ErasmusB_FurmanSmallDWFTiffaneeFlrdsgnsPhilboydStudgeThedudeyouhatetomeetVicZincWill_Janitorastral_queenTrishVrendowl

HashstagJerryHendricksonBozetteWalt_OReagun

PhilboydStudgePiper2Will_Janitor
Tolerance cannot be extended to the intolerant. That is just one of the many logical dilemmas we face as humans. It cannot be justified with logic nor can it be refuted in practice. If we tolerate intolerance then intolerance wins.

By your logic, intolerance wins no matter what. The Intolerant of the Intolerant win, making the winner the Intolerant.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

When faced with a person saying intolerant things I usually try to respond with reason. When that fails I then just avoid the person.

I guess it matter of degrees. When someone says something blatantly intolerant I try to respond with reason.. and not intolerance. If my attempt at reasoning fails I'll just avoid that person in the future.

I hope to never see intolerance being expressed by violence (like my Jewish neighbors being rounded up and put onto trains). However if I do, I hope to have the courage to stand up for the victims, just as I hope they would do for me if the tables were turned. Regardless of the consequences.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

I used to think we could tolerate supremacist, I no longer do. To me it is like shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater. To dangerous to just ignore.

VicZinc VicZinc

You don't say?
Which omniscient being gets to decide who or what is tolerable and what or who is intolerable? Who decides?
No, I prefer to decide for myself what is tolerable or intolerable, moral or immoral, good or evil. I will tolerate who or what I please based upon my eyes, ears, and experience.

Hashstag Hashstag

In response to “You don't say? Which omniscient being gets...

As you should. I shall too.

ErasmusB_FurmanSmall ErasmusB_FurmanSmall OP

If you allow the intolerant to come to power there'll be no more tolerance for anyone

DWF DWF

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “By your logic, intolerance wins no matter...

Such is the conundrum.

I totally agree! It's a catch 22 no matter which way you turn.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

You are correct.

Karl Popper called this "the freedom paradox". Here's a snippet from his book; https://www.goodreads.com/quote...t-that-freedom

(pce)

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “You are correct. Karl Popper called this...

Having read Popper many years ago I should have recognized that his philosophy was a seed for this thought. Thanks for pointing that out and giving him his due credit.

According to your own "logic",
you should not be tolerated.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “(l)

❤️ Hope you and your wife had a great Valentine's Day. :)

Bozette Bozette

In response to “❤️ Hope you and your wife had a great...

Kinda, I'm in some kind of depressed fog. It happens this time of year to me, not enough Sun and warmth and I have some problems being happy. The good news is that we're up for a bit of a warm spell and I can do some outdoor work. I feel confined by winter at this time of year, every year. Don't think I'm a sad sack; I just need some energy.

JerryHendrickson JerryHendrickson

In response to “Kinda, I'm in some kind of depressed fog. It...

Got a bit of cabin fever myself. It was warmer today... I hope it lasts a spell.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “According to your own "logic", ...

And it seem that you barely do tolerate me, so perhaps I am correct after all.

In response to “And it seem that you barely do tolerate me...

Disagreement is not the equivalent of intolerance.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “Disagreement is //not// the equivalent of...

You are correct and I apologize. Thank you for you comments.

In response to “You are correct and I apologize. Thank you...

No apology is necessary. We can agree to disagree.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “No apology is necessary. We can agree to...

To free a person from error is to give, not to take away. I was wrong and am truly sorry I reacted as I did.

So if a stream passes between your property and my property, and it only carries enough water for one of us, who decides which of us is intolerant?

that_guy that_guy

That depends on what you mean by "tolerate".

If you mean you can't tolerate the intolerant to verbalize their intolerance ... that is different than not tolerating the intolerant to act on their intolerance.

Walt_OReagun Walt_OReagun

This includes being indifferent to intolerance.. I find both intolerable.

Vrendowl Vrendowl