Another  shooting at a school. Will   there ever be a way to protect  the  children?
  • Topics:LawAmbushMurder
  • Post Of The Day on Feb 15th 2018

JDdru18StarzAboveOzSurferWill_JanitorPartyOfOneMonaLeaCarlaZonkeyBallsProdigalSonRoosterSynysterGates
Another shooting at a school. Will there ever be a way to protect the children?

Explained by LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred...

Watching the news tonight I heard an ex student came into a school in Florida and shot at least 17 people dead. If I had kids I wouldn't want to send them to a public school.

Saw some of that on the news. My question is? Where are they getting those guns?

Rooster Rooster

I haven't heard the news for a while but I'm very sorry to hear this, it's even worse when kids are involved.

OzSurfer OzSurfer

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Saw some of that on the news. My question is?...

Exactly I surmise he got it from his parents - or he is a gang guy and his gang has lots of guns. They will be able to ask him why. Let us hope he will be punished greatly.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred OP

In response to “Exactly I surmise he got it from his...

Tonight they say he bought it legally.

It's a knee jerk reaction when such tragedies happen to wonder that, and/or blame the NRA as well as to advocate for the GOVERNMENT to impose EVEN MORE gun laws onto the law abiding citizens in our country, which will NOT/NEVER deter a maniac (clearly having mental issues) from obtaining a gun OR using any other type of a homemade weapon to commit their heinous acts of terror on their fellow man.
Murder is ILLEGAL as is heroine/opioids ILLEGAL, yet those two for example as being ILLEGAL, have not deterred people from murdering their fellow man or easily purchasing heroine/opioids in our country.

Enacting even MORE laws is always our GOVERNMENTS go to/quick fix/"feel good" answer/solution to all that ails our country domestically, when common sense dictates that there's really no amount of laws that will deter those with a criminal mindset or deter those suffering from sever mental illness/hallucinations from committing their crimes.

In my opinion, it seems for the past 30 years a lot of kids from the age of 6, as well as adults in our country are being prescribed a daily legal drug(s) by their doctors as an easy fix to help them deal with their depression, bi-polar, addiction to cigarettes etc., where if you really listen to the whisper of those drug commercials side affects(hallucinations, thoughts of suicide etc.), the side affects of taking those LEGAL drugs are far worse than what the person is suffering from.

I would be curious to know if those committing these all too often tragic mass murders were on LEGAL daily drugs for years that were prescribed to them by their doctors. Eh but because big pharma companies are HUGE donors to both political party's WE THE PEOPLE will never know if they were.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “It's a knee jerk reaction when such tragedies...

Right Gronk, drugs are out of control as well. It is always a male kid. It is so sad we need to control them somehow, or teach them to be non violent.

In response to “Right Gronk, drugs are out of control as...

I've never thought of the **** demographic but, yes, at least in school's mass shootings, yes - they've always been male. Hmm...

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “I've never thought of the **** demographic...

The one thing in common that all these HS shooters have....is that they were all on some kind of LEGAL drug/meds that they as CHILDREN were prescribed to take on a daily basis by their family doctors with their parent(s) PERMISSION, as a quick "FIX" for their parent(s) to make their normal hyper sons no longer being so hyper(out of their hair)....therefore legally drugging their NORMAL hyper sons to become zombies who just want to sit on the couch playing violent video games.

Having even more gun laws imposed on legal gun owners/citizens who OBEY our LAWS will NEVER EVER deter the criminals or the mentally unstable from getting a gun!!! In our country there are over 300 million legal guns in our country owned by LAW ABIDING citizens, so how the hell does the far left even think that if ONE DAY that their government is in complete CONTROL that they're going to go about confiscating our legal guns as LAW ABIDING citizens... have the pansy ANTI-FA loons/military go door to door with their bats DEMANDING to come into our homes to search our homes to see if we have guns..which by the way is an infringement on our 4th Amendment rights.

Gronk17 Gronk17

Doctors over prescribing legal drugs is out of control in our country...which is the catalyst to one eventually looking for another drug(any type of drug) once their doctor(s) stops LEGALLY prescribing them that drug.
When my son was 16 (who supposedly needed his wisdom teeth pulled) our day before surgery appointment ended with this doctor prescribing me with a medication to give to my SIXTEEN year old son that night before his oral dental procedure the next day for "anxiety";... because according to this doctor my son would '"most likely" be feeling anxiety while trying to go to sleep tonight,so this drug would help EASE the anxiety he would be feeling.

If not for me being a COMMON SENSE parent, I would have ignorantly just gave my son this prescribed drug just because a DOCTOR told me to give this drug to my SIXTEEN year old son....needless to say, I cancelled by son's oral surgery(of course telling them WHY).. my son never had that surgery for his wisdom teeth to be pulled as a "preventative" surgery for the supposed pain his wisdom teeth would eventually cause him to have...eh two years later and my son's wisdom teeth still have not caused him any pain.

We as parents have to trust our own instincts, raise our children to have morals and values..... and to instill in our children at a young age via our parenting, that there WILL be consequences we stick by when they misbehave.

Eh too many parents ever since the 80's CODDLE/SPOIL their kids out of guilt, and/or let a doctor prescribe their NORMAL rambunctious 6 year old sons to be put on meds so they as parents don't have to deal with their young sons NORMAL hyper behavior.

My ex friend who was more into her dating life than parenting her only son's life, self diagnosed her NORMAL 2 year old son as having ADHD at TWO freakin' years old because he was too "hyper" for her...sure enough right when he turned 6 she convinced her son's pediatrician that her son had ADHD, thus her son being put on daily ADHD meds since he was 6 years old. and is sadly now that "weird" kid in our city's HS, who was my son's friend when they were little because his mom and I were friends back then before she started legally drugging/medicating her NORMAL son.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Well that is your opinion.

Lorraine, as a mom of 4 children with my oldest being 38 years old and my youngest being 13 years old...I as a politically informed American as well as an involved parent of my children's public education over the years, can CLEARLY see how our public schools and entertainment media have been infiltrated with far leftist to subliminally INDOCTRINATE our youth with their leftist idealism.
Thankfully, my children do not buy into our MSM/pop stars politically IGNORANT rhetoric when it comes to FACTS.
I told my 18 year old that when debating his leftist teachers and classmates who support EVEN MORE gun LAWS in our country, to simply and respectfully say this to shut them down...."I feel teenagers should no longer be able to get a drivers license to drive, because according to GOVERNMENT stats it's TEENANGE drivers who cause the most deadly accidents in our country, that overwhelmingly supercede a teenager being killed by a gun.

Lorraine, bottom line is that our GOVERNMENT no matter how many laws they pass, CAN NOT and WILL NEVER stop a lunatic from breaking any of the new laws they enact!!

As I stated before, HEROINE has always been an ILLEGAL drug in our country.. yet somehow it's now the most POPULAR drug of choice for drug users???? How is that even possible given it's always been an ILLEGAL drug in our country and it's not on a shelf in a store for them to purchase???
According to our country's MSM, liberal and RINO politicians, IF even more gun laws are passed or better yet ALL guns are banned... there supposedly will no longer be a LUNATIC able to kill as many people as they can BECAUSE they under these new GUN LAWS will have to abide by these new gun laws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Gronk17 Gronk17

EXACTLY. I don't see everyone up in arms to ban the drugs.

beachbum beachbum

Firearms are stolen, bought, and found - you know that :) - and if not a firearm then it'd be something else. Anger goes where anger wants and the method won't really matter.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

The nightly news said he bought it legally, even after posting on YouTube about wanting to be a professional high school shooter. They said he fell through the cracks. That is NOT acceptable. How are they going to catch a terrorist when they can't even catch a high school drop out.

There seems to be no end to angry crazies with guns.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “There seems to be no end to angry crazies...

Riiiiight because if the "progressives" in the USA GOVERNMENT are successful in confiscating all the guns in our country there will no longer be crazy people wanting to kill people in a mass murder manner...You do realize that Hitler successfully disarmed the German citizens of their guns under the guise of doing so for the betterment of Germany, therefore the Jews in Germany having no means of defending themselves when Hitler's men rounded up their families to be murdered in his GAS CHAMBERS.

If you don't think that could happen in the USA, you're delusional. Progressives today have such a warped, deranged hatred towards anyone who disagrees with their "progressive" agenda, that if they COULD, they would have all Conservatives put to death for the "betterment of the USA"... in their vision of their AmeriKa.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Riiiiight because if the...

Wow, what a rant there Gronk, are you just another crazy looking to murder innocent people? You sure seem to be unbalanced.

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

In response to “Wow, what a rant there Gronk, are you just...

Ya know it was about 20 years or so ago when I first heard someone say "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"...and back then I just laughed it off as them being a far right partisan, which I am not....but as I got older and wiser and not being able to have a respectful, civilized conversation with my "tolerant" liberal relatives, I realized that liberalism REALLY is a MENTAL DISORDER.
Which you clearly suffer from that disorder for you to claim/write such an asinine comment of me being another crazy looking to murder innocent people... based on your delusional interpretation of my post, smh.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Ya know it was about 20 years or so ago when...

Gronk. I don't know what liberalism is. The people I talked about are not at all innocent, they are criminals who have no business being in this country.

In response to “Gronk. I don't know what liberalism is. The...

Lorraine, my response that you're replying to me was not for you, I was replying back to Flrdfgsns comment....however you did pique my curiosity with you stating "I don't know what liberalism is." How do you not know what liberalism is OR know what being a liberal means today in the USA??
One being a democrat/liberal TODAY is the exact opposite of JFK's(d) beliefs and policies as our CIC....thus why the deep state in our government(on the left and the right) had him assassinated in his 1st term.

Gronk17 Gronk17

Keyword - crazies.

Budwick Budwick

Not unless this country is prepared to deal with the existing and non existing gun laws.

dru18 dru18

In response to “Not unless this country is prepared to deal...

Florida High School Shooter Followed Syrian Resistance And Iraqi Fighter Groups

prepared is in how?
School Had Warned Teacher About Florida High School Shooter In Past

disarming me.... will not make you SAFER

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “Florida High School Shooter Followed Syrian...

What took you so long?

So what do you propose, having the kids behind their desks armed with guns,shooting everything that moved?

dru18 dru18

In response to “What took you so long? So what do you...

how about this
those parents who want their kids to go to a gun free zone school WHICH THIS WAS ONE

an parents who want tier kids going to a school with RESPONSIBLE armed citizens guarding them.

ever wonder why cop shops
DON"T get shot up?

I'll help you out

they WILL SHOOT BACK

My rights don't come from you or Govement

you want to disarm me?

here I am

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “how about this those parents who want their...

So you are equating a bunch of frighten kids with trained police officers?

dru18 dru18

In response to “So you are equating a bunch of frighten kids...

"Not unless this country is prepared to deal with the existing and non existing gun laws."

I offered a solution
you twist it into a strawman clusterfuck

what changed in the schools? wasn't the firearms.

Liberalism is what changed the schools

how Dumbed down has the kids gotten?

a thought for you
the COLLEGE age kiddos who do tide products.... will be voting

that makes me all warm an fuzzy inside

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “"Not unless this country is prepared to...

"ever wonder why cop shops
DON"T get shot up?

I'll help you out

they WILL SHOOT BACK"

Your words, not mine.

dru18 dru18

In response to “"ever wonder why cop shops DON"T get...

OH ya that is why police are usually welcomed at late night places or food places to deter troubles in the area.

"how Dumbed down has the kids gotten?"

judging by your poor use of the English language, they can't get much "dumber" than you

Flrdsgns Flrdsgns

Kids would probably shoot the teacher first. Kids can't be trusted.

Source please. I can find no references to Nikolas Cruz being associated with Syria/Iraq.

I see he was obsessed with guns and other weapons, and was stalking a girl at the school..

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Source please. I can find no references to...

Vic where did you hear that he was stalking?

In response to “Vic where did you hear that he was stalking?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02...-shooting.html

By the way I did find a few source quoting Trace Gallagher of FOX news as saying the Cruz 'followed' resistance groups, like Syrian Resistance groups and fighter groups out of Iraq on instagram. Doesn't look like FOX reported it, only quotes out of Australia attributed to Gallagher and repeated in right-wing media. These groups btw are aligned with US military.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/us/nikolas-c...

Thanks Vic - you are so good at digging up information. This tells me the security at that school was terrible - an expelled student should never have gotten in there at all.

In response to “Thanks Vic - you are so good at digging up...

A mentally ill person should never have gotten a gun...period!

dru18 dru18

Even now, as I'm pretty much a dead man walking, I can take you one-on-one. Guns aren't the problem here. It's all about the attitude.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

dru18, you clearly do not know about the 20,000 plus gun control LAWS in our country already, that ONLY law abiding citizens abide by. Man those of you on the left just blindly believe whatever "facts" you're told by your liberal masters and our media, smh.

Please explain in detail what new GUN CONTROL law you have in mind that would prevent a lunatic from obtaining a gun? While you're at it, explain to me why millions of people still commit murder and are able to purchase heroine when both are ILLEGAL.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “dru18, you clearly do not know about the...

You Wrote - explain to me why millions of people still commit murder and are able to purchase heroine when both are ILLEGALto me drugs>>> What you want to buy heroin? Not all the murders are mass murders, guns cause the mass murders heroin doesn't. I mostly feel people who kill themselves with drugs are better gone.

In response to “You Wrote - explain to me why millions of...

Lorraine, deaths caused by vehicles BY FAR every year out number the deaths caused by guns(not to mention legal abortions)...yet no one on the left wants to call for the banning of cars or the banning of abortions....just banning guns "for the children."
As I stated in another post, there are already 20K something gun laws on the books in our country...so please explain what NEW gun law that will prevent another mentally ill teenager from shooting up his HS???

We as a country need our politician to take a good look at big pharma, NOT the NRA.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “Lorraine, deaths caused by vehicles BY FAR...

gronk who said anything about abortion. Go make your own post if you want to rave!

There will be more shootings like this unless they enact stricter gun laws and do away with the powerful rifles. But nothing will be done, the NRA has Congress in its hip pocket.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “There will be more shootings like this unless...

Seems like it. Only way is to be stronger than the NRA. I know this is something I will check before I vote. See how they act towards stronger gun controls.

In response to “Seems like it. Only way is to be stronger...

The Republicans are hiding out this morning because they don't want to make any comments about the shootings and the NRA. They need to step up to the plate, enact stricter back ground checks, halt the sale of these high powered guns. But they won't, all they will do is send their thoughts and prayers. That's not enough..... Even the president hasn't said anything or sent condolences in this matter.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “The Republicans are hiding out this morning...

It isn't so much the power of the weapon. It is the volume. Those rifles hold 100 rounds in one magazine.

Carla Carla

In response to “It isn't so much the power of the weapon. It...

I know, they are designed to kill a lot of people.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Starz - I was listening to a documentary on PBS today. They brought up the fact this cruz kid bought his gun legalistically at 17 yrs. old. He can't buy a beer but he can buy all the guns he wants. OMG so true, Age limits wuld help a bit. I think if people want a gun they should take classes that do in depth physiological test to weed out the nuts.

In response to “Starz - I was listening to a documentary on...

I think they should do away with the assault weapons. They are meant to kill a lot of people. No one will hunt animals with them, they would rip an animal to bits.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I think they should do away with the assault...

Only by volume. A high powered hunting rifle has a much more powerful shot. Even high powered hand guns pack a much more powerful shot. But...you cannot point and pull the trigger a hundred times before reloading. It is the magazine. That is the allure of those type of weapons. And...they are very light weight. No real kick.

Carla Carla

In response to “Only by volume. A high powered hunting rifle...

I don't know much about guns, my husband has a rifle, shotgun, and hand gun. He used to hunt a lot, but not lately. But an assault rifle/magazine is designed to kill lots of people, and should never be in the hands of a civilian. As proven by Florida school shooting.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Yes Staarz, I think we agree on most things . That is why I remember you from your lady blue days.

In response to “Yes Staarz, I think we agree on most...

You've got me mixed up, I wasn't lady blue, in fact I detested her. We never ever got along.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Oh really? Sorry for the mix up.

Can't stand LadyBlue....

StarzAbove StarzAbove

thoughts & prayers to the families

I'm getting really tired of typing those words

gold is protected by guns

the children are not

something must change

took the LIBERALS 11 minutes to blame the NRA
the bodies were even cold
that's gotta be some sort of record

Neanderthal_Momdoer Neanderthal_Momdoer

In response to “thoughts & prayers to the families I'm...

How will you ever handle finding out the shooter might not be a liberal. He might be one of your kind.

Thank goodness he had access to his guns. Yippeee

MonaLea

In response to “How will you ever handle finding out the...

What Mona? I am no kind so no idea what you are talking about?

In response to “What Mona? I am no kind so no idea what you...

noooooo, my comment is for Neanderthal who uses everything to rage at liberals. just sick of it. 17 kids died today. The shooter had easy access to guns and I am hating that.

MonaLea

The supposed compassionate liberal/democrat mantra during times like this, is..." you never let a serious crisis go to waste", therefore why Connecticut's Democrat Senator Blumenthal(who LIED about his military experience in the Vietnam War) took to the Senate floor today DURING this tragedy, to use this tragedy as a POLITICIAN to call for more GUN CONTROL laws in our country!!!?????
#Liberalismisamentaldisorder

Gronk17 Gronk17

Mass shootings are as American as apple pie.

Many Americans seem to be convinced there is no solution. That's bull. There's always a solution.

Logan Logan

In response to “Mass shootings are as American as apple...

They shouldn't be common. NRA has got to shut up and let lawmakers take guns out of the crazy hands

One part of the solution is for Dr's to be more cognizant of who they're prescribing LEGAL meds to...and for them to not automatically prescribe legal drugs to be taken on a daily basis to a 6 year old kid whose parent(s) can't deal with their rambunctious NORMAL hyper 6 year old child after a long day at work.

Gronk17 Gronk17

What's the solution then?

AliceD AliceD

If only there was a way to prevent children from being killed because some random **** had a gun...

DWF DWF

In response to “If only there was a way to prevent children...

Maybe if he didn't have a gun a bad attitude or wasn't allowed into a school he had no reason to be visiting (what) I am glad they got him alive so he can rot in jail forever "not" I wish he would be put to death immediately, no matter what his excuse is, it isn't good enough...

Watching the killer be handled with such care and compassion from those who were handling him made me think of all the grief and pain
he caused to those kids, their families, school, communities and this nation.
The school will be put under a microscope because the warning signs were there and not addressed, but the bigger question is how did he get his hands on that gun? Where were his parents in all of this? Lots of questions.......

ozzyboy ozzyboy

In response to “Watching the killer be handled with such care...

The person who committed this mass murder is clearly mentally unstable...yes how and where he got his gun is what we all do want to know to prevent such a person from getting a gun....however even if he couldn't access a gun to commit his massacre, he as a mentally unstable person who was HELL BENT on killing as many students as he could, would have found a different manner to do so. Access to guns is NOT why these people commit their mass murders, their mental state is the REASON why.

Gronk17 Gronk17

In response to “The person who committed this mass murder is...

"yes how and where he got his gun is what we all do want to know to prevent such a person from getting a gun"

Which is what President Obama passed in his last year and what Trump undid in his first year.

dru18 dru18

In response to “"yes how and where he got his gun is what...

Man you really don't have a clue about politics do you? This post of yours only further proves that you are only a HEADLINE reader for you to ignorantly post this nonsense as a "fact".
Did you even look into the FACTS as to the reason WHY President Trump(rightfully so) reversed this Obama policy, that the ACLU agreed with, of course you didn't...nope instead BECAUSE of you being a "tolerant" partisan liberal, you instead just blindly/automatically believed what you were TOLD by our "trusted" media, your democrat MASTERS and what our HS drop out liberal hollyweird celebrities opinions are about this policy reversal, smh.

Eh you probably read and believed CNN's take on RIFLES being CC weapons lol!!! Not having the COMMON SENSE to even question in your heads 'huh, how is one able to CONCEALand carry a RIFLE.....,nope instead you IGNORANT gun grabbers all just blindly/ignorantly believed what CNN reported.

Gronk17 Gronk17

Ozzy, I didn't see them doing anything with him. I suppose police are forced to treat criminal right or they get yelled at about police brutality and all. Such a shame these fool shooters don't put the gun to themselves before anyone else.

In response to “Ozzy, I didn't see them doing anything with...

Yes, the police have to remain professional even under these
trying circumstances. They are scrutinized for their every move and if they even look wrong at these criminals they will be hung out to dry.
I have a good friend down in that area and I worry for him every day.

ozzyboy ozzyboy

19 years old. Old enough, by federal law, to buy an ar15 but too young to buy a handgun.
Lock down drills in our schools. Kids locked into their class rooms everyday.
25 school shootings since Columbine.
It isn't Isis or Mexicans or the Taliban or al quida that are killing us dead. It is us that are killing us dead.

Carla Carla

In response to “19 years old. Old enough, by federal law, to...

-Between 2008 and 2014, 40% of all murder convictions in Florida were criminal aliens. In New York it was 34% and Arizona 17.8%.

-During those years, criminal aliens accounted for 38% of all murder convictions in the five states of California, Texas, Arizona, Florida and New York, while illegal aliens constitute only 5.6% of the total population in those states.

-That 38% represents 7,085 murders out of the total of 18,643.

Those astounding numbers were compiled by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) using official Department of Justice data on criminal aliens in the nation’s correctional system.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-jo...n-some-states/
https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-05-646R

During those same years, 2008 -2014, there were 104 people killed by school shooters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S..._United_States

So if you compare the numbers, foreign criminals kill about 680 times more Americans than school shooters.

Maze Maze

In response to “-Between 2008 and 2014, 40% of all murder...

Oh...maze. It would behoove you to look deeper...
www.centersforsecuritypolicy.org/2015/12/04/problems-with-gao-illegal-alien-crime-stats/.....
Brietbart simply feeds what it's readers love to eat.

Btw...the above article is from the man whose data was used for brietbarts story.

Carla Carla

In response to “Oh...maze. It would behoove you to look...

Bombshell Report Reveals Up To 30% Of Federal Inmates Are Illegal Immigrants

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has released its findings on the immigration status of federal prison inmates, as mandated in an Executive Order signed during President Trump's first week in the White House. The report reveals that of the 37,557 confirmed immigrants in the federal prison system, 35,334 (94%) of them are in the United States illegally - which means out of a total of 185,507, federally incarcerated individuals, over 19% are confirmed illegal immigrants - which, in 2014, cost U.S. taxpayers $1.87 billion to house.

It should be noted that the 19% figure is based on known illegals in federal prison - while 58,766 individuals are "known or suspected" to be illegal. If we apply the 94% confirmed illegal rate to the "known or suspected" population, it brings the total number of potential incarcerated illegal immigrants to 55,240 - or 30% of federal incarcerations.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/...nmates-illegal

Maze Maze

In response to “Bombshell Report Reveals Up To 30% Of Federal...

Maze - that is interesting. I hope they are sent back to country of origin, after being implanted with a chip that will blow them apart as soon as they cross our boarder again. Too bad for a criminal who won't learn. Ha Ha..

R.I.P young kids...you had your life ahead of you and it was taken away by some sick lowlife.....without guns they would not be shot..but it's hard to stop crazy people...

JD JD

I admit that I've had the advantage of time to learn more about this matter before commenting.

Once again, this is NOT a gun control issue. It's a mental health issue. The kid has a mental health problem history. He has a violent history. He was expelled from that school. He liked shooting animals. He WAS going to counseling, then stopped going. He WAS on medications, then stopped. The Superintendent implied that there was more information in his record that he could not share because of HIPPA laws.

Gosh, with all that recent history that we DO know - who could have seen this coming? EVERYBODY!

The kid did not belong in general population. We need to re-open asylums to deal with whack-a-doodles like this. We can't expect teachers to do all the heavy lifting AND teach healthy kids too.

Leave the 2nd Amendment alone. Healthy gun owners and their guns are NOT the problem. Crazy people forced to live in the general population and ticking time bombs.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I admit that I've had the advantage of time...

"Once again, this is NOT a gun control issue. It's a mental health issue"

It's a conservative issue, own it.

dru18 dru18

In response to “"Once again, this is NOT a gun control...

Dru, can you cite an example in which gun control, even extreme gun control has worked? You can't, because it doesn't.

Instead of fixating on finding ways for government to control us, how about we focus on looking at ideas that might actually work?

Budwick Budwick

Today it semms to be one in the same.

Striker gun laws may decrease some of these mass murders but it will never go away. It's too easy to get guns illegally nowadays, that's the bug problem.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Striker gun laws may decrease some of these...

Hmm, I hadn't considered the bug problem. (hmm)

(hehe)

Maze Maze

I didn't bother to go through all of the chains or opinions, I had to give up... Life is too precious to be spent here. Anyways, the gist is that... Well... We have had one school shooting in Finland (5.3 million people) in the last one hundred years and let's go for USA... Yeah, we're losing and not even marginally. Some might say... We just simply take better care of our children, but that's not the case. In every civilized society, the one thing, that is more or less a defining characteristic towards the probability of violence (which has nothing to do with television, Internet or any other media) is the availability to the means. We used to be notoriously violent, but in the last three decades, it has changed a lot. Mostly because Finns have become more civilized, but also because all of the firearms must be registered and the unregistered ones were accepted "as so", without questions, up to 2011 or thereabouts.

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

In response to “I didn't bother to go through all of the...

So if you register a gun, that makes it inoperable to a crazy person?

AliceD AliceD

In response to “So if you register a gun, that makes it...

Obviously not.

Then again, am a crazy person?

ZonkeyBalls ZonkeyBalls

No anyone could steal it and use it at this point. But they are working on a gun that will work only with owners fingerprints.

Not yet but that would be a good thing much like cars that won't start unless you pass a Breathalyzer test. Let us think on how that would work - a short quiz at each use that will show if they need to be shut out?

In response to “Not yet but that would be a good thing much...

Errrr, who pays for all of this?

AliceD AliceD

Not sure how true this is ...

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Not sure how true this is...

It's not. The guy in that picture is not Nikolas Cruz either; it's a pro-communist Facebook user named Marcel Fontaine. No evidence at all that Cruz has anything to do with ANTIFA or communism.

Dubious claims about him being associated with the white nationalist group Republic of Florida are also going around, but law enforcement hasn't confirmed it.

People are desperately trying to connect him to groups they hate, that's for sure. Quite possibly he did this all by himself without any group influence.

Thibault Thibault

In response to “It's not. The guy in that picture is not...

I guess we shall see.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Wasn't supposed to be cruz picture, just all i could find when searching for pictures. I think he did it himself,

It was obvious to everyone at the school that the guy was unstable and dangerous, a likely school shooter, and yet nothing was done to prevent him from attacking besides banning him from bringing a backpack on campus. That being the case, I don't see any reason to believe school shootings will be prevented in the future. For the time being, it's a risk that youth face, like drowning or car accidents, both of which kill many times more people.

Why does this happen in the US more than other places?

Here's my take, for what it's worth. As long as violence is glorified in popular culture, some people will glorify violence, and that will lead to... violence, it's a pretty short line from A to B. Action arises from thought, and more than any other country, America's "entertainment industry" actively promotes and exports violent thoughts in the form of movies, television, music and video games. It is the epicenter of that stuff, so it's where most of the action is. People from other countries have access to it, but Americans are bathed in it.

Add to that the psychiatric profession's over reliance on antidepressant drugs which make some people homicidal (more often suicidal), and you have a kind of perfect storm of potential.

In that guy's case, it looks he had the ideation for a long time, but I'd guess it wasn't until his mother died that he stopped caring completely and could actually carry out such an act. All it took then was a reason, and I guess he found one.

Maze Maze

In response to “It was obvious to everyone at the school that...

I know, time to pay students cash or compliments for ratting on these kooks. Better safe than sorry.

Probably. I don't see it happening on my lifetime, though.

Sofia Sofia

I'll restate what I said on the DeFranco thread and add a few things:

If the shooter had been an illegal immigrant, we would be talking immediately about border security, and it wouldn't be wrong to do so. Same situation here with the gun discussion. That doesn't mean that guns are the only issue at stake here and it doesn't mean, as the alarmists will claim, that any discussion of guns is the equivalent of a ban on all guns and immediate removal of all guns from the hands of white patriots. It means we recognize that there's a problem (the number of mass shootings in the U.S. has gone up exponentially; all the deadliest ones have happened in recent years and they keep happening) and address it. Yes, now is the time to talk about EVERYTHING related to mass shootings and their prevention, including guns, mental health, the glorification of violence in the media, the education system, and security.

Jumping to an extreme and claiming that it wouldn't work is just another way of doing nothing. You start small and you save lives. There could be insurance requirements on all guns and a universal background check requirement. We could create a centralized, searchable federal database of all guns. Treat guns like cars. Increase mental health funding or at least improve the public education system so that at-risk students have more resources. The fact that the perpetrators tend to be young men (of various races) tells me that men with mental health issues are not being given any outlets for their issues, allowing rage to grow and allowing them to seek the most dramatic outlet. There are a lot of issues at stake; it isn't just guns and it isn't just mental health and it isn't just the media. A multi-faceted problem requires a multi-faceted solution. I'm not saying I have the solution. These are just some things to consider.

Thibault Thibault

One problem is kids are not disciplined nowadays if you discipline your kids nowadays you are charged with child abuse.

Metal_god14

In response to “One problem is kids are not disciplined...

MG I DO AGREE . I have no kids but I see the problem often. My mom would wack our butts and say stop it. She would be in jail. Today it is kids go nuts until they get older then they end up in jail and are lost forever.

People do not need guns to live on this earth.Then why do governments give licence for making guns and licence to own one by the civil society.Even military using arms is inhuman because they kill other human beings in the name of nationalism, sovereignty etc

ezhil

In response to “People do not need guns to live on this...

ezhil - Truly there is no need for guns except for military or police. Gun owners and hunters are enjoying a privilege many just do not deserve. But soldiers do need arms or we will all be under islam or something else USA will not want. Make the guns more difficult for the unstables of the population to buy or use. Maybe punish the gun owners - for crimes committed with their unprotected gun will help.