• Topics:LifeMorals
  • Source: reuters.com
  • Featured on the home page on Jan 18th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Jan 18th 2018

PhilboydStudgeDarkest_Serenitydru18BozetteAdaWill_JanitorSunny_the_skepticRoosterSynysterGatesMutt
What would you do if you found out about a funeral home that was selling body parts and removing gold fillings to pay for vacations?

Explained by JustJimColo...

I recently read about a mortuary doing this in my state. I was pretty shocked about it and not sure what, if anything, I, or others, should do. Do I post the links of the various stories to their Facebook page? You can't make this kind of bizarre behavior up. It actually disturbs me that there are people and businesses like this out there.

What Sunny said .... sue them for everything they have then throw them in prison.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Sue them and create a massive media hurricane of hate in their direction.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

Hopefully the judicial system would punish them. After that, try to make sure they never ran another funeral home.

How low will some people go to make a few bucks?

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Sounds like my kind of funeral home.

dru18 dru18

"It is legal to buy and sell human body parts for use in research and education — and in Colorado and most other states, it is also legal for funeral homes to sell items recovered from dead bodies, including gold dental work, according to the report. It is also legal to employ a “body broker” from the same location as a funeral home or crematory."

Wow. I never knew this. I suppose it depends upon how the laws are worded, there may not be anything that can be done beyond contacting your state representative and senator about changing the laws and spreading the word. Thanks for the heads up, Jim, it appears this is true in most states, I'll have to check the laws here.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “//"It is legal to buy and sell human body...

Just when you you think nothing more can surprise you about some of the crazy laws out there.
It may not matter what they do to you once you're dead, but the idea of a mortician ripping out a loved one's gold fillings as they lay on the embalming table, to fund his vacation.......

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Just when you you think nothing more can...

Yes, it's unsettling. I wonder that more ex-employees haven't spoken up...there must be others doing this, too, given that most states have laws regarding the practice.

Bozette Bozette

I was trying to find the laws in my state (haven't yet) and ran across the original investigation by Reuters:

"Colorado does not regulate body brokers. It is also the only state that doesn’t license funeral directors. Funeral homes are required to register with the state, but spokesman Rasizer said the regulatory affairs department is not authorized to inspect mortuaries. It only investigates a funeral home if a complaint is filed, he said."

https://www.reuters.com/investi...odies-funeral/

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I was trying to find the laws in my state...

Interesting term, "body brokers". Sounds kind of like "parts for cash".

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “Interesting term, "body brokers"...

It basically is, that woman sells torsos, heads, feet, etc. She also charges those who "donate" the bodies, making money on both ends.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “It basically is, that woman sells torsos...

I heard that story several times on various criminal shows. They recycled heart pacemakers, gave diseased parts to people as transplants.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

Hey Jim can you take a peek at your PM"S?!!

dru18 dru18

In response to “Hey Jim can you take a peek at your PM"S?!!

I did... nothing new there....

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP

In response to “I did... nothing new there....

Yeah, there actually is,...from ME!! LOL!

dru18 dru18

What, didn't love my answer? You must not have ever read the "Gold Arm".

dru18 dru18

I would go out on a limb...

JD JD

Not use their services, and alert law enforcement.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

Don't they ALL do it?

COGSPI

In response to “Don't they ALL do it?

I don't know if they ALL do it. I think it's wrong. When we take a family member to a funeral home, we hope that the body will be handled with the same dignity and respect that we held for the person.
I guess it would be like finding out your Mother was stripped of her wedding ring that the family wanted her to be buried with, by the mortician, and sold at a pawn shop.

JustJimColo JustJimColo OP