Anti-DACA Democrats to shut down government?

The dems care more for their party than DACA kids

Nobody :(

The dems care more for their party than US Citizens

Seonag

The dems care more for their party that National Security

Lookimhonest

The dems care more for their party than success of the nation

Nobody :(

All of the above

Nobody :(

Other

Nobody :(

JDWill_JanitorRooster

Explained by Budwick...

The photo was taken in September of 2017 - four months ago. THEN, the dems were all about DACA - today, they're throwing the DACA kinds under the bus along with US Military, S-Chip and more. For what? Despite Trump's potty mouth, things are getting done for a change. I think the dems see progress under a republican president as threatening.

I honestly don't give a damn at this point. In the last 40 years, a budget has been passed in a timely manner precisely 4 times. The most recent being 20 years ago, in 1997.

Suddenly people are all concerned about a disfunctional and corrupt government having a temporary shutdown. I suppose it beats worrying about NFL kneelers, fake news, whether Trump eats cheeseburgers in bed, where his wife sleeps, and whether he called shithole countries shitholes or not.

Anyone remember that $2.3 Trillion unaccounted for by the DoD announced by Rumsfeld on 10 September 2001? That was up to $8.5 Trillion by the end of 2013...what do you figure it's up to now? The DoD has just begun its first ever audit, something that has been mandated since 1996, yet never once done. (I'm making book on whether they actually complete this audit or come up with another excuse if anyone's interested, btw.)

Yet everyone's bitching either for or against $21 Billion for a wall...NEWS FLASH: IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS THATS NOT EVEN POCKET CHANGE.

There are 468 seats up for grabs come November 6th...we need a clean sweep.

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, they aren't anti-DACA, they don't want to have to fund a $21 billion border wall to get it passed. DACA should be a clean bill - nothing should be attached to it. There was a bi-partisan bill that cleared the House and the Senate refused to bring it to a vote. And as far as the budget, the military gets more than its fair share of funding. Let them stop buying $800 hammers and $300 toilet seats. Even Gen. Kelly told Trump that a wall is not feasible, but that doesn't count, does it? Funny, the GOP didn't have any problem with shutting down the government not that long ago.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Unless I'm misunderstanding you, they aren't...

But, the wall was a significant thing in Trumps platform. And, pay attention here - he won the election! The people want border security - whether a physical wall or whatever. Dems won't play ball - even at the cost of those precious children! The children Linn - think if those children! Do you really want to turn your back on the poor children? Throw them back to evil drug cartels and human trafficking?

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “But, the wall was a significant thing in...

I AM thinking of the children Bud. I'm thinking that a clean DACA bill would pass both houses right now. Funding a wall should not have anything to do with the status of these "children." While the wall might have been Trump's platform, surely you are smart enough to understand that you can't build a wall over a river, through a desert or some other unsatisfactory terrain. Don't you think that the cartels will figure out a way to get drugs and human traffic here anyway? We'll build a wall and they'll dig tunnels. Use your head, man - I know you can.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I AM thinking of the children Bud. I'm...

You need some additional info apparently. Everyone, even Trump knows that there are areas where a wall is inappropriate. His comments saying so may not have been covered on your news outlets the last few weeks.

Like so many things, government stuff gets bundled. The DACA language is in the bill.

The cartels had Obama forcing law enforcement looking the other way while they imported heroin - so you're right, they are very creative. Better border security is imperative! Throwing up your hands and exclaiming 'there's nothing we can do', just doesn't sound very proactive.

And finally, please don't start with insults. I am quite capable in that arena. Even if you were get the last word, you'll end up being upset all weekend.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “You need some additional info apparently...

I don't believe Trump has ever addressed how he would handle the terrain where a wall couldn't be built. He says it now because Kelly said he was uninformed. If Trump knew that all along, he didn't address it for the express purpose of hoodwinking his base. He claims he has never "evolved" from putting up the wall.

I didn't say we should throw up our hands and do nothing. I just don't think the wall is going to accomplish what you think it will and it certainly won't stop the cartels. I don't believe for one moment that Mexico is going to pay for a wall and anyone who does must be smoking some really good stuff.

I didn't insult you. I said you were smart enough to know that there is so much money in drugs that the cartels will move heaven and earth to get them into the U.S.

Lastly, just because so many other bills get bundled doesn't mean that DACA has to. **** Durbin and his GOP counterpart claim to have produced a bi-partisan bill addressing DACA, border security and the budget that passed the House and it was presented to the Senate which refused to bring it up for a vote. So who is really standing in the way of resolving this problem?
If a bill can't stand on it's own, it has no business being codified into law.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I don't believe Trump has ever addressed how...

Apparently, bundling IS a requirement from the republican perspective.

Democrats will need to learn some stuff about negotiating. Stomping feet and whining doesn't always work.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Apparently, bundling IS a requirement from...

Both sides bundle when they don't have enough votes for a stand-alone bill. They link it to something "must pass" and ram the entire bill down our throats.

Apparently, there WAS bi-partisan negotiating, which resulted in a bill which the Senate refused to even bring up for a vote. That smacks of stamping feet and whining irrespective of which party does it.

Even some Republicans are disgusted with the way things are being done here. One of the senators from Oklahoma was on The PBS News Hour last night and said the way this is being handled was ridiculous . Mitch McConnell said he would be happy to bring a bill to the president to sign as soon as they figured out what the president wanted!

Trump can change his mind in a matter of seconds in the same meeting. He was all for a clean DACA bill until someone to his left reminded him about the wall. SNAP! He changed his stance. Now they want to put the onus of a shutdown on the Democrats?

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Both sides bundle when they don't have enough...

irrespective of which party does it.?
How about this time? It's the dems.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “irrespective of which party does it.? How...

And last time it was the GOP - what's your point?

Linnster Linnster

In response to “And last time it was the GOP - what's your point?

The current issue to be resolved is one caused by the democrats.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “The current issue to be resolved is one...

Only because it DACA was done by Executive Order which should have been codified into law. Now Congress has an opportunity to do just that and they can't get out of their own way.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “Only because it DACA was done by Executive...

Well, that's interesting. I bet that's the thing the 9th Dist said Trump could not rescind - but the Supreme Court will be looking at.

If the Supreme Court goes Trump's way, then I guess he could just reverse the order. Hmmm, sounds like congress has a better deal pending if democrats will negotiate.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Well, that's interesting. I bet that's the...

I think you pretty much know that I'm not in favor of giving away the store. Having said that, young children who were brought here by their parents 20-30 years ago and who have made a life in the only country they know, who have been or are being schooled, who have opened small business or who are working and contributing, should not be deported. If they have criminal records or are on welfare for 20-30 years, that's a different situation.

Bear in mind that any Executive Order is subject to being overturned. In the case of DACA, there is also a matter doing the right thing - the Christian thing, if you will. In no case do I believe that other members of their family should be permitted to emigrate unless they do it legally.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I think you pretty much know that I'm not in...

I get it, I understand. Many of the same arguments given back in the 80's for the last amnesty.

It gets a little old when we're stuck 'doing the right thing' over and over for all the people that didn't do the right thing in the first place!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “I get it, I understand. Many of the same...

If I'm not mistaken, the problem back in the 80s was that chain migration was not prohibited. This time, it should be. I think the simplest, most effective way to deal with DACA is to give permanent residency to them, prohibit family members from immigrating, firm up immigration laws and ENFORCE them.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “If I'm not mistaken, the problem back in the...

Sounds reasonable, sounds even familiar!
As long as democrats require a permanent underclass to keep voting them into office, there will continue to be immigration problems.

Budwick Budwick OP

As always...JMHO

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I honestly don't give a damn at this point...

You're 100% correct about that amount being pocket change, but when you take all that pocket change and add it up over the years, it becomes trillions. When you're talking about those kinds of numbers, there has to be much stronger accountability for how the money is spent.

We can't just keep funneling money into the military without knowing how it's being spent. Just their procurement process alone needs a wholesale revision. Every few years, the Army has redesigned its uniforms without actually having any input from the boots on the ground. The uniform before this one closed with Velcro. How stupid was that when you consider stealth troop positions in the Middle East could be given away because someone opened a pocket! So, back to the drawing board and a new uniform was designed at a cost of millions. Two uniforms ago, they decided on a pattern that stood out like a pink flamingo in the desert. So, another few million wasted. The Marines settled on one uniform and that was it.

You and I will turn blue before that audit is completed and by the time it comes out, it will be outdated.

I would rather see that $21 billion used for repairing and replacing infrastructure right here in this country.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “You're 100% correct about that amount being...

I cannot disagree with your evaluation of our military expenditures...as far as they go. Personally, I can find a great deal more to fault, and in every branch, agency, office, and bureau of our government, for that matter.

As for the wall, I understand people wanting it...and I know damn well it wouldn't stop me. Our problems are far greater than a wall can address. I have little faith they will be.

So...I've got you down for a bet against the completed audit...how much ya in for? (biggrin)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “I cannot disagree with your evaluation of our...

The military is the one I'm most familiar with since I keep in touch with so many military people. I do agree that this probably pertains to every agency in the government. Part of the problem is that each agency has a budget. If they don't use it up, they get less money in the next budget so should it occur that they need more than they're budgeted in that year, it won't be available. Hence, the $800 hammers, $300 toilet seats, etc.

I wouldn't be opposed to the wall if it truly solved the problem, but I agree with you that it won't. When people want to get someplace badly enough, they find a way. I'm not even sure that we need new immigration laws if the ones we have would just be enforced.

Put me down for $50 that the audit won't be completed. :)

Linnster Linnster

In response to “The military is the one I'm most familiar...

Yeppers, that's how it works... What we need is folks who say "Dayum...y'all keep doing this good, ya won't need me next year!" Yeah, I know...Ain't gonna happen. B

Gotcha...$100'll get ya...lol

Bozette Bozette

I'm tired of this crap from Congress. If they can't do their jobs and shut down the government, then they (and their entire staff) should forfeit their own paychecks during the shutdown and should NOT be paid retroactively! Either do your job or be replaced!

Seonag Seonag

In response to “I'm tired of this crap from Congress. If they...

I love that plan!

Budwick Budwick OP

That wall will never be built. The land right up to the border is owned by someone, they aren't going to just turn over their land to the government so they can build a wall. The government will have to purchase all that land, plus enough more to put a road to run along the wall for maintenance, That's going to cost Trillions, not billions.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “That wall will never be built. The land...

Thanks so much for your input Flanders!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Thanks so much for your input Flanders!

I certainly don't have all the answers, but it seem to me the immigration problem can be handled by simply requiring all employers to use e-verify. Sure a few may slip through, but it would prove to be pretty effective and at no real cost to taxpayers. As far as the DACA kids, most have lived here for the majority of their lives, and they should have a path to citizenship in my opinion.

I do believe the Constitution needs to be changed where anchor babies are not automatically U.S. Citizens. We can deliver the baby but they should be whatever nationality the mother is. Again just my opinion, not even sure how feasible that is, but it would be worth Congress discussing.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “I certainly don't have all the answers, but...

Republicans are ready to sign off on the unconstitutional DACA program. Democrats are not.

Everify would be nice to track people coming here to work. It does nothing in regards to immigration, slowing drugs or terrorists.

Don't mention your anchor baby concept to any democrat. They'll not be friendly about it. And, the first sentence appears to be opposed the second. So, I guess I'm confused.

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Republicans are ready to sign off on the...

I have no problem with a hospital delivering a baby, but if the mother is not a citizen, I just wouldn't make them a citizen. I am a life long Democrat, but tend to be more moderate than many. I don't like the extreme left end of the progressives any more than I like the extreme alt right people. I believe most people in this country fall into the left or right of center with the emphasis on center.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “I have no problem with a hospital delivering...

Ahh, a thinking Democrat! I am so pleased to make your acquaintance! I seriously have great respect for that.

And, I happen to agree with your thinking regarding the anchor baby thing.

I noticed in another of your posts that you live in SoCal. Is it difficult living there with your independent thinking? I think it would drive me nuts!

Budwick Budwick OP

In response to “Ahh, a thinking Democrat! I am so pleased to...

Not difficult at all. I'm 3rd generation SoCal native, and I've found most people here are friendly and helpful. California is fairly liberal, but not nearly as bad as most think. This state has elected several republican governors and assembly members. The problem with the republican party in California is they insist on running very conservative candidates and they will never win here. A moderate republican has a very good chance of being elected though. Our state assembly is made up of too many democrats and we need some moderate republicans to counter them. I wish the California GOP would wise up and nominate some moderates.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

I agree mostly with your DACA position. Not a automatic citizenship, but certainly permanent residency so they don't have to worry about being deported in the middle of the night. The man recently deported to Mexico after coming here as a very young child and living here for 30 years, leaving a wife and two children, is disgusting.

Definitely agree on the anchor babies. I also think that chain migration should not be permitted unless those coming here will be taken care of, vouched for and sponsored by an family member who has achieved citizenship and who agrees that they will not apply for government resources. In other words, if you come here, become a citizen and want to bring your parents here, YOU must agree to provide for them - not the taxpayers.

In my neighborhood, we have been flooded with Russian immigrants, many of whom are too elderly to work, don't speak English, have no interest in assimilating, but somehow they know exactly how to apply for welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, etc.

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I agree mostly with your DACA position. Not...

California in the 80s I think it was voted overwhelmingly to not allow illegals any welfare, or medical and not allowed in the schools. It was overturned by the Supremes. So much for the will of the people.
I have no problem helping someone in an emergency, but don't want to support someones lifestyle if they choose not to learn the language or work.
I do have a different opinion on those brought over here as children. They had no choice, the parents wanted a better life for their children, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “California in the 80s I think it was voted...

We agree on DACA and, for the most part, helping someone in a pinch. As for the welfare issue, Clinton restructured welfare so that you have a five year maximum. After that, you were on your own and it was reversed. Five years should be enough time for someone to learn the language, assimilate, find a job and stand on their own.

Linnster Linnster

shut it down until the People see the FISA memo

who's Life will be different during a shut down?

NOT one persons
even the people laid off by th goobermint will receive backpay for their mini vacation
the military will not leave post
congress will get paid
SSI checks will be sent out
the border patrol will get up an do their job

Shut it down

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

If the repubs give in on DACA they will not have anything to bargain with over the other issues. The gems can not be trusted over anything. Neither sides are totally trustworthy which is why Trump got in office. He has really shaken both sides by trying to help America.
"Dreamers" are getting their dreams at the expense of hardworking, taxpaying citizens. Who has paid for them? Not their parents - the American people have.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

I have no affiliation or loyalty to either party. It's important to Dems and Repubs that the other be blamed, but I'm not interested in this debate. Most politicians are more interested in keeping their jobs than representing the people.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “I have no affiliation or loyalty to either...

"Most politicians are more interested in keeping their jobs than representing the people." - 100% agree!

Budwick Budwick OP

I'm surprised not many people realize that all politicians are out for themselves and they don't care about the welfare of the ordinary people....it's the same in England ...most of us are not committed to any one party...

JD JD