I hear that automatic/assault weapons are made to do one thing. To kill lots of people. So why do police need assault weapons? To protect and serve? Disarm the police, and I will disarm. Not really, but you get the point.
  • Topics:LawArmsPolice
  • Featured on the home page on Mar 14th 2018
  • Post Of The Day on Feb 16th 2018

That's crazy. We need protection from bad guys who will always get illegal weapons despite the law. THAT's what makes them bad guys!!!

fitspat707BillDer

No. Cops are good, and wouldn't harm anybody. You can trust them.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

What. are you running a meth lab? What are you hiding?

VooDooYoo

Obey the law and you, your family, and your dog won't be killed.

Sunny_the_skeptic

Un-American TRAITOR!!

Nobody :(

Not ALL cops....

PhilboydStudge

I agree. You don't need automatic assault weapons to protect and serve.

DWF

Other

astral_queenTrishPiper2TiffaneeStarzAboveWill_JanitorTomboyJanetPartyOfOne

DW2BozetteWill_JanitorMashaSynysterGates

Explained by VooDooYoo...

IMO, the biggest potential threat to American citizens is the trigger happy police and the laws & procedures that protect them. I have some substantial fire power to protect myself from those who have lots of guns, like the police.

I don't see street cops walking around with assult weapons. SWAT teams are a different story. If they are called in you might want to disarm immediately. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

Most of the police I know personally have a stash of AR15 and other automatic weapons IN THEIR HOMES. What for?

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

Cops need the assault rifles to defend the American people. As for having them in their homes, I seriously doubt that.

I know only one law enforcement officer and he doesn't have an AR15 gun in his home or on the job.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “Cops need the assault rifles to defend the...

You know of only one, and I know dozens. So what do base your "doubt" on? The one? I've seen them, and many cops are gun "collectors".
Protect the American people from what? I thought gun laws were supposed to do that.
Were you a part of the group the other day, who was admonishing the cops in Tennessee for an unjustified shooting?
The police officer in my image is clearly from the American NYPD.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “You know of only one, and I know dozens. So...

Being a gun collector and carrying an assault weapon every day is a different story.

SWAT teams in the USA might have those types of guns, but the ordinary policeman would not have them.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I don't see street cops walking around with...

I didn't paint the photo. It's NYPD.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “I didn't paint the photo. It's NYPD.

Sorry. My point of view is from a small town in WI. I don't do NYC. Ha!

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “Sorry. My point of view is from a small town...

To be honest, I purposely used the NYPD photo, because I KNOW most smaller towns and cities don't use assault rifles. I knew there would be those who would point that out. (wink) NYC and LA is still America.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

OH Will you are a cheese head? German or Danish (what)

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred

In response to “German.

OK Will I knew it would be one or the other. My very ex boy friend was from wisconsin he was Danish decent. But probably loved beer more than any germans(roll)

In response to “For sure.

What is this cop using to kill his victim?
https://youtu.be/OflGwyWcft8

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “What is this cop using to kill his...

I didn't see him kill anyone. If you know so many cops personally, why are you so afraid of them.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I didn't see him kill anyone. If you know...

I'm not afraid of them. I'm armed.
oops... apparently they cut the shooting out. I'll get a new video if that's necessary, or you can take my word for it, he shoots the guy down with hands up, crawling on the floor, and kills him.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “I'm **not** afraid of them. **I'm**...

There will always be bad apples in every barrel, but there are also a lot of good cops out there. But people always pick out the dirty cop to complain about. But who is the first agencies we call when we need help. Right....law enforcement....for accidents, domestic abuse, drunk drivers, school shooters, look how fast they caught that shooter. I admire them.

I trust the cops, they put their lives on the line every day for you and me, whether you are man enough to admit it.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “There will always be bad apples in every...

Correct, and there will "always be bad apples" in society who shoot up schools and concerts....RIGHT? So it's not the gun, is it?
Anyway, I found the full, unedited video.
"Man enough"? Why are you attacking me personally?
https://youtu.be/VBUUx0jUKxc

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “Correct, and there will "always be bad...

I don't need to see any video. People can create any video they want, heck, that might be a video from a game. But you're wrong, it is the gun. If he hadn't had an assault weapon, there wouldn't have been so many kids killed. I'm glad the police were there ASAP, and you should be too, instead of dissing the cops. Next time you need help, don't call law enforcement.

StarzAbove StarzAbove

In response to “I don't need to see any video. People can...

Yes, you are reasonable. lol lol I made up the video. Ya got me.
WOW!!
I never need help, and I never call law enforcement.

If the cops had been disarmed in Tennessee, Michael Dial would be alive today. Another made up video. lol lol

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In 1980 there were ~3,000 SWAT raids per year. By 2013 that number increased to over 80,000 despite declining crime rates. The 1033 program, which gives surplus military equipment to every podunk PD in the country has one requirement...that the equipment (including armored vehicles) be used within one year or they forfeit it...hmmm, I wonder why SWAT raids have increased exponentially. (hmm)

https://www.rutherford.org/publ...ccupying_force

For anyone interested in what their state or county has received under the program, here's an interactive database:
https://bridge.caspio.net/dp.as...cfe6ca4b13a8a4

Bozette Bozette

An AR 15 is not an automatic weapon. I doubt if any cops have any automatic weapons in their home. As to an AR15, I don't blame them. I like a high capacity weapon/magazine as well. If the shit hits the fan, I don't want to be standing there without any bullets left in my gun.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

In response to “An AR 15 is not an automatic weapon. I doubt...

According to the gun control people, it is made to kill a lot of people. Automatic, assault, rapid fire....Semantics.
That's right. I want as many rounds as those who are shooting at me.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “According to the gun control people, it is...

You have automatic which is to pull the trigger once and empty the magazine. Those are illegal in most places. Then semi auto is pull the trigger for every round. They both can kill a lot of people but it's not really semantics. They are still very different. :)

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “You have automatic which is to pull the...

Acknowledged... but ...that has nothing to do with the post.
Disarm EVERYONE, including the cops and THEIR quick kill weapons, and I will disarm. Until then, I will protect myself.
987 people were killed by cops in 2017, far more than the nut cases with an AR15.
Remember the post on this site about the guy in the hotel hallway, returning to his room? He was crawling on the floor, hands behind his head begging for his life? Shot by the cop with a semi automatic rifle.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “Acknowledged... but ...that has nothing to do...

I do recall that post. Very disturbing.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I do recall that post. Very disturbing.

Not to worry. I "made up" that disturbing video.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

I am not disagreeing with you either. I don't carry on my person, but I have no intention of giving up my arms.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “I am not disagreeing with you either. I don't...

I know you aren't...and you are also not diverting to attack ME, as at least one is (hehe)

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

What's this cop using to slay his victim??

https://youtu.be/OflGwyWcft8

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “What's this cop using to slay his...

It was fired as a semi automatic. I don't know if it had a selector switch on it.

Will_Janitor Will_Janitor

In response to “It was fired as a semi automatic. I don't...

Just as dead murdered, though.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

Not all police officers need assault rifles, but the ones that do.. disarming them would make them sitting ducks.

PhilboydStudge PhilboydStudge

In response to “Not all police officers need assault rifles...

Yep. And we are sitting ducks as well without equal fire power.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

Considering the prevalence of police brutality I can totally get behind this

DWF DWF

In response to “Considering the prevalence of police...

Exactly, and they have the laws and internal policies to back them up.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

Here in Canada we have CTT aka Canadian Tactical Teams, SWAT in the USA. They are the ones using military assault weapons as well as the RCMP DEA, Anti Terrorist team etc. Everyday regular police don't use these weapons, so my answer would be no.

SynysterGates SynysterGates

I'm very curious to see how many people who were appalled the other day by the cops on this post
http://www.amirite.com/818089-a...s-or-justified
and will defend the cops on the current post. lol

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “I'm very curious to see how many people who...

Since that is my post and all, I will say that it was mostly the Sheriff who gave his officers the directive to use fatal force against a man who was not known to be guilty or suspected of any serious crimes, that appalled me. He was more concerned about his patrol cars getting beat up, than a life.
That, and his cavalier attitude and bravado, about "taking out" that ole boy who lived in a trailer park, who he'd once "whooped" and had in his jail.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “Since that is my post and all, I will say...

I agree. Some Sheriff's depts and police units can be dangerous when they are given Carte Blanche. That's my whole point.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

The problem is more in the mentality of certain cops to go action movie whenever the slightest shit happens then get a buzz from it and go "WWOOOO I LIVE FOR THIS SHIT!"

TomboyJanet TomboyJanet

In response to “The problem is more in the mentality of...

AND in the mentality of certain loony tunes in the general public. Cops killed far more people annually that the lone gunman with an assault rifle. I'll wager that cops kill more people annually,unjustifiably, than the lone gunman with an AR15.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

I hear that too, and find it to be mostly true. In spite of all the sickening and what I feel were unjustified killings by law enforcement officers that I'm aware of, I still don't think they are the biggest potential threat to most American citizens. IF that should become the case in the future, having substantial fire power would undeniably be a good idea for survival.

What would have changed in the outcome of Michael Dial, do you think, if he had been armed with an AR-15 style weapon, or any gun? He would still either be dead, or on the run his whole life.

Piper2 Piper2

In response to “I hear that too, and find it to be mostly...

I don't know, but I DO know that if the cops weren't armed, Michael Dial would be alive today, unless he drove off a cliff.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

In response to “I don't know, but I DO know that if the cops...

Well, he sure wouldn't have been shot and killed by an on-duty law enforcement officer, anyway, if none of them were "armed". (d)

Piper2 Piper2

By the way, for the record, I do not own any assault style, automatic, or semi automatic weapons. All one has to be is a good shot.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

Again: cops are people - some who will do their job as the general public expects, and other officers who will handle things in the wrong way; you should never lump them all together, just as you shouldn't with the population.

As far as the weaponry, I'm all for the police having the advantage because many times they're up against people who would quickly use an advantage in very savage ways first and every chance they had.

PartyOfOne PartyOfOne

In response to “Again: cops are people - some who will do...

But they don't need assault style weapons, designed for one purpose according to the gun control people... to "kill lots of people". If the gun control crowd is correct, and these weapons ARE made for one purpose only, to kill lots of people, then why would the cops need them?

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

The "automatic/assault weapons" everyone refers to are semi-autos, which require one trigger pull per round...and they look really, really scary to people unfamiliar with guns. They are no different from your average hunting rifle or handgun and often are lower caliber.

Bozette Bozette

In response to “The "automatic/assault weapons"...

Bingo. You can put a Ferrari body on a VW but it still runs like a VW.

JustJimColo JustJimColo

If cops disarm themselves they might as well jump off a ledge, they often run into situations where they need guns.

Sunny_the_skeptic Sunny_the_skeptic

In response to “If cops disarm themselves they might as well...

Why do they need assault type weapons, designed to "kill lots of people"? I say disarm EVERYBODY, including the police.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

I’m not seeing any point here, last I knew it was people that killed people not guns. When someone kills another by let’s say strangulation it’s said that person killed so an so. I’m so sick and tired of hearing this **** about guns killing people FFS

Rose_Bud Rose_Bud

In response to “I’m not seeing any point here, last I...

The point is, if the gun laws worked, the cops wouldn't need THEIR guns either.
Gun laws DON'T work, so if the cops need guns, so do we the public.
Either no one has a gun, or everybody does.

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP

Police need to have the better weapons cause everyone on the street has a big gun now.

In response to “Police need to have the better weapons...

So gun laws don't work?

VooDooYoo VooDooYoo OP