Vaping, is it a good replacement for smoking?

• Topics:LanguageRole Model
  • Featured on the home page on Dec 6th 2017
  • Post Of The Day on Nov 25th 2017

AliceDTiffaneeCarlaBudwickJerryHendricksonTHEchubbytoddlermona1986

Skr3wBallStickCavemanLorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredDW2CreamcrackeredergoproxyTheCensoredBritWalt_OReagunTomboyJanetReaperGirl07

StickCavemanPiper2TiffaneeBozetteAdaCarlaRooster

Explained by AliceD...

I quit smoking and have found vaping to really help, anyone else here into it?

Are you vaping with nicotine?
I am trying (again) to quit. I have quit, but restarted. It is the hardest thing for me, and ive quit many things.
I have tried the vape thing, but it tasted so bad that i went back to tobacco. But...i was vaping with a percentage of nicotine. The oil that is without the nicotine isnt too bad.
Im pulling for you aliced. As a matter of fact, i think i will stop at the vape store tomorrow when i go to town. Try it again. Maybe this time i will go with non nicotine oil.

Carla Carla

Fortunately, I've never smoked. Hope it does help you, though

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Fortunately, I've never smoked. Hope it...

Thanks, yes it has. Being a chain smoker for many years trying to quit this certainly seemed to be the magic bullet for me :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “Thanks, yes it has. Being a chain smoker for...

It would be very hard to break that habit. Good luck.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “It would be very hard to break that habit...

I have used most drugs in my time, some being slated as the very worst to get addicted to, although none of these have me in their grasp, my honest truth is that the ciggerettes just about had me for good. Thanks for the moral support :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “I have used most drugs in my time, some being...

Most cigarette smokers started when young, and I know it would be very hard to break a long time habit. I've never smoked because I can't stand the smell it leaves on clothing or someone's breath. lol

You're welcome, hope you can overcome the habit.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Most cigarette smokers started when young...

[Quote] " I can't stand the smell it leaves on clothing or someone's breath."

That's exactly why I quit - that bothered me more than the cost or risk to health.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

It's more expensive than smoking regular cigarettes, and it's banned everywhere just like regular cigarettes, so I don't think it's worth it.

Thedudeyouhatetomeet Thedudeyouhatetomeet

In response to “It's more expensive than smoking regular...

I don't know that I agree with that, there is an initial outlay which is modest, and if one does not get to far down the rabbit hole then the ongoing cost of purchase is less. There is also the health benefit, which at this stage is largely undertested, but for me I can see it seems greater.

Perhaps ciggerettes are cheaper where you come from, we pay about $30 for a pack of 20's over here.

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “I don't know that I agree with that, there is...

Wow. I was paying $3 for a pack of 20 when I smoked but I smoked the cheapest brands available.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “Wow. I was paying $3 for a pack of 20 when I...

Yes, much of that cost is government tax. Also of particular note the government is saying New Zealand will be smoke free by 2025. Lofty goals indeed. Not to mention many political and fundamental ramifications of such a proclamation.

AliceD AliceD OP

Are you vaping with nicotine?

Carla Carla

In response to “Are you vaping with nicotine? I am trying...

I have had a vape for pretty close to a year or so, like you when I first tried it it was pretty shit to be honest. I soldiered through and just kept at it for a week or so and found the vape i bought kept breaking down and didn't work and just generally sucked (mind the pun :))

About just over a month, six weeks ago, I turned back to it with a vengeance, at first it was crap, so I started to do a little research and fond that other people as uninformed as I too had this issue when they started.

I really advocate that you go into your vape shop and tell them of your previous experience, if they seem not to care and only want to sell you shit, go find a passionate vaper that truly wants to help, I can tell you it will make all the difference!

Yes, I have Nic, started @ 18 and am now down to 6. The six is way better but it was a weening process because I was just coming off the cancer sticks.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, although we are just random names on the interwebs it does help!

Feel free to ask me any questions about it and I will answer them as best I am able to :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “I have had a vape for pretty close to a year...

I will do that.
I applaud any and every one that has success with the quit.

Favorite flavor?

Carla Carla

In response to “I will do that. I applaud any and every one...

It is a blueberry pomegranate affair that is locally made :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “It is a blueberry pomegranate affair that is...

Called Smurf Blood :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “Called Smurf Blood :)

Ha!
Smurf blood.
I will seek out something similar.

Carla Carla

I'd like to try it, though haven't. The whole flavored thing turns me off, tbh.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I'd like to try it, though haven't. The...

Yeah, I was always of the opinion that I would be the same, until I actually tried it. My view has done a 180 on that :)

Gotta be in to win :)

AliceD AliceD OP

It works; it's far less expensive. It's been about 5 years since I've switched and now smoke 2-3 tobacco cigarettes a day instead of a pack.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “It works; it's far less expensive. It's been...

1)

hello Jerry , this so I can check if you're getting your notifications
I'm going to comment on a few posts to check

the big smiley face will make it easier to track these comments lolz

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity

It seems like one of the most promising alternatives to me. So far, the only thing I've tried is an inexpensive "e-cigarette" I purchased on a road trip. I have a friend who has discussed the vaping and various options with me. It's interesting hearing your and Carla's experience with this...

Piper2 Piper2

Anybody know if you can vape coffee? I'm certainly willing to try....(wt)

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eagle-ener...

Oooo...
That sounds promising.
Ran out of time today, aliced.
Gonna make it back to town over the weekend...NOT Friday:)

Carla Carla

In response to “Oooo... That sounds promising. Ran out of...

Be sure to leave an update Carla :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “Be sure to leave an update Carla :)

I will do that.

Carla Carla

It's still too new to know about any negative long term effects. Some studies have shown vaping can cause this irreversible disease called "popcorn lung".

Young people who vape are typically more obnoxious than young smokers. Somehow they're under the impression that everyone in their proximity wants to smell their stupid candy flavoring. Thankfully though, older vapers aren't so obnoxious.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “It's still too new to know about any negative...

Yes, I have read this, could you please link to the studies? All I have been able to find are dubious internet rumours :)

AliceD AliceD OP

Although this seems to be a bias source it uses some good references of which we are able to rely on.

http://blog.mtbakervapor.com/th...bout-diacetyl/

AliceD AliceD OP

The other thing I find quite often is people making claims about how bad it is and all of these studies that prove it and how they are ever so legit.

I have also noticed that not one of them anywhere on the net has come back to me with these studies they talk about.

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “The other thing I find quite often is people...

I'm not saying it's worse but it is relatively new. We'll see what the studies say when we have people who have been vaping for 40+ years. If there are never any negative effects to be found then great. But it'd be naive to make assumptions.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

To reiterate my point:

"The information learned from these studies is limited at best. So, what makes a vape pen dangerous? It is the unknowns:
1. The fact that there have not been sufficient scientific studies done on them.
2. Vape pens are relatively new to the market and kids are crazy to get their hands on regardless of the health risks.
3. We don’t know what the long term health risks are. This unknown makes every teenager with a vape pen a lab rat!"

So in other words, just like with cigarettes, teenagers are incredibly susceptible to doing "cool" things like blowing smoke. The difference, is that just because a product has very few studies done on it, doesn't mean it's completely safe.

http://www.teentherapycenter.co...e-pens-dangers

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “To reiterate my point: "The information...

"It's still too new to know about any negative long term effects. Some studies have shown vaping can cause this irreversible disease called "popcorn lung". " is a little different to "teenagers are incredibly susceptible to doing "cool" things like blowing smoke"

You see I am still waiting for the information that backs up your statement that it causes popcorn lung......

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “"It's still too new to know about any...

My original statement about popcorn lung was more so a generalization that something may be in e-cigs that is harmful. Not necessarily about how risk of getting popcorn lung specifically is irrefutable fact.

You see, like most people, I'm not looking through page after page of peer reviewed studies or medical journals. I'm not studying what chemicals do what to the body. I'm relying on journalism (which I am also skeptical of, mind you) to summarize and report. And several links have crossed my newsfeed and suggested that popcorn lung is a risk. I've also seen the ones that have debunked this claim. In case you're waiting for me to say, "I don't know of any studies," then, "I don't know of any studies."

Nevertheless, I maintain my original point. It's still a new product that we don't have many studies about and we definitely don't know very much about the long term effects. I think it's great if people are using them to stop smoking cigarettes. But I think at some point, people should ween themselves off of vaping as well.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

Just give it up there are many harmful chemicals in that stuff.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Just give it up there are many harmful...

Hey, Ok. Do have anything but unsubstantiated words to back that up? You see I hear that thing much of the time and no one has provided me with anything concrete.

It would be fair to say that you might be right, I don't actually know. I would be willing to bet it is doing less damage to me than smoking has though.

Perhaps you might be the lucky punter that actually has some answers hmmmm?

AliceD AliceD OP

I've tried the cheap refillable vape sticks which I found either started steadily leaking smurf blood everywhere from the tank, or start glugging oil that hadn't been vaporised through into the mouth tip...

So I was wondering what kinda vape system you've found works the best in your experience Alice?

乂º◡º乂

Ada Ada

In response to “I've tried the cheap refillable vape sticks...

Hey Ada, yeah, my first experience was very similar and really put me off.

Honestly, I am so **** tired my eyes are just about closed, but I will answer you propper like in the next few days :)

AliceD AliceD OP

Honestly just made me want to smoke more.

DW2 DW2

In response to “Honestly just made me want to smoke more.

I am not surprised in the least that you can prove to be the exception to the rule :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “I am not surprised in the least that you can...

Lol! Well.. considering there are Apparrently more than 300 active chemicals in cigarettes. Not being addicted to the other 299 becides Nicotine would be far more odd to me. :)

DW2 DW2

Disagree, vaping in of itself appears to be a new trend. Vaping also has possibility of causing upper respiratory cancer such as oesophagus cancer. So it still causing cancer, except it's higher up the respiratory system.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

In response to “Disagree, vaping in of itself appears to be a...

If you are around water there is the possibility of getting eaten by a shark.

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “If you are around water there is the...

But there's a difference between swiming in certain waters where shark attacks happen and are warned about, and deliberately going into those waters and inhaling a shark into your lungs. Cancer kills more people than sharks do, passive smoking kills more people than sharks do. Your reply has no common sense. It was an NHS nurse who told me about the oesophagus and upper respiratory cancer.
My hubby calls the vapes dummies/pacifiers.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

In response to “But there's a difference between swiming in...

Vaping is not smoking. Saying that there is a possibility that something happens does not mean it does. So when you say there is a possibility oesophagus and upper respiratory cancer that really doesn't mean much apart from pulling out the C word for a bit of shock value. In my opinion an NHS nurse telling you this doesn't really add any weight to your argument. Hey, cool, you know, believe what you wish. I don't agree with you although :)

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “Vaping is not smoking. Saying that there is a...

E-cigarettes contain the same chemicals as cigarettes but at a lower dose, hence common sense would predict that e-cigarettes can still cause cancer because they contain the same chemicals. It is also noted that e-cigarette users actually take more lugs on vaping devices and so they may have a lesser amount of chemicals, but users are taking more inhalations. Hence this is not shock value it's common sense, noted by those looking into the affects of vaping, since these products are relatively new, no one can state for sure the long term affect but with them containing the same chemicals, they can predict. E-cigarettes are not 100% safe.
Secondly, some of the flavours contain the chemical diacetyl, which can cause "pop corn lung" bronchiolitis.
Diacetyl was detected in 39 of the 51 flavours tested, ranging from barely measurable levels to concentrations of 239 micrograms per e-cigarette.
Finally, in tests mice that were exposed to human levels of vaping daily over a "two week" period sustained mild lung damage and reduced immunity to infection. This is because e-cigarettes contain free radicals. The mice experienced increased levels of macrophages in their lungs. Macrophages are a type of white blood cell that remove damaged and dead cells, and are evidence of cell damage. These mice also had a worse response when infected with either a bacteria that causes pneumonia or the flu virus. As a result those suffering lung conditions and ocpd are advised against using vaping. The best way to give up smoking is to give up smoking. Here's the nhs warning links, and studies, suck it up, just don't blow it in the passive smokers direction.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-a...-to-infection/

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-a...-popcorn-lung/

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/15-10185/

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

In response to “E-cigarettes contain the same chemicals as...

Excellent response! I shall have a look over the material you provided.

AliceD AliceD OP

In response to “Excellent response! I shall have a look over...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1...acco-marketing

Here is a further link which also reveals the damage e-cigarettes can cause and the people (tobacco industry) who stand to gain financially as this is big business, hence why you get two sets of data as the tobacco industry are trying to squash the studies into e-cigarettes that are discovering they are harmful.

Creamcrackered Creamcrackered

In response to “https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/16658358/va...

Interesting stuff. I will try to get a reply to you in the next few days :)

AliceD AliceD OP

It's worse in a way. You get people blowing huge clouds of quite often noxious smelling smoke into my face, and the number of customers who I've argued with at work because they've been puffing the things when they shouldn't is beyond me

TheCensoredBrit TheCensoredBrit

Of the people I know who vape, I haven't heard any complaints.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

As the research evidence increases, it shows that vaping is harmful to your lungs. Maybe not as bad as smoking, but what idiot wants to harm their lungs if they can avoid it?

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “As the research evidence increases, it shows...

Yes, the often missed part of this is that it is about 'Harm Reduction".

AliceD AliceD OP

In my view, it's pointless. If you want to smoke, actually smoke, don't "pretend" to.

Gun Gun

Vaping is for hipsters! SUCK A REAL PHAG!

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet