What pleasure do people gain by bad mouthing others?   Can't they think of better ways to spend their time and energy?  Don't they realize others can see right through their meanness.

PhilboydStudgedoctorwho1011Piper2TiffaneeStarzAboveSofiaprimeiroMonaLeaazlottoRoosterBubSynysterGatesMetal_god14Flrdsgns_Howler_Chuck_Tom
What pleasure do people gain by bad mouthing others? Can't they think of better ways to spend their time and energy? Don't they realize others can see right through their meanness.

I guess it just makes them feel superior or something. Most of them just like to see if they can get a reaction and then they feel good. I highly doubt that they even think about people seeing right through it.

Rooster Rooster

Rooster Rooster

People who do that have low self esteem, and when they bully and bad mouth others, it makes them feel good. Pathetic.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

It shows extreme immaturity.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

I agree. That's what kids on the playground do to hurt others..... bullies. And there are usually two or three of them that band together, but catch one of them alone, and they slither away like the snakes they are.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

Everybody bad mouth's now and then, but the issue becomes when someone continues bad mouthing the same individual over an over again.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Everybody bad mouth's now and then, but the...

I agree or when they do it to hurt someone.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

or bad mouthing becomes a regular practice towards anyone when a different opinion is presented. I know such a person here who absolutely detests any opinion but theirs to the point of making you look bad for having this opinion.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “or bad mouthing becomes a regular practice...

Most people who are overly opinionated are normally wrong most of the time. That's what I've seen in the past.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Most people who are overly opinionated are...

To me it's not about being right or wrong, but more like not being so closed off and set in one state of mind. We're just people, most of the time our opinion is not even our own but rather the thought of someone that is backed by many others.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “To me it's not about being right or wrong...

That's so true about "most of the time our opinion is not even our own but rather the thought of someone that is backed by many others." It's not like we invented the specific opinion, it was there already.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “That's so true about "most of the time...

Exactly, for example we both know that our solar system is composed of a star and 9 planets that gravitate around it. That is considered a fact although neither of us has practically seen any of those (except for the sun) but we assume it's true because people considered smart by many say so. But at least things like this can be proven, unlike theoretical concepts and all the other information that we have spent our life learning.

I had never thought about this until we had a lecturer tell us that we actually know nothing for ourselves but rather repeat the findings of other people.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Exactly, for example we both know that our...

I never thought of it that way, but it's so true.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “I never thought of it that way, but it's so true.

It's amazing to deposit valuable information for future generations but it's also kinda scary that it's all more or less subjective no matter how hard we try.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

I've ran into a few of those types on this site too.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “I've ran into a few of those types on this...

Yes sure, you and I have had our conflicts too for which I'm sorry now, since we talk now.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “Yes sure, you and I have had our conflicts...

Thank you for saying that, but not everyone gets along all the time. We both had our say, and that's what this site is for.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

To give proper opinion I need context, it could be a defensive mechanism towards anyone who challenges the belief of a narrow minded person or childish rivalry that results in bad mouthing because they find no other way to win a verbal argument.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “To give proper opinion I need context, it...

Just to bad mouth someone because of their looks and their comments.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

What pleasure do people get from bad mouthing others? By putting others down they feel it raises their relative status.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “What pleasure do people get from bad mouthing...

Exactly. Thanks for commenting

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

I pay no attention to them...but when I do say something it's usually: "If I agree with you, will you go away and leave me alone."

azlotto azlotto

In response to “I pay no attention to them...but when I do...

Haha, that's a great reply, I'll remember that. Thanks for expressing your views.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

They think they are hurting others when the joke is on them. They look childish and stupid. Anyone reading them sees that.

Let's hope they don't slither back on here. They deserve zero attention.

MonaLea

In response to “They think they are hurting others when the...

Probably slither back to diss us again. That's what low lifes do.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

People will hate you, rate you, shake you, and break you. How you stand strong is what makes you.

Tiffanee Tiffanee

In response to “People will hate you, rate you, shake you...

That's very true. And you and I have been through all of that and we're still standing. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “That's very true. And you and I have been...

Nothing weak about us.

MonaLea

In response to “Nothing weak about us.

Strong women seem to make some very upset. lol

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

A pretty general question, I'd say. I can't think of many people I've known, who have not "bad mouthed" someone else on occasion.

If you are referring to those who delight in demeaning others on a regular basis, I guess they are either real unhappy with themselves, or they're just actually petty, spiteful and mean-spirited.

(*Bad mouthing of very public figures who hold offices of power excluded)

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “A pretty general question, I'd say. I can't...

Bad mouthing on opinion sites. lol Petty, spiteful and mean spirited says it all.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP

In response to “Bad mouthing on opinion sites. lol Petty...

I've seen quite a bit of that, right here on this site.

Piper2 Piper2

If someone puts itself in a better place by pushing others down... that person is a c*nt. Sorry for language, but I know people like this and they are absolute garbage.

Sofia Sofia

In response to “If someone puts itself in a better place by...

I guess that's the only way they can feel superior, at least for a second or two, is to lie about others. Maybe they should seek professional help, just my opinion.

StarzAbove StarzAbove OP