What is the last non-fiction book you read and how did you like it?

TiffaneeBozetteOzSurferazlottoZonkeyBallsRoosterMetal_god14

Explained by Thibault...

Disregarding college texts, the lass non-fiction work I read purely for pleasure was Stephen Greenblatt's "The Rise and Fall of Adam and Eve", which traces the history and legacy of the Adam and Eve story from Genesis. Fascinating work that incorporated the story of St. Augustine, Milton's Paradise Lost, and modern scientific ideas about the origin of man. Highly recommended!

I really like biographies and auto biographies, so the last one I would have read was Elon Musk's. Incredible reading, and I love his vision for the future as well as his passion for technology. Amazing guy.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

OzSurfer OzSurfer

In response to “I really like biographies and auto...

I’d like to read that one too. He’s supposed to have announced his Tesla truck idea today.

Thibault Thibault OP

In response to “I’d like to read that one too...

Oh I didn't know that, I'll have to catch up on the news, thanks!

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I can't remember the exact title, which is the reason, why I cannot produce a proper link to the product. I do assume it still exists, in a form or another, although the book was an old one. I can tell you the shape of it was book-like, with probably about 600+ pages and it was yellowish brownish, with grayscale images to illustrate the points. It was a book on the art of game design. I still have it, although not at hand, and to be completely precise, it's not even my own book. I have just had it as a borrowed good for about eleven years by now.

I quite liked the writing style, which was light-hearted and didn't put too much emphasis on the technical side of the issue, but was more concentrated to the idealism behind computer game design. A very well written book, in rather nicely written English. The topics were clear and easy to understand. The author knew what was important and what wasn't. He didn't want to impress, only offering the healthy advices for beginners like me, using various video games as examples to learn from.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

Invisible Darkness by Stephen Williams (1996)

True crime with a couple of strange twists. The serial kidnapping, imprisonment, raping, and murdering was carried out by a young married couple, known in Canada as the "Ken and Barbie killers". Interesting simply because this is not the type of story one might expect from suburban Ontario, but also for the stark differences in both our criminal justice systems and the idea of a "free press". Not only was the press muzzled there, border bans of American publications were instituted. A truly disturbing story on multiple levels.

Bozette Bozette

Probably this one as the writer adds a fictional character here and there but the story is real and true! Non fiction at it's best!The things those Marines had to go through in that frozen hell!

Rooster Rooster

Too many to choose.

GenerallySpeaking GenerallySpeaking

I finished "Killing England" a few weeks ago. Fascinating history and so much to learn. As a result I picked up more books on the Revolution and the combatants on both sides.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

Okay, call me weird, but I'm studying the traditional methods of food preservation:

azlotto azlotto

In response to “Okay, call me weird, but I'm studying the...

HA... I have several books on food preservation as well.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “HA... I have several books on food...

Either of you will have to show me how to stock my shelves -
I'll leave my porch light on for you (biggrin)

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “Either of you will have to show me how to...

It's a lot of work, but well worthy and I find it enjoyable.

Bozette Bozette

These go back years when I was all into reading political non-fiction: Confessions Of An Economic Hitman (Perkins); Worse Than Watergate (Dean); The New Pearl Harbor (Griffin); Where The Right Went Wrong (Buchanan).

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “These go back years when I was all into...

I've read excerpts from two of those and have tbem on my wish list.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I've read excerpts from two of those and have...

I ripped through Confessions and hated finishing it - well, it was my first political non-fiction but still the author's skill drew me in with easy persistence. As for my second choice of the four, I think I remember it being The New Pearl Harbor. I hope you'll enjoy the two you've selected :D

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “I ripped through Confessions and hated...

Those are the two.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Those are the two.

Great minds, etc. lol

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne