The Dude is right. Amirite ?

Darkest_SerenityPhilboydStudgeVicZincTiffaneeRoosterWill_JanitorCarlaThibaultSynysterGatesPiper2BillDerMashaAda

Nobody :)

PhilboydStudgeVicZincPiper2Darkest_SerenityStarzAboveAdaWill_JanitorMashaprimeiroCarlaProdigalSonRoosterSynysterGates
The Dude is right. Amirite ?

Explained by Darkest_Serenity...

at what point does someone's opinion cause you to want that person silenced in some way. When it's dangerous (ie inciting violence in others against others/Pedophiles not included , they bring out my very aggressive side and I make no apologies for my feelings about that Scum) , when it's offensive(ie Racist) or when you just think "OMG that's such an idiotic comment , how can you think like this"( ie Lib's are Pussy wearing Fem Nazi's /Con's are Women hating misogynists) *you get my drift* I want to discuss this / want your feedback/thoughts/opinions.........Ser

I agree. It's amazing how people these days seem loath to accept that someone may not agree with their political opinion. Usually there is some policy issue/idea that starts the the discussion which then immediately goes right to accusassions of hatred, lying, steeling, racist, misogyny, ..etc Without ever even bringing up any pros or cons of the original idea. There is no real discussion or sharing of ideas. There is only I hate Trump and the stupid conservatives that elected him, or I hate Hillary and the asinine liberals that voted for her. Actually, talking about religion is a welcome relief these days in comparison. Ha!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Other people's opinions only bother me when they are attacking me while hiding behind a computer...constructive criticism is ok

JD JD

In response to “Other people's opinions only bother me when...

I think we've both mellowed out JD you certainly have and I agree about the constructive criticism being acceptable , that's something I usually choose to learn from.

If it's just criticism for the sake of it , I'll usually choose to ignore it these days.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

In response to “I think we've both mellowed out JD you...

Definitely mellowed....

JD JD

In response to “Definitely mellowed....

(smile) less arguing , more fun because I do have a laugh when I come on here.

thank you Platinum

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

In response to “(smile) less arguing , more fun because I do...

Love seeing you happy Tazzy...

JD JD

In response to “Love seeing you happy Tazzy...

I Love it when you call me Tazzy and ditto I'm much happier on here when you're happy and having fun
especially with me. (wink)

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

Sure...there are plenty of opinions I don't agree with and don't want to hear. Sometimes I can't fathom where people's heads are. But that's just me forming an opinion of their opinion...lol. It's all a tug of war with our beliefs system being the rope we are trying to hold onto.

ProdigalSon ProdigalSon

In response to “Sure...there are plenty of opinions I don't...

Like my belief that all Pedophiles are scum and have no place on this Earth , no one will ever change my views on that particular issue and I have a firm grasp on that rope. If someone challenged me on this , I know I would get angry with them.

that's a great analogy btw the tug of war

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

I'll admit that there are many that I disagree with but rarely say anything about it. I usually just skip past most of those long rebuttals to things I see here. I respect people's opinions whether I agree or not.
Attacking others because of their opinion is just flat out wrong. If you disagree? Just move on and forgetaboutit.

Rooster Rooster

In response to “I'll admit that there are many that I...

excellent comment Rooster (smile) thank you

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

In response to “excellent comment Rooster (smile) thank you

Welcome, ma'am!

Rooster Rooster

In response to “Welcome, ma'am!

She's a Mademoiselle. (hehe)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “She's a Mademoiselle. (hehe)

I think I'm a hit & miss

sometime's successful in my endeavors , sometime's not (smirk2) lolz

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

In response to “I think I'm a hit & **miss** sometime's...

I was gonna say Mizz Vampire .... (smirk2)

SynysterGates SynysterGates

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I agree. It's amazing how people these days...

thanks Will , it is a shame that there is such a divide now between the Conservative and the Liberal's on here and that's because as you say in most cases one side cannot accept the other sides opinions and neither side keeps this fact to themselves and then the name calling starts.

(no) many were friends

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

There a several people, here, that hold fundamentally different opinions than my own. Some, I am able to have constructive conversations with. And I respect those people, and their opinions.
But...there are those that gather together to criticize, humiliate, go to other sites to denigrate, people here, only because of differences. And...mostly, they are either blocked by or have blocked the people they are attacking. We all know who those people are. Their opinions I DO NOT respect, as I do not respect them, as people. When I see them spouting their hateful words and ideas, I will respond with vigor.
But hey....that's just me.

Carla Carla

In response to “There a several people, here, that hold...

As far as silencing them? When there are threats of violence, or when private live are invaded...yeah...i want them shut down.

Carla Carla

In response to “As far as silencing them? When there are...

Exactly. I'm tired of hearing that some of us want people with different opinions silenced. No truth to that at all! I want threats and vulgar name calling to stop and people harassed and stalked. Stalking is posting personal info and still being allowed here.

MonaLea

In response to “Exactly. I'm tired of hearing that some of...

When things get heated, things get said. It is the behind the back thing that gets me. Or calling out people that have or are blocked. In my mind...the people who have me blocked, no longer exist. They are of no concern to me. That is the way adults handle people who want nothing to do with them.

Carla Carla

In response to “When things get heated, things get said. It...

when I'm occasionally blocked I look at it like this

I don't go where I'm not wanted , so I won't even mention that someone has blocked me (especially out in forum) in fact most won't be aware that I have been blocked at all. (think)

but that's just my way and it works for me because I'm usually unblocked.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

In response to “when I'm occasionally blocked I look at it...

I mentioned one i got. Just because i was fuming. It was a short one. But the others? No I don't bring them up.
Huh..until right now...smh at myself:[
I generally don't even go on blocking posts.

Carla Carla

In response to “I mentioned one i got. Just because i was...

we all occasionally slip out of our normal mode when we're angry (nme) we're only human

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

Two of the worst perps with me had a block between us. Its why I unblocked everyone but one. One stays blocked because he will follow you around with his hate and nothing is done to him. But you handle him well. its great to see him get some of it back. (wink)

MonaLea

That just reminded my on this commercial. Ha!

https://ispot.tv/a/wJF8

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “That just reminded my on this commercial...

Haha...
There is that:)

Carla Carla

I promise not to talk about you again....hehe

JD JD

In response to “I promise not to talk about you again....hehe

:[.
You best not be talkin' 'bout me....

Carla Carla

In response to “:[. You best not be talkin' 'bout me....

Yes ma'am ...(zip)(zip)(zip)(zip)

JD JD

In response to “Yes ma'am ...(zip)(zip)(zip)(zip)

That looks uncomfortable:[

Carla Carla

In response to “That looks uncomfortable:[

The only way to keep me quiet....lol

JD JD

It happens more and more these days.
I don't know where people get the idea that there is no right or wrong anymore. That every point of view is valid and so on. We see it all the time here on Amirite. Most of the time conservative folks like me are told to STFU or go back to 1800's where I came from, loosen up and so on. I'm glad to see our senior moderator Ser did find a boundary line somewhere near pedophilia. But even in a recent discussion on that topic here I was dismayed to find so many willing to accept the depraved behavior. I was reminded that it's still legal in some states for example.

What CAN we do? Well, what I've been doing is standing firm on what I know is right and decent. Take the ridicule of the 'enlightened ones', fight back as appropriate.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “It happens more and more these days. I...

You are so willing to twist what others say to suit your narrative. Typical.

Carla Carla

In response to “You are so willing to twist what others say...

Thanks for the feedback Carla.

Shall I file that under;

STFU or
go back to 1800's where I came from

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Thanks for the feedback Carla. Shall I file...

File it where you please. I neither told you to stfu or go back in time.

I just pointed to your twisting of my words.
Is your need to be right in your position so strong that you feel justified in doing so?

Carla Carla

In response to “File it where you please. I neither told you...

I'm just glad you weren't injured as my point flew over your head!

[Not everything is about you Carla. I've been berated and abused by many in addition to you. I never mentioned WHO said what to me. Although, I do think you were the one that said pedophilia is legal in some states. I didn't check - it could have been someone else.]

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I'm just glad you weren't injured as my point...

Nope. It was me. I find it abhorrent that the barbaric practice of child marriage is allowed....anywhere.

Carla Carla

In response to “Nope. It was me. I find it abhorrent that the...

Child marriage? I could have sworn you were talking about pedophilia ... but, you're the one with a steel trap memory. I'll take your word for it.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Child marriage? I could have sworn you were...

"In some states it is considered legal. As long as there is a marriage"

Carla Carla

In response to “"In some states it is considered legal...

I agree that marrying children is sick and perverted.

For the sake of clarity, when discussing the matter, you might want to be more specific in as much as making a case for pedophilia could be at least complicated if the 'victim' is married to the perp.

Without an effort for clarity, one could make a case that information was purposely left out.

Does that make sense?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I agree that marrying children is sick and...

I thought it was clear. But I will take your word that it wasn't for you.
In my mind, there is no case to be made for pedophilia.
It especially makes me cringe when religion is used to condone it.
Unfortunately...little kids have been the toys for nasty ugly men for a very long time.

Did you ever see any of the short films that Shirley temple did before she broke into big pictures? Made with little boys. Very creepy. It is very clear who they were playing to.

Carla Carla

In response to “I thought it was clear. But I will take your...

I've not seen a major religion that condones or promotes pedophilia - other that Islam. I agree, it's horrible.

I've seen lot's of Shirley Temple movies. I don't recall little boys in the films - she kind of stole the show. Very talented at a young age. Maybe you're talking about movies not so main stream, really have to dig for?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I've not seen a major religion that condones...

Yes. Short films. She was almost a toddler.
As far as in this country, there are many small religious sects that over the years have been involved with multiple marriage including with young girls.

Carla Carla

In response to “Yes. Short films. She was almost a...

Again Carla - religion condoning pedophilia is a different topic than children getting married.

I understand that we assume sexual intercourse within marriage. And, we have agreed that we both disapprove of children getting married.

But, if you MEAN religion approving of children marrying, for the sake of clarity, that's what you should write! Your comment is unnecessarily inflammatory. And future comments will be assumed to be hyperbole as well.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Again Carla - religion condoning pedophilia...

Children marrying adults is pedophilia. There should be no confusion. My opinion on that should be clear.
Any one, any religion, that approves of and practices child mariage is condoning pedophilia.

Carla Carla

In response to “Children marrying adults is pedophilia. There...

I see.

What's it called when someone has the expectation that the world simply agree and not question a persons opinion? Would you call that narcissism? Or something else?

Budwick Budwick

In response to “I see. What's it called when someone has the...

You just can't help but poke, can you?
I stated my opinion. You don't have to agree with it, nor does anyone else.

And no, that isn't narcissism. It's conviction. You should know that, bud. You have it.

Btw...the definition of narcissism is a Google click away....

Carla Carla

In response to “You just can't help but poke, can you? I...

Poke? Come on Carla - here is what you wrote -

"In my mind, there is no case to be made for pedophilia.
It especially makes me cringe when religion is used to condone it. "

How is any person (without supernatural powers) supposed to understand that what you REALLY mean is that some religion allows under age marriage.

By the way, it's state law that governs the legal age for marriage.

Budwick Budwick

In response to “Poke? Come on Carla - here is what you wrote...

Those fringe sects pay no attention to state laws. You are of aware of that as I.
And "allowing underage marriage" is code for...condoning pedophilia.

Carla Carla

In response to “Those fringe sects pay no attention to state...

Have a good weekend is code for I'm outa here!

Budwick Budwick

If it's the recent discussion I also saw here recently, the only person I saw there in any way accepting or defending pedophilia, was the bimbo on a video 'Sunny' posted.

Piper2 Piper2

thanks Budwick (smile) Empathy , many want to empathize with others
I will never have an ounce of empathy for a Pedophile in any form even if it's seen to be Legal by some and by Law it makes me Sick to my Stomach to think about what some Young Girls are put through.

of course there is right & wrong but everyone's feelings about what is right & wrong are different very different in some cases and there are as you know so many factors that make us who we are and from those factors stem our own unique belief system , our own moral code.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

I'm not particularly interested in silencing others' opinions unless they include actual threats of violence or law-breaking. This also happens to be where the 1st Amendment draws the line (i.e. death threats are not protected speech, but almost everything else is). And in this case it's an action that needs to be dealt with, not so much an opinion that needs to be silenced.

For the most part, the solution to a bad opinion is a good opinion: to engage in a dialogue or an argument, not to try and silence the other person. If you think someone else has terrible ideas, then demonstrate that those ideas are terrible. Drown them out with your great ideas.

Sometimes the best solution is just not giving the person any attention at all. So what if some weirdo believes something I strongly disagree with? Who cares? Giving them attention might be exactly what they want and I don't want to play into that.

Thibault Thibault

In response to “I'm not particularly interested in silencing...

excellent comment Thibault (clap) thank you

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

Way too many people on here can't express their TRUE opinion without getting attacked and being labeled.

It's been going on since I've joined, members automatically label others because of a comment. I'm the culprit of body shamming, racist, bigot ... blah blah blah.

I skip a lot of posts just so I don't have to deal with some members. My life isn't here on Amirite, I come here to have fun ... or at least try.

If people don't like my opinion or me ... so what?

What will be ... will be.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “I agree!

I hate having to NOT express my true opinion due to the fact others will label me immediately.

I'm glad I don't meet them in real life, cause I'll say it there face.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

In response to “Way too many people on here can't express...

thank you SYN (smile) I agree when it comes to the labeling of others that it is out of control from both sides. More discussion , less labeling would be a good way to go because after all we are on here to discuss our opinions and to hear the opinions of others.

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP

In response to “thank you SYN (smile) I agree when it comes...

You can also add, how do you label someone online for his/her opinion? You can't.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

As will I! I like to just come here and enjoy myself for a while. I keep my opinions to myself here for the same reason as you do.

Rooster Rooster

Pretty much. With rare exceptions, I prefer to know what other people are thinking, feeling or doing, as opposed to trying to silence them.

Piper2 Piper2

I have little tolerance for hate speech. Racism, misogyny, heterosexism, anti-Semitism, etc...I loathe it and those who espouse it. I think it negatively effects all of us regardless of whether or not we are part of the targeted group.

I would not support "silencing" it as I don't believe in censorship. However we don't have to accept it, respect it, or give it any sense of validity. We should always oppose it whenever we encounter it.

Chris_PHAET_Demon Chris_PHAET_Demon

In response to “I have little tolerance for hate speech...

excellent comment Chris (smile) thank you

Darkest_Serenity Darkest_Serenity OP