Another Unnecessary Fatal Shooting by Police Officers, or Justified?

VicZincTiffaneeStarzAboveCarlaRoosterBubSynysterGatesMetal_god14OldRivers

Explained by Piper2...

The details of how and why Michael Dial ended up dead, are in the links provided..

I have to wonder (1) how did they know he wasn't armed if he didn't stop and (2) how did they know he was driving without a license?

Linnster Linnster

That's outrageous, they could have stopped him without killing him. Something needs to be done about that Sheriff.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “That's outrageous, they could have stopped...

I doubt if that will happen, but I do find Sheriff Oddie Shoupe's priorities in ordering his deputies to go ahead and kill a person suspected of minor infractions, pretty troubling.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “I doubt if that will happen, but I do find...

Very troubling, wonder how many more he ordered killed.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

I dont know how truthful his account is. I don't know if the suspect was trying to or going to harm someone. I do know that during the recording the Sheriff said "it was that old boy I whooped, he was giving us trouble down at the station". And he said " i thrive on the shit".
Regardless, the sheriff is still in his position and it is more than obvious that he has no basic human decency.

Carla Carla

In response to “I dont know how truthful his account is. I...

Yeah, that ole boy he had "whooped" and had in the jail once.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

Linnster Linnster

In response to “I have to wonder (1) how did they know he...

They wouldn't have known if he was armed, or not, since they shot him for not pulling over when pursued, and he didn't shoot at them or anything.
I suppose that the license plate on his truck was just not the one registered to that particular vehicle, but the details about that are sketchy.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “They wouldn't have known if he was armed, or...

Both good reasons not to have shot him.

Linnster Linnster

NOT justified, but unfortunately for Michael Dial, it was legal, and therein is where the problem lies. Cops always play with a stacked deck, or they don't play. That's why one should never be such a fool to take them on in public.
When you play by their rules, that's how you lose.
https://youtu.be/RGTLpGVF2pg

OldRivers OldRivers

In response to “NOT justified, but unfortunately for Michael...

If Mr Dial had followed their 'rules', he probably wouldn't have lost his life the way he did. I don't feel it was justified, either.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “If Mr Dial //had// followed their...

NO.
This ** was looking** for a fight/confrontation/ altercation with the cops, and he got it.
How do I know?
Because NOBODY is so stupid that they would think they can outrun the local and state police on a four lane highway, driving a broken down pick up truck and towing a load of unsecured junk. Nobody is that foolish. He KNEW he would be chased, driving that rickety rig.
So what I am saying is: IF you are looking for a fight because the cops are your enemy from a past incident, fight on YOUR terms, not theirs...because THEY can do whatever they want, and get away with it.

OldRivers OldRivers

In response to “NO. This **** was **//looking//** for a...

Yes... that was undeniably and obviously foolish, if he thought he might be able outrun the police in that vehicle.
I do have a different theory though, which of course is all it is. I think maybe Dial just wasn't thinking very clearly, that he didn't want to go back to that jail, and his first impulse was to just try and get away. Then he knew how hopeless it was, but was too afraid to stop, but was not looking for an altercation with the cops.

"Because THEY can do whatever they want, and get away with it." That is far too often true, no doubt.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “Yes... that was undeniably and obviously...

He was ramming the police cars, trying to show ole "Oddie" that Michael Dial is going to be a force to be reckoned with. (no)
Not thinking clearly? Yeah, I'll go along with that.

It was unjustified. They could have shot his tires or radiator out, run him out of gas, 100 things, and then just beat him to a pulp. Killing him was the easy way, and Oddie's way. Many small towns have a Michael Dial and a Sheriff Oddie. BOTH ****.

OldRivers OldRivers

In response to “He was ramming the police cars, trying to...

I saw that he did that, once or twice. Looked to me like he was mostly just trying to get away, though.

Since neither of us actually know what he was thinking or what drove him to react as he did, our theories are obviously just that...

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “I saw that he did that, once or twice...

It's also possible that Rich Little flew in from Canada and was impersonating Oddie Shoupe on the radio.
Could be. I don't know. I wasn't there. Just another theory.

Who cares? You don't pick fights with the cops in their environment, or on their turf. If you have a grudge, get them one-at-a-time, far away from their rules and their buddies.

OldRivers OldRivers

In response to “It's also //possible// that Rich Little flew...

I care, when someone is killed for reasons that are dubious to me, including those of the non-human kind. That would be why I've gone ahead and submitted posts on this and another site, related to the subject.

"It's also possible that Rich Little flew in from Canada and was impersonating Oddie Shoupe on the radio.
Could be."
I guess just about anything is possible, but that scenario is surely unlikely. Since neither one of us were there, I figure our theories about why the now deceased man acted as he did, are equally simply theories...

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “//**I**// care, when someone is killed for...

Noted. So essentially, the only correct answer to every post is " I don't know, I wasn't there". Otherwise , it is just theory. Got it (smile)

(no) For the last time, in my opinion, this kid died because he was stupid. "Who cares" what his reasoning?? ... and Oddie needs taught a lesson as well, but in private quarters.
What is so difficult to understand?

OldRivers OldRivers

In response to “Noted. So essentially, the only //correct//...

No, you are the one who brought that into the equation, on this post. I shared my own theory, and it is surely a fact that neither of us can know with certainty, exactly why the deceased man chose his actions that day. Just like many other times, when opinions and speculation about any event, are our opinion about what we see or hear when we aren't there.

Your opinion has been "noted", acknowledged, and appreciated, whether completely agreed with, or not..

Piper2 Piper2 OP

I just watched a video of two women being stripped searched by 2 male cops in a shopping mall and in front of many onlookers. How this is even legal is sickening to me. If this is the future of the country then this country is doomed. Google it, I tried to upload the video to here but I couldn't get it to work.

Tiffanee

In response to “I just watched a video of two women being...

There have quite a few instances of that I've seen and read about, but none in a shopping mall. I can't find it, but the ones I've seen were sickening to me, as well.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

Who's carrying the news piece? I'll visit the site and try posting it.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “Who's carrying the news piece? I'll visit the...

I saw it on a Facebook post but couldn't find it anywhere else but seeing two girls stripped down to their underwear while groped by 2 male cops while a crowd of people watched was very disturbing

Tiffanee

In response to “I saw it on a Facebook post but couldn't find...

Ah, I don't use the usual social sites :

Usually the police call in asking for female officers when one's not on site. I'm not at all sure why they'd handle things the way they did.

Thanks for trying to get it posted... wish I could've helped.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

Another "justified" shooting because someone was wearing a badge and gun and police uniform where does it stop cops are not supposed to be above the law,but I see more and more they choose to ignore this,serve and protect?More like Harrass and ignore.How much longer will it continue before something is done?

Metal_god14

In response to “Another "justified" shooting because...

Exactly right. In the eyes of the cops, the justification is the uniform.

OldRivers OldRivers

It says he was driving towards oncoming traffic with no intention to stop...say he ran into a family members car and killed them, there would have been an outcry and the police would have been blamed for not stopping him...the guy was a criminal and no one can say other lives were not at risk.....all he had to do was stop....

JD JD

In response to “It says he was driving towards oncoming...

Yes. Although, that wasn't shown in the video of the chase, the pursuit could certainly have endangered other lives.

Before his foolish decision to not stop for the police, his "crimes" were minor...

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “Yes. Although, that wasn't shown in the...

It did say he drove at oncoming traffic and that is what I based my reply on...they were minor and he should of stopped....but I understand other people replies..

JD JD

Two Ohio Police Officers Killed Responding to 911 Hangup Call

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Two Ohio Police Officers Killed Responding to...

That is terrible, and very sad.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

Not enough information for me to know what happened.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “Not enough information for me to know what...

It's pretty clear what happened, in the text, audio and video provided on the links.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

Maybe we should treat all police officers like Barney Fife ... only give them one bullet, which they can't keep in their gun.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

In response to “Maybe we should treat all police officers...

Nah... sure would be nice though, if all police officers were at least as basically good, as Barney Fife.

Piper2 Piper2 OP

In response to “Nah... sure would be nice though, if all...

Every time someone suggest America should copy the restrictive gun laws of some other country ... I reply that I would favor it, if we started with the government forces. Police, FBI, BATFE, Postal Inspectors, US Marshalls, DEA, etc, etc - all should be disarmed, and only a select limited number allowed firearms.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun