Can a property owner or business owner be sued by someone who slips on the ice and gets hurt when the entire town is covered with it?

Yes

PhilboydStudgeBudwickZolfieSynysterGates

No

Sunny_the_skeptic

It depends on:

Nobody :(

Other

Nobody :(

PhilboydStudgeAdaSynysterGates

Explained by JerryHendrickson...

There is 3/4 of an inch on all pavement in Hornell, N.Y., this being the first business day after the big storm. Nobody has been hurt on my property; I've just always wondered.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but negligence would have to be proven. Having said that, I believe that someone would have a good slip and fall case if the person fell on an uncleared sidewalk. I don't know the regulations up there, but in NYC, the sidewalk has to be cleared within a couple of hours after the snow ends.

Linnster Linnster

I'm just guessing - Yes.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I'm just guessing - Yes.

If true, that's a shame. I mean, there a places in Alaska that basically ARE ice.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson OP

In response to “If true, that's a shame. I mean, there a...

Society is just so triggered, ready to sue. It's sad.
A homeowner in Cleveland a few years back I recall had cleared the sidewalks in front of his house. He didn't get it all, there was still some snow packed down. It got slippery, someone fell and got hurt. He was sued and told by police - that he made it worse by clearing the snow as he did.

People suck.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Society is just so triggered, ready to sue...

Ya can't win sometimes.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson OP

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but...

Yes, I should have said "successfully sue."

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson OP

In response to “Yes, I should have said "successfully...

If the homeowner or business owner failed to clear the sidewalk in accordance with the town regulations and the person who fell can show injuries as a result, I believe they would be successful in a law suit. I'm having difficulty finding the rules for snow removal in Hornell. I can find snow removal services, but not the regulations.

Linnster Linnster

It is in Canada, that's why the business owners clear the property from ice. As for residential, that's what home insurance is for.

However, Canadians really never sue, we're too nice.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “It is in Canada, that's why the business...

It's kind of hard to clear an entire parking lot of ice. Well, nobody here has done it and they had all weekend. I treated and removed it in main traffic areas but no way am I covering all pavement with salt. AND it's been so cold that the salt won't even melt the ice. I've had to throw sand on top.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson OP

In response to “It's kind of hard to clear an entire parking...

Well that's enough to cover yourself Jerry. You did attempt to clear the ice with salt and sand. I highly doubt that would even get to court. Winter brings along ice, freezing rain and snow. What else can you do? Nothing.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I would not think so, but it would be safer to clear the ice from the front of their property

JD JD

If a drunk driver can sue a bar for serving him too many drinks, and if a trespasser's family can sue a homeowner when she drowns in their pool, then I would guess one can sue a property owner for slipping on any snow/ice on their property. It's beyond ridiculous.

I once heard that if there's only one lawyer in town, she'll never have work, but if there are two lawyers in town, they'll have as much work as they want.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “If a drunk driver can sue a bar for serving...

I think that many purposely stage fake accidents just to sue.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson OP

I believe in my city, a person has 24 hours to clean their walks after a storm.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “I believe in my city, a person has 24 hours...

The man lives in a reasonable city. The problem is that sometimes it will melt a little and freeze over again.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson OP

I dont know if they can but it's stupid, if that is fair then people should sue the state for slipping in public property. Such things are so weird to me, in my country you just walk it off.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “I dont know if they can but it's stupid, if...

Or even crashing on the road. We're expected to control the weather.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson OP

Yeah in theory you can sue for anything and everything. Can you win if a different story. But I've heard of a case where a mail person sued (and winning) because they broke their ankle when their cut through someone's yard and stepped into depression.

But a lot of cities (at least in the North) have laws were the public walk ways (sidewalks and all) need to be cleared and safely walk-able by a certain time... and if someone has an accident they whomever was suppose to clean it, is at fault. This is why a number of people fight hard, to not have sidewalks put in on their properties... if a city is attempting to expand their sidewalks.

Also if you take the snow (including from your driveway) and put it into the street, that's also illegal and people can be fined (or arrested).

Zolfie Zolfie