support the military.

TrishDWF

Who cares?

Nobody :(

Other:

DW2MashaSunny_the_skeptic

Other

ZonkeyBalls

BudwickBozetteWill_JanitorZonkeyBallsRoosterSynysterGates
Have people become apathetic of the soldiers overseas fighting Islamic Terrorism?

Explained by JustJimColo...

Those of us old enough to remember Viet Nam, remember the news stations covering it. Every night, we watched as the images of the fighting showed the dead and wounded being carried off of the battlefield. We watched as American soldiers were loaded into helicopters to be air lifted to military hospitals. For the first time in history, many watched from their living rooms as war, and the horrors of war were brought into our living rooms for the first time, and the reality of war unfolded on the TV screens in front of them during dinner. The term “body count” was added to our everyday vocabulary. Every night, we heard the number of Americans killed in action for that day. We heard the number of enemy combatants that were killed, and if the number of the enemy killed was much greater than the number of Americans, it was deemed a victory. We all mourned as a nation for those killed, and we all knew someone who had, or were currently fighting in that war. Often it was a family member, a former classmate, or someone who lived down the street. It was on everyone’s mind, especially those graduating from high school, wondering if they were next to have to go. Why aren’t we seeing this on our TV’s today? Why isn’t this war on terrorism that is being fought by the military being shown to remind us that there are Americans, Brits and military from other countries, dying every day in foreign countries? Why doesn’t the “media”, show us what these men and women are facing every day? Why aren’t they showing us the hardships, the sacrifice and the suffering? When was the last time you heard a reporter give the number of dead for that day? Sure, there are rare cases of reports of our dead, but it seems to me, that those dead are being reported to further some political agenda rather than honoring the sacrifice those who died made. Maybe it just isn't newsworthy anymore. Has it gotten to the point that the only time we hear, or think about what is taking place every day, is on Veterans Day, or Memorial Day, or during a political speech? America has been in this war for 16 years now. Have people become so desensitized over the years that reporting on it only rates “mention” in some local newspapers obituaries? Why is it that we only hear about the fight against terrorists today, when they strike here, in our cities? Why have so many ignored or forgotten about those fighting abroad?

I don't know what I could really add! My Mother used to tell me about the broadcasts from and about Vietnam when I was there.
Very good point and one that I've often wondered about myself.
I don't know what is wrong with the media today! Where's Walter Cronkite when you need him?

Rooster Rooster

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I don't know what I could really add! My...

Just think of those family's who had someone in Viet Nam, or today, in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other countries and the phone rings at 2 in the morning. The heart skips a beat. I'm sure your Mom experienced it.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Just think of those family's who had someone...

She did when my brother went M.I.A. Don't think she ever recovered from that! The never knowing!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “She did when my brother went M.I.A. Don't...

A mother and fathers worst nightmare.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

I think he is still orbiting the Moon, Robt.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Yup. Viet Nam was my era.

I guess the conflicts we're involved in [and winning most recently] are not fitting the media / leftist agenda. Why else would they not report on it?

Budwick Budwick

It certainly isn't covered very well in the media. Whether that is by their choice or the government withholding the information, I don't know.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

I have mixed feelings about this thing, the soldiers themselves are swayed with patriotism and the thirst for justice so nothing bad on them. There's the difference between reason and occasion, I feel like the truth is not so simple as us the normal folk think.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I have mixed feelings about this thing, the...

Sunny, I really wasn't writing this from a perspective of the war being right or wrong, moral or immoral. I wrote it more from the perspective that it isn't really covered or reported at all. Here is an example what of that time period and how it was reported. While the war may have been politically charged, it generally wasn't politicized in the reporting, (except during elections) <s>
https://video.search.yahoo.com/...4a9dd95e42f8d4

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

I have seen enough war. These days, I usually go for silly YouTube videos.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

from what I have read, (along with a disclaimer that I am no scholar)....the answer to the question, may be possibly found in the ancient statement of Chaucer in c. 1386 when the expression in one form or another was coined "familiarity breeds contempt."
I'll leave others, more scholarly to debate the origins.

Freeranger Freeranger

War isn't the in-your-face reality to Americans today that it was during the Vietnam War. This CF we are currently engaged in has lasted ~ 5 years longer than our troops were in 'Nam, but there were more than 8 times the losses in' Nam than we have had in the ME/NA. There was a draft then, which also made it more personal. The intense opposition to the war then also kept it in the news.

We watched non-stop during the '91 war with Iraq. We watched non-stop when we went into Afghanistan and during the beginning of our involvement in Iraq (2003). It was broadcast live pretty much around the clock...and then it wasn't. Why? (hmm)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “War isn't the in-your-face reality to...

That's the big question Boz.... Why?

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “That's the big question Boz.... Why?

There was broad support for both Afghanistan and Iraq simply because people wanted revenge for 9/11. Once questions about our justification for invading Iraq began to surface, the coverage began to taper off. We have since either gone into or bombed several more countries. Not only have we no intention of leaving, we are constantly expanding our reach. There are also legitimate questions as to such things as blowback, our invasion of Iraq creating Daesh, factions armed/supported by the CIA and the DoD fighting each other in Syria, how much of the migrant problems in Europe are due to our military actions, and our true motives for involvement in these nations.

If there are constant reminders in the news, people might just demand answers to these questions from government...and why the press hasn't already asked them. Usually, panem et circenses works well. When that fails, distract and divide.

But you know all this, Jim.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “There was broad support for both Afghanistan...

Bingo.

But I like the way you put things into words.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Bingo. But I like the way you put things...

Thank you, Jim. :)

Bozette Bozette

Being English we never heard as much of the Vietnam war as you did and the same reason we hear more about terrorists over here...they seem to be a more European thing, unless they attack America ...

JD JD

The "war on terror" is not as singular of an entity as the Vietnam War was. Vietnam was an unpopular war, but it was at least more easy to pin down: it was being fought in one place against one enemy, there was a distinct singular goal (fight with the South Vietnamese to defeat and expel the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese). It was simply easier to cover.

What we've got now is a much more scattered less focused effort. We have troops in various places advising or fighting alongside messier lines. We fight against ISIS, but Al Qaeda also fights ISIS, so then we have to fight against them too...we're in Iraq, but also in Syria, we're not fighting a nation like in Vietnam (North Vietnam), we're fighting disparate groups that fall under an umbrella label "terrorism".

There's no easy clean narrative that makes it appealing to the news. Bozette has it right about Iraq. Iraq had an easy clean narrative at first and when it became messier, it stopped getting covered. If this were a more conventional war with decisive battles, fronts, nations vs. nations, it might get more coverage. People are also weary of the "war on terror" that's been going on since 2003. It's become more of a backdrop that something we follow on the edge of our seats. The news mainly comes when something decisive happens (i.e. on October 19th when ISIS was expelled from Raqqa, or when Mosul was successfully liberated, etc.) We're interested when something is accomplished, but otherwise it's less interesting.

There also simply aren't as many deaths. There were 60,000+ killed in Vietnam, but only a small handful of Americans have been killed fighting ISIS (I think I read less than 10). 4,000 killed in the Iraq War, 2,000 in Afghanistan. The numbers just don't come close to the carnage of other wars.

Logan Logan

I support every one of them. I applaud every kill and morn every US soldier death. The people we are fighting decapitate people or drown them in cages for everybody to see on the Internet. They support and applaud those who intentionally drive large trucks through groups of innocent people in the name of God. In response I say “**** your God”. I hope a Hellfire lands close enough just to leave you bald and impotent. You call for the destruction of me, my County and my friends under the racist caliphate mentality. I will continue to celebrate every time one of you leaves this planet in a pile of ash.

DW2 DW2

Our troops are not fighting terrorism they are creating it.
The best way to combat terrorism is to stop participating in it.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “Our troops are not fighting terrorism they...

Uhhhhhhh yeah.... I'll move on to somebody with at least come semblance of connection with reality....

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Uhhhhhhh yeah.... I'll move on to somebody...

Oh, that's rich.
You buy the "War of Terror" and I'm disconnected.
Do you think they hate us because we're free?

You want reality? The US is involved in more acts of terrorism than the rest of the world combined.
If you think we're in the Middle East, or anywhere else for that matter, to combat terrorism you need to wake up and smell the cordite 'cause you don't have a clue.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “Oh, that's rich. You buy the "War of...

You are delusional. Do you know how to read? Try some history books. Read about Islam and the history of them trying to convert the world by violence for centuries.
Have you been to the Middle East? Have you ever even worn the uniform and faced the enemy? I thought not. Ever been to Europe? I doubt it. If you had, you'd see the islamic scum of the earth terrorists all over the place, killing, raping and stealing everywhere.
You're one of those kids who, if we did what you suggest, would say, Why didn't you do something to stop this," ten years from now. Your mentality was the same as those during WWII who wanted us to surrender to Japan after Pearl Harbor.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “You are delusional. Do you know how to read?...

I did my time in SE Asia so little piss ants like you could talk smack on the web so **** you.
And as for your friends friends **** them too. Both of them
After 17 years, countless lives and trillions of dollars you still don't get it and likely never will.

Who was president the last time you cracked a history book , JustJim?
I'd like to know where you get your misinformation.

You have been indoctrinated by the propaganda machine.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “I did my time in SE Asia so little piss ants...

Sounds like a wanna be to me... ROFL

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Sounds like a wanna be to me... ROFL

Wait, don't tell me. You had bone spurs. Why am I not surprised. Just another chicken hawk.
Stupid AND spineless.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “Wait, don't tell me. You had bone spurs. Why...

Look at my profile shit for brains. 30 + years. I went in in Jan 72 as a grunt? When did you go in? What was your MOS? I doubt if you were ever even in at all. There are a LOT of real Vets on this site. They are easy to identify. They aren't full of shit when they talk about their military service. They don't write like they have a 3rd grade education. It disgusts me when I see people pretending to be something they never were. It disgusts me when I see people like you dishonoring those who have served, and are NOW serving.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

I support the military and think how much they must love this country,to sacrifice so much.

hootowl hootowl

I'm very aware of the reality of war in the middle east today, I have family and friends over there and you prayer they come home safe, that said one is already suffering psychologically from what he's seen. War today is fought with IED's and drones, I wonder why we still need our soldiers or in the eyes of the elite "cannon fodder." I don't believe the war in the middle east is about protecting our country, we are not fighting on our own land, we're fighting on theirs, I think it is more of a political war, oil, gold, and natural gases that the West don't want to pay the middle east for. Many soldiers get over there and don't know what they are fighting for. I don't believe we know everything, and its meant to be that way, the truth does sneak out in the media from time to time.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

War also makes money, they build weapons and sell them, they test out new technology, and it bankrupts countries, look at Europe after world war I and II. A bankrupt country is easier to control, the league of nations and the EU came out of those wars, they changed the map, they have changed the face of Europe, Europe has been flooded with immigration, by a non cap policy of freedom of movement, and throughh refugees. There are no longer sovereign states in Europe but one state run by a bunch of burocrats in Brussels. This is a globalist agenda and its being funded by The Crown. The Jews know that if they are not the dominant race in their country then they lose their democracy, which is why they only took 100 refugee babies from Syria, they wouldn't want adults as they breed. No Arab country took refugees, they were pushed towards European countries.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

Fantastic post JIM..So many of our brave men and woman have signed their lives away to serve in our military..whether in combat or not. Some people are just stupid to think that they have a free life for free

RECRUIT RECRUIT

I think after sifting through all the news of the day, the readers become so inundated with bad news that the one item becomes another of the same depressing load.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne