How can I improve my sleeping pattern (see details)?

Lil_PrincessTiffaneeOzSurferCarlaMetal_god14

Explained by Thibault...

Hello amirite. It's been a while since I've posted here. Recently I started attending a four-year-college, relocated to another state, and the entire pattern of my life is greatly different from the way it was for the past 18 years. A new room, a new bed, a new lifestyle, new stresses...it's all exciting, but it's all combined to throw things off with me internally. I've gotten into a pattern now where I have no problem falling asleep initially, but I wake up in the early morning (around 5, about three hours earlier than I'd like to awaken) and am unable to get back to sleep! The whole thing is proving very frustrating and depressing to me. What's perplexing to me especially is the fact that I don't seem to feel tired much during the day. It is possible that, with me going to be bed at around 12, that 6 hours of sleep is simply enough for me now? I'm used to getting 8-9. Now I can't seem to get more than 6. Any advice is appreciated. Good to see everyone again :)

Don't worry about it.I would love six hours sleep.Never get anywhere near that much.

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

My advice to you is to not worry about it. It's natural for your system to react to the drastic changes you are experiencing. When you settle in, get comfortable, used to your new surroundings and schedule, your body will demand from you what it needs.

Carla Carla

In response to “My advice to you is to not worry about it...

Thank you. It’s hard not to worry about it, but I’m going to try. I think there have just been too many changes all at once.

Thibault Thibault OP

I am older but I have exactly the same problem as you. I always wake up at 4:30 - 5am after 6 hours of sleep. It's like when I was younger I could stay asleep until I was completely rested, but now I only sleep through the period of exhaustion or feeling very tired and once I get through that - around six hours of sleep, I'm awake. I feel ok initially but mid afternoon I'm feeling tired. I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I am older but I have exactly the same...

Ive suffered with sleep issues, too, for years. But when i was thibaults age, 6 hours was all i often needed. When i pushed it, i would sleep for 10 hours. I would relish 6 full hours of sleep now. I feel fortunate when i get 3 hours of uninterupted sleep.
He states that he doesnt suffer from afternoon crashes. I think his system will even out, and his body will tell him.

Carla Carla

In response to “Ive suffered with sleep issues, too, for...

That's interesting, because when I was his age I was having at least 9 hours a night and thought I'd be like that forever. Wow you only get 3 hours of straight sleep now? I have experienced that but only when I'm really stressed about something before going to sleep. My doctor said try more exercise, and I already do a lot, so I tried more but that actually disrupted my sleep due to muscular pain. I'd love to sleep 8 hours a night again (sad) I'm glad he doesn't get afternoon crashes.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “That's interesting, because when I was his...

Ahhh. The stamina of youth, no?
Physical issues is a big part of my problem. Discomfort makes staying alsleep difficult. I do quite enough, physically, which should produce better sleep. But, my world isnt perfect and ive learned to deal with it.
An afternoon nap would be welcome, and i have the opportunity, on the norm, to attempt that. But...naps dont happen, so after many, many attempts, i have given up on the effort.
Here it is almost 1:30 am. I will go to bed in a bit. Sleep till around 5am. Get up, wander around, take a hot bath. Then maybe catch another hour or two after my bath. But, i cant find that deep sleep. Awakedness seems to be, always, hovering right at the surface.
Just classic insomnia.
It has become a very common thing, these days:[

Carla Carla

In response to “Ahhh. The stamina of youth, no? Physical...

I can totally relate to what you mean about finding that deep sleep. I used to love that when I was younger. I remember when I was 15 and the deep sleep was like anesthetic, even shaking me wouldn't wake me up. Now I get woken up by the slightest sound, so i often wear ear plugs as I live near a freeway, and sometimes sleep with some white noise in the background. There is one thing that gives me that deep sleep and leaves me feeling great the next day after maybe 8 or so hours sleep, and that's a sleeping tablet, but those things should be avoided on a regular basis, and even intermittent long term use isn't good, so my quest, like for many, for a natural solution continues.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I can totally relate to what you mean about...

Well dallas, for yourself, i would try a way to reduce your stress, and find yourself a woman. I believe that should be your quest, because i think that is what you desire and deserve.

But...you can tell me that im full of shit:]

Carla Carla

In response to “Well dallas, for yourself, i would try a way...

I could tell you that Carla... but, I'd be wrong (hehe) because you are right and as observant as usual (biggrin) ... so thanks for the advice.. it's what I'd been thinking too :)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I could tell you that Carla... but, I'd be...

If you want it, you will find it, my friend.;)

Carla Carla

I do wonder about exercise. After a summer of exercising regularly (mostly bike riding), I have now essentially stopped exercising entirely, due to the colder weather.

Nonetheless I slept much better last night :)

Thibault Thibault OP

In response to “I do wonder about exercise. After a summer of...

When I was a teen I could go for huge long runs or bike rides and sleep for hours, but I've found as I've got older a lot of aerobic exercise keeps me awake. However I have found that doing no aerobic exericse over a couple of weeks and instead doing a 5 or 6 gym work outs just lifting weights does make me sleep better... not perfectly but the difference is noticable.

Glad you slept better last night, actually I did too for a change :)

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

Sounds like the stress and excitement from new things is still keeping on to you. I had a similar situation where I woke up at 5 and couldnt fall asleep, my best bet was that I'd fall asleep after 7 if the TV was on. It shoud wear off eventually. I do value my sleep now we tend to start university early.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

If it's not effecting you in a negative way, then don't worry about it.

If it is effecting you in a negative way, or a way you are uncomfortable with, then try to exercise more, get your body tired out and it should rest more. Also maybe listen to relaxing music, noises... some like to listen to music while they sleep...

As a last resort (only if you have to) there are some over the counter meds that help you sleep more... BUT they can have some seriously negative side effects as well... but I know sometimes my body's internal clock get out of wack and I want to sleep all day and be awake all night, and I either have to stay up 24 hours to get me sleepy at night, or take a med to make me go to sleep... which I was told to take an hour ahead of when I planned to go to sleep and try to make sure I have 9 hours of sleep to shake it off it possible.

Zolfie Zolfie

I wish I had some good advice for ya. I spent the last 25 years having insomnia and nightmares that caused me to get 2-4 hours a sleep at night. Some weeks I would be up for 4 days straight. I have been on every sleeping pill there has been and some made it worse than others but nothing could make me sleep.

Now I get sleepy at a normal time and I sleep peacefully and have for several months now. Sometimes I sleep way to much because my body seems to be trying to play catch up after years of not sleeping which is kinda frustrating.

I think new experiences can change our sleep patterns. Maybe after some time and you get adjusted things will go back to normal.

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

Get laid once in awhile it'll knock your **** right out

symplycurious symplycurious

If you are functioning ok then I wouldn't worry, if you get up early you could try having a piece of toast and a warm drink and going back to bed, even laying there resting is beneficial.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

Sleep with head facing East. Seriously.

DW2 DW2

In response to “Sleep with head facing East. Seriously.

Configuration of my room only allows north. Oh well.

Thibault Thibault OP

In response to “Configuration of my room only allows north...

North is apparently the worst.

DW2 DW2