What is the difference between wanting to become immortal and wanting to go to heaven?

It's this:

TrishDW2BudwickBozetteJaxxiMashaPartyOfOneSunny_the_skeptic

There is no difference.

VicZincJD

Don't make me think.

Nobody :(

Forever is a long long long long time.

Piper2Tiffanee

Just hand me a beer and shut up.

Nobody :(

Other

JustJimColo

Piper2Tiffaneedru18BozetteAdaWill_JanitorMashaMarianneCarlaRoosterSynysterGatesMetal_god14

Explained by Will_Janitor...

When people are asked, "Would you like to live forever?" there are always a bunch of qualifiers and a large percentage of them say no, because they think they would get bored after so many years. I was just thinking about that and then I started wondering about the billions of people that say they want to go to heaven. Wouldn't the same argument be applicable? How long would you want to play your harp and worship your God before you got bored? I guess if the alternative was torture in hell forever that would have to be considered.

Beats me. I have a hard enough time making it to the end of each day.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

I don't know for sure, but I think those wishing to become immortal, want to be immortal in the world they live in, where those with religious beliefs hope for immortality in some kind of utopian existance.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “I don't know for sure, but I think those...

I agree. I just wonder about the forever and ever part. The number of decisions we make in our lives that are related to the fact that we will die someday are amazing. What we eat, how we save for retirement, making your legacy, when or if we plan for children, our bucket list, all because we have an unknown end date. If you take that away, even in the nicest environment, I eventually see boredom setting in. Maybe. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “I agree. I just wonder about the forever and...

I used to wonder what would happen if I had infinity to play with. Either it's boredom, or infinity has an infinite number of new experiences and wonders. (Either that or we'll all be in a state of Alzheimer's and be able to enjoy re-runs of Gilligan's Island as new episodes for eternity)
The other part about watching what we eat, planning for retirement and what we hope we can leave for our children centers around giving them the best we can for the life they lead here. If we only get one shot at life, it's better to have an enjoyable one.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Will, I think you could expand your thoughts about God and His abilities. I don't think everything will be the same in Heaven as it is here. Trying to second guess what Heaven will be like could short change your eternity.

There's a book you might find interesting -
A Place Called Heaven: 10 Surprising Truths about Your Eternal Home Hardcover – September 5, 2017
by Dr. Robert Jeffress (Author)

I'm not saying he's got everything right or that I agree with everything Jeffress says in the book - I'm just saying, it might exercise your brain to think a little bigger about God and Heaven.

Budwick Budwick

I agree with Jim. And, I'm a little surprised at your simplistic view of Heaven Will.

I think God is interested in work, effort, doing something well enough to glorify God. God spent the first six days working hard to create the Universe. Worked so hard that even He rested on the seventh day.

My point is, I don't think that we'll spend all our time playing harps and worshiping. I'm sure Heaven has it's share of harpists, and they enjoy it. And, I'm sure there will be time spent worshiping. But, what do you like to do? What activity brings you joy? Somehow, someway I'm betting that you will be able to enjoy that activity and be better than you ever dreamed of being and the result will glorify God.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I agree with Jim. And, I'm a little...

It's hard to put all of my thoughts in writing to get a point across, but I understand what you're saying. I guess what I am saying is, everything in our lives is based on a 0-100 year time frame. The older you get the shorter that time frame seems to be. Then all of a sudden you go to the forever time frame. The most fun and enjoyable things I have experienced in my life wouldn't be all that cool 10,000 years later let alone 1,000,000 years and still going. Forever is a long time. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “It's hard to put all of my thoughts in...

I wrote another response with a book reference. Seriously, it's worth a look. I totally understand your concern. But it's an Earthly concern, think bigger!

Budwick Budwick

Tiffanee Tiffanee

They have nothing in common apart from the presumption that heaven is eternal, so would be immortality.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

The biggest question about going to heaven after living life the way I have, has always been, "Will I know anyone there?"

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “The biggest question about going to heaven...

Ha Ha!! I know what you mean.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

Quite simply, one is finite.

Freeranger Freeranger

We all live forever and go on to heaven and then reincarnate and start a new life as a new person ...so we will never get bored..we can stay in heaven as long as we want, before deciding we are ready to return...the future looks good..

JD JD

Well, I figure the negligible amount of people who choose to freeze their bodies at great expense, are hoping for some kind of immortality here on this earth.
I imagined eternity when I was 8 or 9 years old, and it terrified me. I have not allowed my mind to go there since. I have also pondered what heaven might be like, and I imagine it as just the essence of who we are being there, surrounded by love in a way not experienced during our mortal lives.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Well, I figure the negligible amount of...

I thought I was the only one! When I was about the same age the thought of eternity terrified me too. In hindsight I might have had a panic attack. Anyway, I avoided that thought like the plague.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I thought I was the only one! When I was...

I thought I was the only one too, since no one else I've mentioned it too has understood my terror of feeling it.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I thought I was the only one too, since no...

I wouldn't call it a fear for myself, but I seriously can not comprehend forever. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “I wouldn't call it a fear for myself, but I...

Good idea. I wouldn't want to again, either. I very seriously comprehended it...

Piper2 Piper2

Mentioned it "to"! (redface)

Piper2 Piper2

I don't blame people for wanting to go to heaven. Life here, is hell enough.

dru18 dru18

That which is known and that which is believed, but unknown.

Bozette Bozette

I don't want to live on this earth forever, but looking forward to spending eternity in heaven....

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Immortality wouldn't include death... going to heaven would.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

I’d rather pass on when my time comes than postpone death and suffer.

Masha Masha

Heaven is immortality, yes. But it's also perfection. It's love, peace, harmony. No illness, war, aging, abuse, rape, sexism, racism, murder, no decay, no pollution... eternal newness and perfection in all ways. That's different than only living forever. What if you lived forever as an amputee? Blind? Deaf? Cancer riddled? No thank you.

Trish Trish

There’s no beer in Heaven.

DW2 DW2

In response to “There’s no beer in Heaven.

Are you sure? I was looking forward to a cigar bar with Johnny Walker Blue chasers. 😅

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor OP

In response to “Are you sure? I was looking forward to a...

Just what I’ve been told. :)

DW2 DW2

Going to heaven is knowing your soul IS immortal, but to become immortal would mean being stuck here forever on earth without the chance of crossing over or your soul growing.

Jaxxi Jaxxi