Spanish Computer !  A Spanish language teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.  "House" for instance, is feminine:     "la casa."....... "Pencil," however, is masculine:       "el lapiz.".......  A student asked, "What gender is 'Computer'?".......       Instead of giving the answer, the teacher divided the class into two groups, Male and Female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether "Computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation. The men's group decided that  "Computer" should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computadora"),  because:  1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;.......  2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone  else;....... 3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and.......  4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck to buy accessories for it........     <b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b><b>*</b>**** The women's group, however,  concluded that computers should be masculine ("el computador"),  because:  1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;....... 2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;....... 3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and....... 4. As soon as you commit to one,  you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model........    The women won.  lol
Spanish Computer ! A Spanish language teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine. "House" for instance, is feminine: "la casa."....... "Pencil," however, is masculine: "el lapiz."....... A student asked, "What gender is 'Computer'?"....... Instead of giving the answer, the teacher divided the class into two groups, Male and Female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether "Computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation. The men's group decided that "Computer" should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computadora"), because: 1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;....... 2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;....... 3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and....... 4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck to buy accessories for it........ **************** The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine ("el computador"), because: 1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;....... 2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;....... 3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and....... 4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model........ The women won. lol

TiffaneeStarzAboveAdaWill_JanitorMarianneThinkerbellBubSynysterGatesDarChuck_Tom

Explained by StarzAbove...

Ha, self explanatory! haha

Ha Ha Ha Ha!! I agree, the women would have got my vote on that one. Good post!! :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Ha Ha Ha Ha!! I agree, the women would have...

Thanks, I thought it was funny on both counts. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

Ha! I like it. (hehe)

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Ha! I like it. (hehe)

Thanks, I thought it was cute.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

When it comes to women, men always lose....(hehe)(hehe)(hehe)

JD JD

In response to “When it comes to women, men always...

Ha..Of course. For once we agree. (biggrin)(biggrin)

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “Ha..Of course. For once we agree...

We always agree....

JD JD

In response to “We always agree....

lol Yeah right! (biggrin)(biggrin)

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “lol Yeah right! (biggrin)(biggrin)

We agree you are always wrong....(cry)(cry)(cry)(no)(no)(jolly)

JD JD

In response to “https://media.giphy.com/media/iw6B4uDPbwJ9e/gip...

I'm glad you see it my way..hehe

JD JD

In response to “I'm glad you see it my way..hehe

Of course, we always agree....NOT! (biggrin)

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “Of course, we always agree....NOT! (biggrin)

Leave out politics and what don't we agree on....

JD JD

As well they should, JD. (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

(maniac)(hehe)(hehe)

It's always easy to let the woman believe she won, alleviates arguments and gives the man piece of mind. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “(maniac)(hehe)(hehe) It's always easy to let...

Facts are facts. (biggrin)(biggrin)

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “Facts are facts. (biggrin)(biggrin)

Yes you win ... see now I can go on my day as a happy camper. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Yes you win ... see now I can go on my day as...

Glad I could make your day a little happier. (biggrin)

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

"Piece" of mind?

Was that a pun, or was it a Freudian slip? (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “"Piece" of mind? Was that a pun, or...

Hummm. What to say to the sweet Thinkerbell? It was a pun ... Peace of Mind from Boston. (hehe)(hehe)

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q5ZL8qvEmR0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SynysterGates SynysterGates

The ladies have it! (smirk2)

JanHaskell JanHaskell

In response to “The ladies have it! (smirk2)

We sure do. (clap)(clap)

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

MEN VS WO-MEN....im like my old man...give her some of my pay check and let me do as I please

RECRUIT RECRUIT

Wait a minute!

Both forms are known in Spanish, but "la computadora" gets by far the most hits on Google. (over 11 million vs less than half a million)

https://www.google.com/search?e....0.J1_6ovgBUcI

https://www.google.com/search?e....0.THmB7F_WxJI

Nevertheless, I think the women in that class were right. "La computadora" was probably coined by a bunch of Spanish male chauvinist computer programmers.

But the Germans got it right. It's der Computer or der Rechner in German, both masculine. (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Wait a minute! //Both forms// are known in...

Perfect, Thinkerbell, I can only add that, besides (la) computadora, there are also two "male" synonyms:
- (el) ordenador - IT: l'ordinatore - FR: l'ordinateur
- (el) portátil - IT: il portatile - FR: le portable

(F, M, F)
- la computadora - (but IT: il calcolatore - FR: la calculatrice)

Yes, the Germans got it all "male" - oh, wait a minute: there is a female synonym: "die Datenverarbeitungsanlage", and there is also a neutral form, like, for instance, "das Elektronen(ge)hirn", "das Rechengerät", ...

There are many more synonyms, of course.

Marianne Marianne

In response to “Perfect, Thinkerbell, I can only add that...

Yes, but the compound nouns that the Germans love so much shouldn't count, since it is a matter of chance what the gender of the last noun in the compound is. (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

In response to “Yes, but the compound nouns that the Germans...

Lol, Thinkerbell, right you are; accuracy would have recommended to use only the last nouns, like ...gerät, ...apparat, ...maschine, etc.
(biggrin) (hehe)

Marianne Marianne

Lol, an excellent one, Starz.
(hehe)(hehe)(hehe)

Marianne Marianne