DWFVicZincThibaultPhilboydStudgeRoosterSunny_the_skepticMonaLeaFlrdsgnsBubastral_queenPartyOfOne

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundredBudwick

PhilboydStudgeVicZincdoctorwho1011Piper2Darkest_SerenityMonaLeaRoosterBub
There is no reason not to transition away from fossil fuels

We are transitioning now. Perhaps not as quickly as some would like, but it is happening. There are factors that are still being addressed that many conveniently ignore about renewable energy. Both wind and solar farms can adversely affect wildlife, often protected species. Only just recently has a battery been developed (not yet in common use) that is not chock full of toxic materials that pose disposal problems. Additionally, materials currently used in many components require crude oil and other materials that must be mined. Electric vehicles are much more easily adopted in areas like the EU, where people typically travel shorter distances by car than in countries the size of the US or Canada. Transistioning needs to be done smartly over quickly.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

I guess I can agree with that - but when it's the left, I always need to dig a little deeper to see what they REALLY mean. And, in this case - it's the same old story - stop using fossil fuels America. All the other cool countries say they're gonna - why don't you?

Well, I have no problem switching to alternative fuels - once they exist. I am NOT willing to live like it's 1850 waiting for the technology to catch up however. And, there's not electric car with the range of a fossil fuel car. There are no solar powered 18 wheelers or locomotives to move cargo - no wind powered airliners. I'm not saying this to be a punk - they really don't exist.

Alternative power sources are very cool. I'm all for them. Keep up the good work! When it's ready for prime time, let me know. Until then - STFU.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I guess I can agree with that - but when it's...

Did you read the link in the source?

DWF DWF OP

In response to “Did you read the link in the source?

Yes - and it's over simplified. For example - from the article -

'The first major step is (literally) electrifying: if all energy sectors (including transportation, heating/cooling, industry, and agriculture) start running on electricity instead of gas and oil, a nation's overall energy usage goes down.'

But, how does one actually do that? I mean, suppose we wake up one day and all of a sudden, gas and oil is simply no longer available. To these guys - that would be cool! No more fossil fuels to worry about. In the mean time, there's a lot of homes without heat, virtually all of the goods needed won't get to market, about half of us would have no electrical power.

Let's get real. As the alternative energy sources become better, more efficient, and economical, the market will transition to them. Making a promise like the article says Germany did, to be without fossil fuel by 2020 in my opinion is crazy! There's no sure bet to switch to.

Budwick Budwick

Of course we should transition away from fossil fuels, and we are. The process may be disappointingly slow for some, but it is happening.

Thibault Thibault

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

In response to “We //are// transitioning now. Perhaps not as...

My car is a Prius, hybrid - so it uses some gasoline but generates its own electric supply. I think hybrid is best unless you just travel a short distance.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “My car is a Prius, hybrid - so it uses some...

And more people are choosing those vehicles...thus, part of the transition. Still, those vehicles are not suitable for many, particularly many in rural areas.

Bozette Bozette

If there are better ways that's right, but too much money is into this stuff

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

The only reason would be economics. As soon as renewable energy becomes cheap and widely available people will come flocking.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

Electric cars have come quite a ways, but the technology just isn't there yet to make it practical for most people. Neither is the cost. I'd love to own a Tesla Roadster, but don't see it happening in my lifetime. As big as the US is, for those of us who didn't grow up in the city and plan to live in out in the country, or travel, the practical range of an electric car just isn't there yet.
Coming from a farming community, I haven't heard of any plans for an electric tractor or any other industrial applications.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “Electric cars have come quite a ways, but the...

Some guy in china did already make a tractor that runs on wind power. https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=9022

In response to “Some guy in china did already make a tractor...

LOL... I read the article and looked at the picture of it from around 19013. It was some guy in Plainview TX. Guess it never caught on.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

They won't last forever. They polute the air, they damage the oceans. Electric from solar , wind or waves seems better to me. Expensive to start but long term. WHAT A BOOM IT WOULD BE. If we could forget about Arabs and their oil.

In response to “They won't last forever. They polute the...

There are already lawsuits against wind generators here in Colorado. Environmentalist groups say they kill too many birds.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “There are already lawsuits against wind...

really must be stupid birds in that area. We have lots of them here in Maine, eagles nest on some of them now. So those are really protected against environmental zealots.

In response to “really must be stupid birds in that area. We...

I think in California, eagles are the what they are losing a lot of. Here is a local article from the Denver Post.

They claim the speed at the tip of those blades is 180 mph. Doesn't look like i from a distance but I guess that's why a bird wouldn't see it coming.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017...wind-turbines/

JustJimColo JustJimColo

Oh sad they are the brown eagles , we have the bald ones here they must be smarter.

Transition to what? Electric? Much of the grid is a century old. Power is generated from various fuels, none of which is in great supply. Wind? The Dutch built an empire powered by wind. Who? The Dutch. Sun? Most people can't get past the image of machinery on the roof.

A gallon of gas is equivalent to 33.4 KWH of electric power. Sunlight at the top of the atmosphere provides that much every hour in about 13 square meters. The problem is that not much of that sunlight reaches the ground, and conversion efficiency is barely 12%, and only for a couple of hours in midday.

Rome built an empire powered by muscle. The Dutch built an empire powered by wind. England built an empire powered by coal. The USA built an empire powered by oil. No other candidates have been found yet.

Bottom line: It sounds nice to talk about "transition away from fossil fuels", but the big question is "Transition to what?"

that_guy that_guy