Remember when it was polite to address a crowd as “ladies and gentlemen?” Now it is considered a "non-inclusive" phrase. I'm getting a little tired of this ridiculousness.

• Topics:PeopleCommon SenseGender
  • Featured on the home page on Nov 12th 2017
  • Post Of The Day on Nov 14th 2017

DarSunny_the_skepticLil_PrincessDandyDonGunSynysterGatesRoosterJustJimColoQuizzyHunkiePiper2ozzyboyBozetteDW2BrianlLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredBudwickWill_Janitor

TiffaneeBub

Lil_PrincessDandyDonBozetteWill_JanitorRoosterSynysterGatesQuizzyHunkie

Explained by Dar...

From the article..."Remember when it was polite to address a crowd as “ladies and gentlemen?” Apparently, the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority has a different view; NYC Transit staffers have been instructed to eschew using “ladies and gentleman” and utilize non-gendered words such as "passengers," "riders," and "everyone," in their announcements, according to the New York Post. which reported the missive to the employees read, “Please don’t use any greeting other than these.” Just in case employees thought no one will be watching them too closely, MTA reportedly sent a memo to its employees warning that "line managers and train service supervisors will be monitoring them" for compliance with the new policy. Not only is the MTA instructing its employees to change their live verbiage, audio recordings of “ladies and gentlemen are being updated, which means that until the changes are implemented, operators will have to manually override the system and make the announcements themselves. An MTA spokesperson said that gender issues were involved in the decision."

I am a woman. I respond to the following: girl, woman, lady, ma'am, mama, nanna and occasionally..wench get me a beer.

Dar Dar OP

Dar Dar OP

I also hear that people in the UK can't say pregnant women anymore, now it's pregnant people.

Well hello there pregnant individual of nonbinary **** or gender with an uncertain sexual orientation that I must not confuse or otherwise will be crucified on the PC cross, how are you today?

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I also hear that people in the UK can't say...

The good old days...I'm a girl I have a ** and I'm a boy I have a **. Nowadays, you can offend a multitude of "individuals" you didn't even know existed.

Dar Dar OP

In response to “The good old days...I'm a girl I have a ****...

You did not include the fact that I identify myself as a tri gender Halaxian Lich-lord from the C-137 dimension despite me not telling you that but you're criminal and a bigot and deserve to be in jail! How dare you not tiptoe around me and my feelings no matter how logic-defiant they are!

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “You did not include the fact that I identify...

You know...I am literally laughing out loud right now.

Dar Dar OP

In response to “http://data.amirite.net/user_images/5a0850f46a9...

Do you need a hankie...

Dar Dar OP

In response to “Do you need a...

I need my safe space(biggrin)

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I need my safe space(biggrin)

Oh muffin...

Dar Dar OP

In response to “Oh...

You are a cultist racist supporter! Shame on you for using the color white for that loony room! I demand it to be multi race!

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “You are a cultist racist supporter! Shame on...

Standard loony room and straight jacket accessories...white.

I suggest a march against the loony bin industry demanding equality for loonies of all ethnicities and/or gender "types".

Dar Dar OP

In response to “Standard loony room and straight jacket...

You know I can't wear white because I constantly drip spill and cut myseld thus destroying white clothing, Maybe hospitals of the looney sort should make them all in black to keep the dirt from showing :)

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

sunny -- Too bad for you you have no idea what who or when you are.

In response to “sunny -- Too bad for you you have no idea...

I didn't quite get that.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Men are never pregnant, it is the female that has to do the work so the man deserves NO recognition.

In response to “Men are never pregnant, it is the female that...

I don't think any normal person would argue with you about that Lorraine, but you see in this modern age of offendedness, some people get offended and whine. Supposedly this is not about men, believe me no man would push for this, as far as I know it's about trans people who are biological females but identify as males and they are offended that they're not included and demand the term " pregnant person "

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

The world is going nuts.When I was teaching I only had girls and boys in the class.Wonder what I'd have now?a class of non gender specific children?

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

In response to “The world is going nuts.When I was teaching...

Funny you should mention that...

Maths tutor suspended after praising pupil using the wrong gender
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news...#ixzz4yDXdz6pz

Dar Dar OP

In response to “Funny you should mention that... Maths tutor...

That kid is being set up for a life of hurt. she/he better get used to it, there will be real life when people will call IT whatever IT looks to be. Wanna be seen as a girl wear a dress wanna be seen as a boy crew cut and pants.

Probably just easier to address a crowd by....." Alright ****!".

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “Probably just easier to address a crowd...

At least everyone has that. Or do they....

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “At least everyone has that. Or do they....

I sure hope so...but you're right, someone will probably argue about it..

DandyDon DandyDon

In response to “I sure hope so...but you're right, someone...

You can get offended by absolutely anything as long as you want to.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Ya know I am all supportive if "Marvin" wants to change his gender and lifestyle and "Eat, Drink, and be Mary" but I will be damned if I change the way I talk for it. If someone doesn't like it, here is a box of tissues. (ono)

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

In response to “Ya know I am all supportive if...

And I agree! Here we go again copping to the demands of the few.

Dar Dar OP

So what?
Get over it. It used to be ok to say a lot of things. Until we realize that some people find a phrase offensive it is OK to say, once we discover it is offensive we should stop.

Language evolves. My grandparents called Brazil Nut "n..... toes" they don't any more. They didn't understand at first why it was offensive. I used to play cowboys and Indians. Now I say "natives".

You know what? It is a pain in the **. But what in life is not a pain on the **? If someone was calling me something I found offensive, like for example 'lib tard' I would want it to stop. I get that they find it inconvenient to stop calling me that, oh well I am not going to stop being offended, so they can continue to purposefully hurt my feelings (called being an cad) and I will continue to be uncomfortable when they do.

I, a long time ago started saying "folks" instead of 'ladies' or 'gentlemen' or the dreaded 'guys'.

Good evening folks, I am here to tell you how I really feel....

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “So what? Get over it. It used to be ok to...

I don't think anyone objects for things that are actually offensive like the n word or indians, a misconception that still goes on or libtard or whatever. Dar means this crazy ultra PC fad where you might see a nice little kid and go " Hey little boy, how are you?" And be under fire for calling it a boy therefor forcing a gender role on it, or my example with the pregnant women person now that people take offense for only including women.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I don't think anyone objects for things that...

Similar argument my grandpa made when he was told to stop using the 'n' word.

It seems ridiculous to us, but someone is offend or they would not complain. Once I become aware that I am being offensive, even if I don't get why, I stop. I might feel frustrated, but I stop.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Similar argument my grandpa made when he was...

I don't think you can compare the 2. A word specifically intended to express hatred towards a race of people and a word that recently became offensive where the word itself has never had a negative meaning. But if this is where you stand I respect that. You are willing to change yourself in order not to displease others no matter what you personally think and that's nice of you.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I don't think you can compare the 2. A word...

Thanks.

I never hated 'Indians' but some found that word offensive.

I don't get it either, "men and women" seems inclusive and non judgemental to me. To my grandpa the n-word was descriptive not derogatory.

But what can I do? If you told me that you didn't like being called StS I wouldn't call you that.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Thanks. I never hated 'Indians' but some...

It really depends on the intention of the word rather than saying it at all. In Latin and I think Italian and Spanish the word negro simply means black that's where the so feared negro word comes from. I oppose all of this because it's giving power to stupid words to run over our lives and liberty, if one means to be offensive they don't need those words to offend others, we can ban %50 of the English language and still there will be a way to offend people. Instead of censoring people the focus should be on the intentions instead rather the words.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “It really depends on the intention of the...

I agree. I can't control how others react to my words. I can control which words I choose to use. Having observed the reactions of others to my words, I then choose: do I want to keep getting that reaction, or do I want to change my words and get a different reaction.

Likewise, I have little control over my gut-reaction to other's words. I can try not to react negatively to certain words - and have successfully - but there is still that initial twinge when I hear them before my brain has time to shrug it off. So when I am confronted by someone who refuses to stop using those words in my presence, I sometimes choose to avoid them. Some will say 'good! step away while I continue to use the words I want' while others will say, 'it's easy enough to stop saying that, please come closer and we can be friends.'

VicZinc VicZinc

To each their own VicZinc. I suspect the "some people" are far fewer than the "folks" who use terms of generality.

And I've never been one to use derogatory terms.

Dar Dar OP

In response to “To each their own VicZinc. I suspect the...

I have experienced it where I just don't get how or why it is offensive, but I stop saying it because somehow it is offensive.

VicZinc VicZinc

Here's the problem and it needs to be removed from society. :-)

Quizzy Quizzy

Boohoo. You're not gonna hear "Ladies and Gentleman" any more when you take an MTA train (which I'm sure you do allllll the time (un)) . Your life must be in shambles. God forbid people who don't consider themselves male or female get respected in this world, that'd be the end of the world.

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

In response to “Boohoo. You're not gonna hear "Ladies and...

WoW....strike a nerve. It is more of a lament.

Dar Dar OP

Do you really think they give a shit? They really are offended and would rather be addressed as folks? Personally, I think I could find a few more important things to **** about if I couldn't figure out what gender I wanted to be. JMHO.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Do you really think they give a shit? They...

So you think they should dial it back because you, whom this doesn't affect whatsoever, think it's unnecessary? What's the harm in doing it? there are a lot of other things to complain about, but how does that make changing this a bad thing? Some people greatly appreciate that a large company is going out of their way to respect them and acknowledge them when sooooo many people don't. Why are you so opposed to them being represented, can't *you* find more important things to complain about?

Sidenote: you should be banned from talking about this unless you live in New York City. This only affects us.

Skr3wBall Skr3wBall

In response to “So you think they should dial it back because...

That's interesting. I should be banned from talking about this because I don't live in NYC. Ha Ha! I don't know how old you are, but I was riding subways in NYC from the late 60's on. My wife was born in Manhattan and we visit family there fairly often. I am not complaining about anything. I don't care if you want to be called cabbages. It really makes no friggin difference to me. I'm just entertained by what you seem to think is respectful and important in life. Now I'll try and go find something important to complain about. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Great post. I don't call them anything because to me, in my world, they do not exist.

Hunkie Hunkie

I mean, is saying "distinguished guests" or whatever instead of "ladies and gentlemen" hurting anyone in any way?

DWF DWF

Who cares, another person making a mountain out of a mole hill. We have much bigger issues to contend with.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Who cares, another person making a mountain...

I agree, but which side in this one is making the mountain?

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I agree, but which side in this one is making...

Don't know, the world has gone nuts.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Whatever happened to the term "Democratic Party''? Why do we increasingly hear the term "Democrat Party"?

Bub Bub

In response to “Whatever happened to the term "Democratic...

The "ic" doesn't seem to fit anymore Bub.

Dar Dar OP

In response to “The "ic" doesn't seem to fit anymore Bub.

Sez who, Dar? Who made this determination? I don't hear those actually in the Democratic Party saying it...

Bub Bub

Democratic

dem·o·crat·ic
ˌdeməˈkradik/
adjective
adjective: democratic; adjective: Democratic

1. relating to or supporting democracy or its principles.

The word doesn't match the party.

Budwick Budwick

Change the message of the dep./arr. screen they can all comprehend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXTxoPFmL0k

Freeranger Freeranger

I DO! As far as I know, crowds often still are, whether all those in the audience quite fit the various definitions of the words, or not.

I think it's getting a bit ridiculous too, this proper words for gender identity thing. When it comes to referring to individuals as a "he" or she" when they feel they've been born as the wrong one, I'm fine with it. Making about a big deal about how crowds of people are addressed, is a whole different thing.

Piper2 Piper2

The march toward 1984 and a homogeneous population is getting faster and faster. Are the hunger games very far away?

ozzyboy ozzyboy

It often seems nigh impossible to not offend someone these days. I generally do not intentionally offend...nor will I accede to demands I redefine reality or even pretend to do so. When it gets to that point, I concur with DandyDon's solution.

Bozette Bozette

“Welcome all those who do or don’t have ****!” Enjoy the show!

DW2 DW2

In response to ““Welcome all those who do or...

That might work.

Dar Dar OP

I think that Ladies and Gentleman is fine Dar.
I also think it should be down to each individual (no matter their Born Gender identity) to see themselves as either a Lady or a Gentleman.

As it has been since Adam & Eve.

When a Child agonizes through their own Puberty , they are not fantasizing about being Transgender , they are at times choosing Life or Death because they do not feel they are the Gender they were Born as.

Never have I known a Transgender who did not want to be seen as either a Man or a Woman.

this is getting too **** up for words in my opinion.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

none of this suprises me. We started down the rabit hole decades ago. It is only going to get worse.

Brianl Brianl

Who are they not including? There are only women and men, if you are in between you still think of yourself as "something"

In my opinion, everyone should just shut up. Why bother making any anouncements? If they don't know where they are going they shouldn't be on the friggin train. One of the biggest complaints people have in life is that nobody tells them what's going on. Well maybe they should stop complaining about how someone is trying to tell them what is going on. JMHO.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor