Let's talk about ex-con vets.  They served our country in the military, and later committed a crime. They served for that too, now they are out of prison.  They paid their debt to society.  Should we kick them out of the country?

Yes - they are felons

Nobody :(

No - they paid their debt

TrishDW2TiffaneeWill_JanitorDiamond11

No - they are vets

RECRUITRooster

Yes - Mexican national criminals need to go

Nobody :(

Other

GunSunny_the_skeptic

TiffaneeWill_JanitorCarlaMetal_god14
Let's talk about ex-con vets. They served our country in the military, and later committed a crime. They served for that too, now they are out of prison. They paid their debt to society. Should we kick them out of the country?

No way! Especially Combat veterans! Sometimes the mind wanders after things you've seen and done. They paid their debt. Leave them be!

Rooster Rooster

Rooster Rooster

Of course not. A trip through the military , should buy a person permanent citizenship.

Carla Carla

what's the logic behind (kicking them out)?

how we send those who bare false witness against others
sent to gitmo

Judge Roy Moore Accuser Caught Scrubbing Anti-Moore, Anti-Trump Postings from her Facebook Page

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

Not sure where you are going with this one Viczinc? Need a little more back ground. if you are suggesting that if you commit a crime you should be kick out of the country then no. if your saying because they are veterans that they have already committed crime and the one they did jail time for is like a third strike then I still have to say no as long as they are U.S.citizens and did their time then they should be allowed to get on with their lives. Like I said not sure where you going with this one?

altonschwab

You are asking the question as if they are not citizens. Is that your intent?

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

They were Dreamers. Got booted from the country for being felons. See linkm

VicZinc VicZinc OP

You seem to be purposely withholding information here. Your question implies vets of this country. No mention of Mexican Nationals. But yes, Mexican national criminals need to go.

Gun Gun

In response to “You seem to be purposely withholding...

They are both. Kids raised here, joined the armed forces not citizens.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “They are both. Kids raised here, joined the...

No explanation for that whatsoever. Becoming a citizen while in the service is easier that requisitioning toilet paper.

And you have to draw a line somewhere.

Gun Gun

If they are not citizens, and committed a felony, out they go. Some foreign nationals DO join the military to stay in this country LEGALLY, and serve admirably with no future problems. I don't have a problem with those guys. They have paid their dues in my book.

What Vic is NOT telling anyone here, is that there are some foreign nationals who join our military to get training, to use against us, to commit crimes while in the military, or to get out and use those new skills for criminal purposes. Some only want the training to become more valuable to gangs. Some just go through the training and then do what they need to do to get kicked out. Some return to their own countries to teach them our combat tactics. (Not just Mexico, but Iran, Iraq, Syria and other countries.

Note that the crimes are felonies, not running a stop sign.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

What does the US do exactly with vets that have served and cant work in the army anymore for one reason or another? (honorable discharge) What career options do they have? I'm asking because from here it looks like they're just thrown out like a empty soda can. If they haven't already figured out what to do with their lives without the army what happens to them? It almost seems like some of them become felons out of desperation.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “What does the US do exactly with vets that...

It depends on the nature of why they were "forced" out. In some cases, I have known soldiers who ended up losing a limb in combat and they were given a choice of "medical retirement" with disability pay for life or a choice to remain in the military in a different job, such as an instructor. The disability pay is based on the severity of you injury. If you have a knee problem, it will be different than paralysis of your legs. If you have PTSD, it's based on the level of PTSD. These soldiers have access to the VA as well. (Not that the VA is all that great)
I've never known a disabled Vet who became a felon because of injuries on the battlefield. I've known Vets who became felons for selling drugs or living a life of crime, but you can't blame everything on the military.
There are also many companies that have programs for hiring disabled Vets.
(BTW) When you see a guy on a street corner with a sign saying "Disabled Vet", need help, it's often about as credible as watching the mainstream media.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “It depends on the nature of why they were...

Thanks for the clear up Jim, so often I see in movies jobless marines who for some reason were discharged from the army and are struggling what to do with themselves. Are there situations where they remove you without having disabilities and without doing anything bad?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Thanks for the clear up Jim, so often I see...

There are many reasons people are removed from the military for reasons other than disabilities.
Failure to meet height/weight standards.
Failure to pass a physical fitness test multiple times.
Failure to meet academic standards for your job. (Yes, there are tests throughout a persons career to insure competency)
Failure to get promoted because of continued low job performance based an annual evaluation.
Failure to be able to maintain eligibility for a security clearance (If your job requires one) due to criminal actions, i.e. DUI, mishandling of classified information, domestic assault or violence etc.
Criminal record gained while on active duty. i.e. theft, shoplifting, drug use, etc. (Not things like speeding tickets)

The military demands a standard of conduct and duty performance. Some standards are like any other civilian job and some are stricter.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “There are many reasons people are removed...

You have lots of knowledge on this topic, did you serve in the army?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “You have lots of knowledge on this topic, did...

30 years.... and still work for the Department of the Army.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “30 years.... and still work for the...

Damn Jim, you didn't tell me you were a soldier, at your age you must have been in service during the Vietnam war, the only thing I can picture is a chopper soaring with fortunate son in the background (biggrin)

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Damn Jim, you didn't tell me you were a...

Yeah, I'm one of the old ones. Enlisted in Jan 72 as an infantryman. (I did not go to Viet Nam though. Half of my Advanced Infantry Training company did though. I was too young, only 17) Over the years, I did end up pulling a number of combat tours in other countries though. I never thought I had it as bad as those who served as a grunts in Nam though.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Yeah, I'm one of the old ones. Enlisted in...

Yeah I did a little search up and by my accounts I figured that you were catching the very last years of the conflict. I'm glad you retired alive and well from the army,

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Yeah I did a little search up and by my...

Me too. LOL
While the war officially ended in 75, for the most part, they quit sending troops in 73. I got my orders for Viet Nam when I turned 18, in Jan 73, but a few weeks later they were revoked and I stayed in Germany. Being young, stupid and a grunt, I'd volunteered.
There are a couple of "studs" on this site who did serve in Viet Nam.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Me too. LOL While the war officially ended in...

You were young and patriotic, it's understandable why you'd jump right back in the fray. Can't imagine an actual battlefield, it's so easy in video games where you're not the one getting shot.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “You were young and patriotic, it's...

LOL... We all had our reasons.
I had one brother in Nam in 68-69, another in Korea in 68-69. My Dad and all his brothers were in WWII. My oldest son is in. It's just something some families do.

Maybe they could come up with an interactive video game where you have to put stick-on wires to various parts of your body that would shock you like a taser to simulate getting hit. That would be fun to watch. In some training I've been through, they have knives that have a blunt edge but the edge is actually a taser, so it feels like you are getting cut. Interesting training.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “LOL... We all had our reasons. I had one...

That's almost a reality Jim, VR is getting more and more advanced, Im sure they will put it to use in combat training if it isn't being used already. For now at least I'm playing this super awesome game that is as real as you can get and have fun too, it's called Ghost Recon Wildlands. I really like it because it's really hard to remain undetected, suppressors don't magically make your gun silent, as well as you have to calculate how much to compensate your shot with a sniper rifle depending on the distance and so on.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “That's almost a reality Jim, VR is getting...

They are already using it in training. The last training I did like that was with a private company that contracts out to certain elements in the military and military civilians. Some courses are available to other civilians as well. It's CRI out of Las Vegas. Check it out. <s> http://critraining.com/

We have used indoor simulator ranges for a lot of years for rifle practice. Those are still fun.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Oops! What do you know? Vic posted a story without all the relevant facts!

Is that the only way you can sell your ideas Vic?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Oops! What do you know? Vic posted a story...

"All" relevant facts? What is relevant to you might not be relevant to me.

There's a link that covers pretty much everything I know about this story.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “"All" relevant facts? What is...

I see. Were you aware that these men entered the country illegally? And maybe that had something to do with them being deported? How could that possibly be irrelevant?

Face it Vic - you have an agenda and once again you've purposely tried to deceive the good people of Amirite. Shame on you!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I see. Were you aware that these men entered...

It was clearly stated in the link I provided. What is your problem?

It is a simple question, and as usual you did not answer it. Is that because the answer in your heart makes you hate yourself? WWJD?

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “It was **clearly** stated in the link I...

Jesus would smack you upside the head and tell you firmly to stop being deceitful! YOUR headline, YOUR explanation does NOT include the FACT that these men had entered the country illegally. Your intent is clearly to misdirect.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Jesus would smack you upside the head and...

And yours is to troll me and avoid answering the question.

VicZinc VicZinc OP

In response to “And yours is to troll me and avoid answering...

I DID respond to your questions.
Both of them.
1) What is your problem?

Answer - " YOUR headline, YOUR explanation does NOT include the FACT that these men had entered the country illegally. Your intent is clearly to misdirect."

2) WWJD?
Answer - Jesus would smack you upside the head and tell you firmly to stop being deceitful!

Maybe you just don't read so good!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I DID respond to your questions. Both of...

Avoiding the question
Should we kick them out of the country?

VicZinc VicZinc OP

Id rather our country help out our vets than the dead beats that we are bringing in here...and the dead beats that are already here

RECRUIT RECRUIT