Do you only eat when you're hungry?

Piper2TiffaneeStarzAboveOzSurferWill_JanitorThinkerbellRoosterMetal_god14
Do you only eat when you're hungry?

Explained by Thibault...

I seem to not notice that I haven't eaten until my stomach aches with hunger. I don't like to eat at scheduled times. I prefer to only eat when I'm hungry. But this can be inconvenient (and not possible) for some.

Yes.

I will stave myself for hours before finally eating. I never eat breakfast and sometimes don't eat lunch either.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

Yes.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Yes. I will stave myself for hours before...

I have trouble eating breakfast because I'm never hungry in the morning. During high school I had to leave very early to get to school and I never felt like eating before then. My mom would insist that I had something, but often the only thing I could stomach was fruit.

Now in college, thankfully, I've scheduled classes that are a little later in the day and so I do manage to eat something (though it's still small). That said, I've been here for a few months now and I've only gone to breakfast at the dining hall once! (Whereas I go to lunch and dinner every day unless I eat food out).

Thibault Thibault OP

In response to “I have trouble eating breakfast because I'm...

Breakfast literally makes me sick if I eat too early in the day.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Breakfast literally makes me sick if I eat...

Same here to be perfectly honest. I remember once staying over with my friends and they all wanted to eat really early the next morning, and I just ordered the lightest thing I could find, but even that made my stomach feel awful. Not sure why that it is--but if I just wait until I actually feel hungry, everything seems to be fine.

Thibault Thibault OP

In response to “Same here to be perfectly honest. I remember...

Sometimes just the smell of food can upset my stomach.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

Mostly, sometimes I eat something because I know it's tasty but it's still in the range of peckish

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

No. Eating food when you're starved is not a good as you tend to over eat. Keeping your body fueled with food is essential for many things, including your health. Breakfast is the most important meal, it's what fuels your body and mind to start the day.

I have six meals a day, small portions.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “No. Eating food when you're starved is not a...

Thankfully overeating has never been a problem for me, but it has been pointed out to me that overall, I don't eat much in one day. I feel like I do, but in the end it isn't much. Might explain why I've been underweight for most of my life.

Thibault Thibault OP

In response to “Thankfully overeating has never been a...

Yes, that might be the reason why you are underweight. My son does the exact same thing and his underweight as well. One thing I did tell him to take is a protein shake (not weight gaining powder) every morning and in the early evening. They finally made some protein powder that taste identical to chocolate milk.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Yes, that might be the reason why you are...

I may have to consider that, actually. The only guys I know who take those now are already muscular and big (and may be taking it for the wrong reasons), but it could benefit someone like me more.

Thibault Thibault OP

In response to “I may have to consider that, actually. The...

You can't go wrong with protein, I'd give it a shot.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “You can't go wrong with protein, I'd give it...

Didn't have all these supplements when I was young and starting training...so I used to drink around eight pints of milk a day ...it worked...

JD JD

In response to “Didn't have all these supplements when I was...

Yup, that would work. I didn't have supplements when I was young either.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Another mistake, NEVER go food shopping hungry, because then you tend to buy everything you feel like eating and have hell of a bill.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Another mistake, NEVER go food shopping...

Yup, that's true.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Not always. (no)

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

I eat at certain times each day and around the same time, but only eat as much as I feel like..

JD JD

No I try and have 4 small meal/snacks per day. I get up at 5am for work and don't feel like food then so I just have a green juice so I don't start food until about 8am and try and choose items that are relative to my nutritional needs. I treat food more like medicine rather than entertainment, that way it doesn't make me unhealthy.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

I eat when I'm hungry, and sometimes I'll eat when I'm not hungry, just because something is very good. Bad me.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “You are bad. (hehe)

I know.....I have no self control. (yum) But those chips sure taste good going down. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I know.....I have no self control. (yum)...

Make yourself a sandwich and put chips between the meat. BBQ chips taste better. (yum)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Make yourself a sandwich and put chips...

I only eat 1/2 a sandwich, and chips on the side. I don't care for the BBQ chips, just Lay's Classic. Yummy.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I only eat 1/2 a sandwich, and chips on the...

Put the chips inside the sandwich, it's really good.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Yes, I only eat when I'm hungry.

The trouble is, I tend to be hungry too often. (biggrin)

Thinkerbell Thinkerbell

Not always. If I'm offered a food that I really enjoy, I can become "instantly" hungry! I love good food! (yum)

JanHaskell JanHaskell

Usually, but every once in a while I do eat something I just have a craving for.

Piper2 Piper2

No sometimes I eat when I shouldn't but doesn't most everybody at times

Metal_god14 Metal_god14

I eat when I'm hungry, or bored, or when I smell something good, or I'm making food for someone else, or just because I feel like it.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

You just reminded me that I have a piece of chocolate uneaten in my handbag...YES!!!!

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

yes

Gun Gun