Do you understand the definition of the weird and scary, in the same sentence? Exactly, the kind of weirdos, that you really don't want to know, because stupidity is contagious. There's this guy, Mike Hughes... Uhmm... He is one of those silly Flat Earth Society idiots. He is actually <em>going to launch a rocket to prove, that the Earth is flat.</em> I'm stunned. What?!

ZonkeyBallsBlewynanifailSunny_the_skepticDandyDonCarlaWill_JanitorTiffaneeZolfieDarkhoundBrianlC_ZAR1

Walt_OReagun

TiffaneeDandyDonBozetteWill_JanitorBlewynanifailCarlaMetal_god14
Do you understand the definition of the weird and scary, in the same sentence? Exactly, the kind of weirdos, that you really don't want to know, because stupidity is contagious. There's this guy, Mike Hughes... Uhmm... He is one of those silly Flat Earth Society idiots. He is actually going to launch a rocket to prove, that the Earth is flat. I'm stunned. What?!

Good luck to him.I take it he never travels by boat

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

Blewynanifail Blewynanifail

In response to “Good luck to him.I take it he never travels...

Yeah, I take it that way too. It's not just the curvature, that you can see, but weirdly, the first part of the other boat coming towards you is the mast, which is funny...

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

"I don't believe in science," said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the area, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that's not science, that's just a formula. There's no difference between science and science fiction."
---- Mad Mike Hughes

On the morning of the launch, Hughes will heat 70 gallons of water in a stainless steel tank and then blast off between 2 and 3 p.m. PT. He plans to go about a mile — reaching an altitude of about 1,800 feet — before pulling two parachutes. They're discouraging fans — safety issues — but it will be televised on his YouTube channel .

1,800 feet?! What does he hope to see / prove at that altitude? He could take an elevator to the top of the Sears Tower - for free!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “"I don't believe in science," said...

Bud, that's the first flight. It's the next one he is aiming for. This is for testing. ;o) Which - in a way - makes it even weirder.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

In response to “Bud, that's the first flight. It's the next...

Second, actually, his first was in 2014.

Bozette Bozette

This guy reminds me of the coyote that keeps buying the ACME corp products and always gets turned into a pancake, I think he will have the same result.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Save his rocket fuel and take a look at Google Earth..
Oh wait, that's part of the massive conspiracy to make people think the Earth is round..

Some people will do anything to have their few minutes of fame..

Earth is round...cornbread is flat..

DandyDon DandyDon

I'm actually exited about all this. I love stupid people. Without stupid people, I wouldn't have the job of protecting people from them. They also make the rest of us feel a lot smarter.

Hmmmm what happens if he's right?

Wouldn't it be easier to prove by taking a big telescope to the top of Pikes Peak here in Colorado and seeing if he can see Finland?

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Idiots.......
Idiots.

Carla Carla

Send him to North Korea. They might appreciate him. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Man's not hurting me...knock yourself out, Mad Mike!

Bozette Bozette

If you read the story ... it sounds like he is only claiming to be a "flat Earther" to scam people out of money. He only raised less than $900 before. By claiming to believe in a flat Earth conspiracy, he has raised over $3000.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “If you read the story ... it sounds like he...

That's a good point, as such, but the guy made a bloody rocket running on steam. That's proper steampunk to me! ;o)

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

Yeah this story does not make sense... because if the earth is flat or if it's a round ball, it's gonna look like a circle either way... so the picture he's trying to take won't prove anything for either case.

To prove it's flat or coin like, then find the drop off edges/corners etc, where the land turns that much... you don't even need a rocket to do that... though a rocket might help to where to look.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “Yeah this story does not make sense...

Common sense rarely plays a remarkable role in these situations.

But it's actually quite funny to follow his ridiculous route to the truth.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

In response to “Common sense rarely plays a remarkable role...

Yes it is fun to follow some of the ridiculousness.

Though my problem is in this day and age, with all the misinformation, more people are actually believing crazy things...

Like certain things are mind control, or they don't want you to know the earth is flat, and many more crazy things...

That's partly why Americans politics is so completely screwed up... both sides are CLEARLY telling lies, and people are believing them... and then when the truth comes out, they refuse to believe it because they're already bought into the lies.

That could be true for politics else where as well, I just don't know non-American politics enough to say.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “Yes it is fun to follow some of the...

I know a bit of the truth, but believe it or not, it's impossible to understand the whole circle. It's always a piece.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

In response to “I know a bit of the truth, but believe it or...

I think you're saying it's impossible to know the whole story?

If that's what your saying then I agree, unless you can see it and feel it, while remaining unbiased.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I think you're saying it's impossible to know...

I am not. Nor will I ever remain that bloody way.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

In response to “I am not. Nor will I //ever remain that...

you mean unbiased?

I think I've lost what you're talking about.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “you mean unbiased? I think I've lost what...

I am biased.

All of this lying and covering up has to stop.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

In response to “I am biased. All of this lying and covering...

So your a referee?

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “So your a referee?...

It's "you're", just to be a **** about it.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

In response to “It's "you're", just to be a **** about it.

Yup, you past the ref test alright

Zolfie Zolfie

If you press them for an answer as to why we can't walk to the edge ... they will say some "magical" (my word) field keeps us from doing so.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “If you press them for an answer as to why we...

Oh so life is like a video game! You can't go outside the playable area, got it! (wink)(xp)

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “Oh so life is like a video game! You can't go...

That would tie to the scientific theory that our existence is, in reality, a computer simulation.

A theory that, like the existence of a deity, can't be disproven.

And can only be proven IF we observe certain "glitches". LOL

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “That would tie to the scientific theory that...

True but in computer simulations, you can adjust time and can get more than get unlimited retries.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “True but in computer simulations, you can...

But if you're part of the simulation ... how do you know if time has been adjusted? LOL
Maybe "the afterlife" is nothing but another computer simulation. LOL

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “But if you're part of the simulation ... how...

If you're part of the simulation then it doesn't matter, you're not real to begin with and have no freedom of will.

And if you have no freedom of will, would you really be wasting your time on the these types of questions instead of actually getting something done? No, therefore we're not simulations...

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “If you're part of the simulation then it...

Ah, the argument doesn't hold up.

One theory is that the simulation is of a past history, to understand how the present beings got to where they are.
If you are running a simulation of past history, you want it as real as possible. Maybe we are simulations of people who lived before, and the actions they took. And since the internet lives forever, maybe what we are doing is based on the records of actions of people who lived thousands or millions of years ago.

Of course, it begs the question ... if we are in a simulation and prove it - does the simulation end? Or does it keep running?

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “Ah, the argument doesn't hold up. One theory...

To quote Battlestar Galactica: All this has happened before, and will happen again.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

None of these arguments hold up, because they're all ridiculous, as it's all about what if your fake and don't know your fake.

Saying that can go along the lines of, well what if your a cheesecake and don't know your a cheesecake?

The scenario is completely unrealistic.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “None of these arguments hold up, because...

Saying we are a computer simulation, is not that different from saying we were created by some deity.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “Saying we are a computer simulation, is not...

But there is one huge difference...

Before there is a computer simulation, one has to first create the computer, then the software, and then the simulation.

Where a deity is not necessary created.

Therefore it's much more like saying we were created by some demigod produced just to control us.

But all this is besides the points... we're not cheesecakes! ... well at least I'm not, and I assume you're not, are you?

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “But there is one huge difference... Before...

But what if the computer and software was created by a bored deity? "Poof" and it exists. (Seems to me, that would be simpler than creating actual life)

(maniac)

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “But what if the computer and software was...

So you think Apple and Mircosoft creators are deities? ;-p

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “So you think Apple and Mircosoft creators are...

I always thought that was who The Sims worship, in their churches. LOL

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “I always thought that was who The Sims...

I have no idea, I've never played.

Zolfie Zolfie

In response to “I have no idea, I've never played.

I've never played The Sims ... but I've played Civilization a few times. I have the same thought on the religions there. LOL

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “I've never played The Sims ... but I've...

Meyers is a god. A bit on the lower levels, though. He can't for example cure me, yet, but give him some time!

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

What in the name of Thor have I created here. A proper thread, questioning tha nature of the reality. That is... Well... Weird, mostly.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

stupid is not contagius

Darkhound

In response to “stupid is not contagius

It is. I've gotten my stupidity from the people on this site. I think stupidity is a digital lifeform, living right outside the regular time-space continuum. And it goes without proving, that dogs are cats and white is black.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls OP

I live in S. Fla. so from my perspective the earth IS flat. ;-)

Brianl Brianl