PhilboydStudgeLil_PrincessPiper2OzSurferZonkeyBallsRoosterMetal_god14
So what is the point of spending a ridiculous amount of money on clothes or purses just because it's a designer brand? Anyone here know?

You got me! Although, last year someone gave me an Izod sweatshirt for Christmas. And, I gotta say, it fits really well, didn't shrink or lose color in the wash. And, it's really soft and comfortable. But, I don't have the disposable income to spend on one myself.

And tools - I know, there aren't 'designer' tools - but there are manufacturers that think they are! Some are priced through the roof - and while they are good tools, they're not so much better to be worth the extra cash - especially for an amateur.

I guess I'm a little wishy washy on this topic.

Budwick Budwick

I go for the tennis idiots.

Luckily, my big brother knows better. That's why I am wearing one of his employer's T-shirts - probably put together with some magic and voodoo, since nothing seems to have any effect on them. I think these things can take a bloody nuclear explosion.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

I don't know, I guess the point in that is to look good and designer stuff are considered the good stuff I guess.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I think some people have more money than they know what to do with! I've found over the years that some store name brands are every bit as good as designer brands. But some people just have to have what they think is the best to keep their ego running smoothly.

Rooster Rooster

Not a clue I'm a tomboy

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “Not a clue I'm a tomboy

What's a cle?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “What's a cle?

It's something that only occurs when a cookie crumb gets lodged under my u key

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “It's something that only occurs when a cookie...

Hmmm, something tells me I'm being led down a rabbit hole - but I'll bite.

So, what's a u key?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Hmmm, something tells me I'm being led down a...

It's a part of my key board like the a b c d e f g keys etc

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “It's a part of my key board like the a b c d...

OK, took the old man a moment more - but I understand now.

I'm now laughing at my dumass self.

But, enjoy those hristmas ookies! (maniac)(hehe)(smile)

Budwick Budwick

In response to “OK, took the old man a moment more - but I...

hahahaha thanks man! :)

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

Budwick Budwick

In response to “You got me! Although, last year someone gave...

Me too. I wear levis that ive had forever. Shoes and boots too. Not designer, but good name brands. Ive purchaces lesser footwear and have always been disappointed.

Tools.....when i first started buying tools, years ago, i began with some black and decker power tools. By the eighties they were just not built for hard work.
Soo i had to replace them with makita, milwaulkee, porter cable.
I purchased the first compound slide miter saw made by hitachi. These tools have served me well for almost 30 years. Well worth the price i paid.

I dont like to spend money, but when i do, i believe in buying quality products.

Carla Carla

In response to “Me too. I wear levis that ive had forever...

Exactly!
Oh boy, more stuff to agree on!
People are gonna start talking Carla!

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Exactly! Oh boy, more stuff to agree on!...

We arent one dimensional, bud.
Let em talk;)

Carla Carla

I agree with you on the clothes. Personally, I go with what looks good, what fits well and what I'm willing to spend. Designer clothes are not always made better. I've had fits of designer items that didn't wear as well as some other brand.

As far as tools go, they aren't something you wear out or g out of fashion, so buying tools that are well made and will last a very long time is worth the money.

Linnster Linnster

No point at all why pay more just because it has fancy designer name on it plenty of quality goods out there that don't require a bank loan to pay for them

Metal_god14 Metal_god14

I suspect people have marketing down to a science. Nowadays the public wants what the public gets, and not the other way around.

I still occasionally wear two casual short-sleeve button down shirts I bought around 1996.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

I have very little fashion sense so I stick to basic jeans and shirts and most I buy from surf shops because often it's the only place where I can find clothes that fit that aren't XXL etc as surf shops don't stock large sizes... I guess they figure if you can surf, you're not gonna be carrying excess weight. But I dislike paying more for something that has Ripcurl on it. Sometimes though I can find some really cheap clothes at Target that fit and look ok.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

If you have a lot of money, then buying named goods ..I don't see a problem...probably a waste but if it's what people want then I'm fine with it...

JD JD

No idea. My wife looks for function, then aesthetics, and couldn't really care less who made it.

Gun Gun

There ARE certain brands of things, of course, that people have good reason to choose over others. When it comes to spending an exorbitant amount of money on certain clothing or 'accessories' just because they have a certain label or symbol on them, the point of it is pretty obvious.

Piper2 Piper2

The point is you get what you pay for. I just found an awesome Michael Kors bag at TJ Maxx for $70 that was marked down from $300... A Michael Kors label means it's made really well a Joe Blow label means you got crap.

Echooos Echooos

I've always thought that, mostly, buying designer stuff is for the purpose of flashing it around that you can afford the pricey labels. It used to be called lording it over others.That has never impressed me because it looks like some people have more money than brains and good sense.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

Depends.

Certainly buying expensive clothes as a status symbol or because it's the hot thing to have right now is stupid and a waste of money.

However there are good reasons to pay for quality. If you buy well made, classic clothes they will never go out of style and you will be wearing them for years to come.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “Depends. Certainly buying expensive clothes...

If you want to talk about REAL money then consider haute couture. Many artisans and craftsmen (master embroiders, feather specialists, goldsmiths, fabric flower creators, etc...) spend about 800 hours hand making a one of a kind garment using only the finest materials available in the world. (For example a Chanel jacket is lined in silk and weighted with gold chain.That's the inside!) They are produced by fashion houses certified as Haute Couture by the Chambre Syndicale in Paris and include names like Dior, Chanel, Givenchy, and Gaultier.

Cost? Daywear begins at about $10,000. Evening wear can easily cost well over $250,000.

Just think how many Old Navy tees that would buy! (maniac)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

Not a clue. People think I wear expensive clothes at work but I shop the clearance racks, yard sales, and thrift shops. I don't need a designer label to feel good about myself.

🦋

Lil_Princess Lil_Princess

Status symbols. Literally just to show how rich you are.

Trish Trish

Especially when we have been told that "The Devil Wears Prada"!

goblue1968 goblue1968