The Keystone Pipeline has just leaked 210,000 gallons of oil on agricultural lands in South Dakota.  Should this administration permit the Keystone XL Pipeline to proceed?

Yes

DW2BudwickBozettehootowlJustJimColo

No

VicZincPiper2TiffaneeStarzAboveRooster

Maybe

ThibaultSynysterGates

Other

Nobody :(

Piper2TiffaneeStarzAboveBozetteCarlaRoosterSynysterGatesMetal_god14
The Keystone Pipeline has just leaked 210,000 gallons of oil on agricultural lands in South Dakota. Should this administration permit the Keystone XL Pipeline to proceed?

Explained by Linnster...

The Obama Administration rejected the pipeline, but the Trump Administration gave it the go-ahead. State officials claim that they don't believe the leak polluted any surface water bodies or drinking water systems. What about the damage from the crude oil seeping into the ground? https://www.yahoo.com/news/keystone-pipeline-leaks-210k-gallons-230601176.html

I made a post about this when i first came here. I was very against it then. Now, more so.

Carla Carla

No! I know some people who live in South Dakota and they are totally against it. Some piss poor quality control to hurry up and finish everything. Yes, that crude seeping into the ground will eventually cause some serious problems!

Rooster Rooster

I'm going to have to say yes, and the reason is Alberta's economy depends on it and the money they invested before Obama canned it.

They need to put it on hold until they can fix the issue and have the pipeline checked for any major/minor upgrades.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

No. There will always be leaks, people can't stop it. Those that say yes to go ahead, I wonder if they would say YES, if it was in their backyards.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “No. There will always be leaks, people...

The American's need to invest in fixing the pipeline, just like Alberta did. Invest in something that has a good ROI, is a smart idea.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “The American's need to invest in fixing the...

Isn't Trans Canada the owner of the pipeline? If they are, it's their responsibility to fix it and to maintain it and correct any damage that was caused.

Linnster Linnster OP

In response to “Isn't Trans Canada the owner of the...

i think TC pipelines is the majority owner. Yes, they should fix the problem NO QUESTION. But knowing Trudeau and his dysfunctional cabinet, they won't do a thing, because we are broke.

Trump and Trudeau should fix this problem ASAP.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “i think TC pipelines is the majority owner...

The double T's should fix the problem but they won't, it would cost too much money. In my opinion of course.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “The double T's should fix the problem but...

Agree 100% but we are BROKE. Trudeau gave some of that money $10.5-million payment to Omar Khadr, you know to help out a terrorist. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Agree 100% but we are BROKE. Trudeau gave...

What's wrong with these leaders, are they governing while stoned?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “What's wrong with these leaders, are they...

Afraid not. At least if they were governing while stoned, I could accept the poor decisions.

Linnster Linnster OP

Probably, I'm pretty sure our PM smoked way too much when he was young, it's clouding his judgement. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Probably, I'm pretty sure our PM smoked way...

I'll take your word for it, I have no knowledge of what your guy does or didn't do. lol

I'll give Trump credit if he says is true, he doesn't smoke or drink. He just acts stupid on his own.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I think Trump should be made to eat whatever agricultural produce comes from the land where the oil spilled.

Linnster Linnster OP

In response to “I think Trump should be made to eat whatever...

Good idea. He sure wouldn't want any pipeline running through any of his golf courses, would he?

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I agree, but nothing is fool proof and there will always be leaks, when pipes get old....it happens. We can't even keep our roads in good repair.

I sure wouldn't want that thing in my back yard, what if there is a major fire like in California, the whole town would blow up. It's too risky. In my opinion of course.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I agree, but nothing is fool proof and there...

It's not going into California, it goes to Houston and It's still under construction, but yeah it needs to be full proof. Again it's worth the investment, geez both leaders spend money on things that are unimportant,

Specifically Trudeau ...ya ya Trump too.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “It's not going into California, it goes to...

I know, I just gave California fires as an example. I wonder what would have happened if it was finished and in Houston when the floods roared in. That couldn't have been good for a pipe line....probably rust a lot sooner.

They do spend money foolishly in my opinion, like millions on week end trips.... it's crazy. That money could be spend to GOOD use, like the pipeline or inner structure. Our bridges are crumbling and the roads aren't in good shape either.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Carla Carla

In response to “I made a post about this when i first came...

I agree with you.

Linnster Linnster OP

I agree. But as usual Trump had to approve it only because Obama stopped it. Trump doesn't care a fig about Americans, he's all about revenge against Obama.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I agree. But as usual Trump had to approve...

Of that I have no doubt.

Linnster Linnster OP

In response to “Of that I have no doubt.

Oh well...as the first commenter on the link said:

"No problem. Trump will throw paper towels at it."

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Oh well...as the first commenter on the link...

Yes - he's pretty good at that. :)

Linnster Linnster OP

Officials don't believe the leak affected any surface water bodies or threatened any drinking water systems from the spill onto agricultural land, said Brian Walsh, an environmental scientist manager at the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources, which has dispatched a staff member to the site.

"Ultimately, the cleanup responsibility lies with TransCanada, and they'll have to clean it up in compliance with our state regulations," Walsh said.

The pipeline transports crude from Alberta, Canada, to refineries in Illinois and Oklahoma, passing through the eastern Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri. It can handle nearly 600,000 barrels, or about 23 million gallons, daily. TransCanada says on its website that the company has safely transported more than 1.5 billion barrels of oil, or about 63 billion gallons, through the system since operations began in 2010. [I don't understand the dates on the report - I thought Obama had a strangle hold on the project.]

But, the pipeline moves 23 million gallons daily. Certainly the democrat vultures have been waiting for the inevitable accident - and it happened. The leak is relatively small, is being addressed and cleaned up.

By the way, Al Franken scandal was not covered by the oil spill.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Officials don't believe the leak affected any...

Well...that 210k gallons sure didnt make it safely. And, they dont "think" it will be an issue. Of course it's an issue.
Let's see how you would like even 10 gallons of crude spilled in your yard.
And canada will pay for this mess, just like mexico is gonna pay for that wall.

By the way, the oil spill is not as catastaphoric (sp.?) as the dirty, scummy, nasty, greasy film that has encased this nation since trumps inaugeration.

Carla Carla

In response to “Well...that 210k gallons sure didnt make it...

I simply put it in perspective dear Carla.

Your last remark was simply rage - it doesn't look good on you.

Budwick Budwick

Forgive me if I'm reluctant to take what officials say as gospel. If you recall, they said the air at Ground Zero was ok to breathe, they said Agent Orange wasn't a problem, etc.

Linnster Linnster OP

The pipeline is already operational from Canada to Texas. The leak occurred in a portion of the pipeline that has been in operation since 2010. Only phase 4 was put on hold under Obama, was given the go under Trump, but still needs approval from Nebraska.

Bozette Bozette

At this point it's up to the Nebraska PSC whether the Keystone XL is built. Personally I don't want to see it constructed, and the kinds of leaks that occur on these pipelines are part of the reason why. The Keystone XL should certainly not be built on Native American lands either.

Thibault Thibault

In response to “At this point it's up to the Nebraska PSC...

Does Nebraska have the final say?

Linnster Linnster OP

In response to “Does Nebraska have the final say?

They do, apparently. The Nebraska Public Services Commission is the last regulatory body that needs to approve the Keystone XL project; it has already passed the other hurdles. The Nebraska PSC is supposed to announce their decision on Monday, according to the New York Times.

Thibault Thibault

In response to “They do, apparently. The Nebraska Public...

I'll be interested to see what they decide in light of this latest spill.

Linnster Linnster OP

DAPL has already had 3 leaks. Small ones but . . .
Another Trans-Canada engineering masterpiece.

urwutuis urwutuis

From looking at some of the responses, a person might think this oil spill is the most dangerous ecological disaster in 50 years. There have been oil ecological disasters much worse than this in recent years. Does the fact that this one happened while Trump is president make it worse than the ones under Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc etc.?
Here is a list of oil disasters. (Including 27 that were in the US under Obama's watch, and many that were much worse than the current incident)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Where does oil come from? Answer: The GROUND

Don't be fooled by left wing hysteria.

GenerallySpeaking GenerallySpeaking

In response to “Where does oil come from? Answer: The...

It comes from DEEP in the ground, beneath where you would plant crops and possibly below ground water.

Linnster Linnster OP

In response to “It comes from DEEP in the ground, beneath...

Din't you watch the documentary, "The Beverly Hillbilly's?"
"Up through the ground came a bubbling crude. Oil that is, black gold."

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Is there any doubt that oil is toxic ? Using oil and nuclear is suicide. Forget GW, what about the rest?
We haven't even gotten over Valdiz not to mention DWH.
The technology exists, it's cheaper than oil, it creates jobs and it's the future of energy.
Does it make sense to keep handing millions to the oil industry every year so they can continue to poison everything?

urwutuis urwutuis

I think the benefits of this Keystone XL shortcut pipeline are greatly exaggerated, and the downside of the environmental impact dismissed in a concerning way. The tar sands oil is very corrosive, and I do not believe undergrounds pipes can be legitimately defended as the best way to transport it.

Piper2 Piper2

Unless/until people deign to quit driving, traveling, ordering things online/delivered, buying those cheap Chinese-made products, using plastic, etc. and begin growing and manufacturing everything needed and desired locally and without using motorized vehicles and equipment, a great deal of oil must be transported. No means of transport is 100% foolproof. Accidents, equipment failures, human errors, and natural disturbances happen. Given the sheer number and length of pipelines (see below), they do not result in the type or number of dire predictions I hear regarding the two controversial projects on deck, which will incorporate the latest leak detection technology and should therefore be far safer than many existing pipelines.

The maps linked below only show major lines, btw, not the gas lines that run to a great percentage of homes and businesses across the country, the underground fuel tanks at homes, business, and gas stations, or indeed, all the abandoned underground tanks.

The United States has the largest network of energy pipelines in the world, with more than 2.4 million miles of pipe.

The network of crude oil pipelines in the U.S. is extensive. There are approximately 72,000 miles of crude oil lines in the U.S. that connect regional markets.

http://www.pipeline101.com/Wher...elines-Located

Interactive down to county level:

https://pvnpms.phmsa.dot.gov/PublicViewer/

Bozette Bozette

Gee, what a surprise. A pipeline leak.
Who could have seen this coming?
What's next, flying planes into buildings?
In case anyone has any doubt, almost nothing actually gets cleaned up. Covered up would be more accurate.

urwutuis urwutuis

In response to “Gee, what a surprise. A pipeline leak. Who...

Can't argue with you there.

Linnster Linnster OP

Well, it appears that Kansas has approved the Keystone XL pipeline, but I suspect there will be some legal wrangling before they can start.

Linnster Linnster OP

SureWhy not.There have been a lot of leaks in washington and there still leaking.

hootowl hootowl